I finally started my pond

/ I finally started my pond
Brandi, what are the chances of hitting water before you get to the full depth you want?
The reason I ask is because I read that your overflow drain isn't going to be full depth. As I cautioned before once you can't keep the work area dry.................your done, unless you have access to an excavator.

Sincerely, Dirt

Dirt,
I have a little clear water that has seeped in at 10 feet. I am going to try to take off work Monday night to finish digging to depth. I have about a 16 x 16 area at 10 feet dug. I am just digging to 9 feet now. Then I will dig 8 feet, then 7. My backhoe is turned sideways to do this, so it is hard to slope it smooth. I can dig a ditch about 100 feet to a gully if I really need to do so. Then I can put some 2 x 12s over the ditch in the driveway to drive over if I have to. Forecast is dry all this week.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,

Can you run a culvert across the top of your driveway and then use the dirt from your pond to build up the driveway so it's a gradual climb up and over it?

What do you have for a surface on your driveway now? If its gravel,then it should be simple to scrape it off and re-use it again when you need it.

The difference in how much water that flows through an 18 inch culvert compared to a 15 inch is significant. It's a huge amount of water that the 18 inch can handle. How much water do you get there on a really bad rain? What about a when it rains for days and days? I know that one inch of rain when the ground is dry is one thing, but a one inch rain when the ground is wet and saturated is a totally different thing. Plan for the worse conditions that you can imagine, and hope you never see it happen.

Eddie

Eddie,
In the photo I am removing the short concrete that is joined to a 12 inch black plastic culvert. This spot , as you can see, could be enlarged to 18 inch culvert. The driveway is clay with concrete wash out over it. Tilt the culvert up a little and it should be at the right elevation.
We get a lot of rain water coming down the road and ditches. Don't really want all of that going into the pond. It goes through a culvert right next to the dam. I have some wet weather springs near my work shop and barn. But I don't think I have any near the pond. We will see. I can see how it can be a fun game trying to either keep water out or searching for more when it rains and how to divert it into your lake.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 1-4-09 Removing the old culvert.jpg
    1-4-09 Removing the old culvert.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 905
Where can I get anti seepage collars for 6 inch PVC and 18 inch corrigated black plastic pipes? I didn't see or missed any links on Pond Boss.
hugs, Brandi

/ I finally started my pond #24  
Brandi,

Looks like you have a nice project started. I would love to have a pond but I don't need to add anything to the projects list:eek:.

Keep posting pics of your progress. I am sure it will turn out great!

David

Brandi,

Looks like you have a nice project started. I would love to have a pond but I don't need to add anything to the projects list:eek:.

Keep posting pics of your progress. I am sure it will turn out great!

David

Thanks David. How about bringing your dozer over. I sure could use it about now.
hugs, Brandi

/ I finally started my pond #26  
thanks for keeping us updated with pics......i'm learning here.......i hope to build/have built a pond too...

thanks for keeping us updated with pics......i'm learning here.......i hope to build/have built a pond too...

Flatheadyoungin,
Your welcome. One thing I learned and want to pass on is if you dig a pond with a loader and backhoe.....made sure you make it wide enough to turn around in. I have to leave the pond to swap ends. If I had it wider, I could have just used the loader bucket to dig the pond.
hugs, Brandi

/ I finally started my pond #28  
Brandi,
Thanks for pointing me to this thread and sorry to miss you at the Ag show this year.
Although I know nothing about pond building, I'm inspired to see you digging it with your Mahindra.
I'm contemplating doing the same with my Kama and Loretta's Jinma sometime in the near future. Our tractors are a little smaller than yours, but I've done lots of earth moving with the Kama already. One of my concerns is our land is full of granite and boulders, which might make it impossible to do the whole thing ourselves. Looks like your soil is much more manageable than ours is. We'll give it a try anyway...at least do as much ourselves as we can.
Nevertheless, it's great to see you do it all yourself like that.

Between your thread and Eddie's and the others here, I'm sure there is enough information that your pond will be a success. I hope to learn even more from all the information when I dig mine. lol ... It sure is different from just "digging a hole" like I though a couple years ago. Good luck and keep the posts coming. I'll be checking in to view the progress on a regular basis.
Rob-

/ I finally started my pond #29  
bindian....pond liner? Looks great. :D

Brandi,
Thanks for pointing me to this thread and sorry to miss you at the Ag show this year.
Although I know nothing about pond building, I'm inspired to see you digging it with your Mahindra.
I'm contemplating doing the same with my Kama and Loretta's Jinma sometime in the near future. Our tractors are a little smaller than yours, but I've done lots of earth moving with the Kama already. One of my concerns is our land is full of granite and boulders, which might make it impossible to do the whole thing ourselves. Looks like your soil is much more manageable than ours is. We'll give it a try anyway...at least do as much ourselves as we can.
Nevertheless, it's great to see you do it all yourself like that.

Between your thread and Eddie's and the others here, I'm sure there is enough information that your pond will be a success. I hope to learn even more from all the information when I dig mine. lol ... It sure is different from just "digging a hole" like I though a couple years ago. Good luck and keep the posts coming. I'll be checking in to view the progress on a regular basis.
Rob-

Rob,
Glad to inspire. I only had clay to dig in. I am sure you will need help with the rocks. Here are the latest two photos of the pond. I am going to call it Lake Marie in honor of my mother. Her middle name was Marie. The stump will get a root trimming and may even be removed for some broken culverts. The other photo is from my deck. It shows the driveway curving around the pond. The clay island is about 4 feet high in about 8 of water once full.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 1-18-09 Pond construction continues.jpg
    1-18-09 Pond construction continues.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 1-17-09 Stump in Pond with soon to be submerged island.jpg
    1-17-09 Stump in Pond with soon to be submerged island.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,441