I got a dump truck! How does it work?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
The title is no joke... I don't know how this thing works... it's an old ford that I'm borrowing. It was delivered today and I have never run it. I can drive it, it's just a 5 speed with air brakes. I don't know how to lift and lower the bed. The 2 knobs in the last picture operate cables, each one pulls out. That looks like the best bet for controls. The block in the floor looks to be spreader controls and there is no spreader. Anyone have experience you can share?

20230608_175759.jpg20230608_211452.jpg

20230608_211516.jpg

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #2  
The pair of buttons at the 3rd photo ,I think are red herrings.
The 2 dials and lever are the contros you want. 1 dial will engage or disengage the pto. The lever is to raise(back) hold(centre position) and lower(forward) the body.
The 2nd dial would likely be for the tailgate trip. I am assuming the trips are manual, and that you can do spreading.
When tipping make sure you are level and STAY level as you tip.
Good Luck

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #3  
There should be a short shaft off the left side of the transmission--that's the PTO output. Where it exits transmission, follow the air line up into that cab and find out where it leads to. That'll be the PTO clutch control. I agree it's likely to be one of the floor controls, unless on the dash there is a particularly large switch, in which case it's probably that. You can also move controls randomly with the main clutch engaged until you hear a terrible grinding sound, which will be the PTO trying to turn on. To engage, disengage main clutch and activate control, then release clutch pedal. When the PTO is engaged the small shaft from the transmission will be spinning. Then the long handle should give you the bed control--it will move the hydraulic valve that is live when the PTO is engaged.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #4  
What are you hauling?
Spreading or dumping?
Private property or open road?
Watch some Youtube videos
Watch out for power lines

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #5  
One of the knobs under the dash is going to be to engage the pto and the other one is to idle it up and then the one beside the seat will work the bed and one of the knobs should unlock the tailgate

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #6  
The wide spread of opinions on this is amazing!
From my experience my guess is you want the 2 knobs under the dash on the left side. 1 is your cable to engage the pto to power the dump. You must depress the trucks clutch before you pull on the right knob.
The other knob is your control valve and usually you pull to raise and push to lower.
The knobs on the floor to the left of the seat are controls for a sander. Disregard these.
Only operate the pro for dumping, engaging and disengaging for each dump.
Only raise the dump on close to level ground (doesn't need to be perfectly level)
Dumping downhill is helpful for a tired hydraulic system or overloading.
I could be completely wrong if this is an old municipal plow truck. Many of these have a direct drive to the pump and no operator input is required, but this is my guess and I'm sticking to it. 😆

Last edited:
   / I got a dump truck! How does it work? #8  
The knobs under the dash are for the dump bed. The right knob is marked PTO. With transmission in neutral, and clutch disengaged while stopped, pull the knob on the right out. That will engage the PTO. Let out on the clutch, normally, pulling out on the left knob will raise the bed. If you are just dumping in a pile, pull the left knob out, and it will power up. Once it reaches maximum height, push knob halfway in for the hold position if you want to pull away from the pile, and completely empty the bed.

More than likely, it has power down too. If like mine on level ground, it raises pretty high and you'll need to power down some by pushing in the left knob until it stops, until gravity takes over. At that point, you can push in on the clutch, and push the PTO knob in. When the bed sets on the frame, pull the left knob back out to the middle position. The middle position should also be a hold position on the bed, if say you want to raise the bed half way.

If you want to tailgate stone, being it is a straight 5 speed ( not seeing a 2 speed rear end button or cable on the shifter ) it's probably geared low enough to take off and spread in 2nd. gear. Unless it's an air gate, the tailgate trip lever, if it has one should have a light piece of chain with a large loop on the end to put over the trip lever to keep it in place. There should also be a piece of rope on the trip lever. The trip lever should have a light snap to it going over center when the gate is latched shut. If it's worn as much as I think it might be, and it hasn't been adjusted up for wear over the years it probably won't take much to trip the gate.

Some manufacturers weld a little loop on the trip lever handles to hook a rope on using snap like on a lead rope. Or, have a hole in the handle to put a rope through. If you're planning on tailgating stone, you'll want a piece or rope, preferably soft nylon 3/8" rope approx. 36" long with a 6" or so loop on the end you'll be pulling with. This is extremely handy when tailgating stone.

If tailgating stone you'll want to set the chains so the gate opens, minimum 2X as wide as the stone you're spreading. You'll have to experiment with it depending on how thick you want to stone. Putting down a thicker base, or just top dressing. While setting still, raise the bed about 1/3 of the way up to make sure you have stone against the tailgate. If it will take off in second gear with a load on before trying to tailgate, place in second gear and get moving before pulling the trip lever. If you trip the lever before moving, you'll have a pile of stone you'll need to knockdown. Depending on how good you are on the clutch, if tripping from a dead dig it's been known to kill the engine and will be dumping stone in a pile until you get it restarted and moving. It's a learning curve if you've never done it before. More than likely, once you start moving you won't be able to change gears, due to gear pressure on the transmission with the PTO engaged. You'll just have to watch in the mirror and see how thick the stone is being put down and adjust speed from there.

The controls on the floor with dials and lever are for a salt/cinder spreader. If the PTO is engaged DO NOT mess with that lever. Just make sure it is in the off position and leave it there and set both dials to "0". If the lever is set in the engaged position with no spreader on, there's a good change pressure will deadhead against the pump and burst a hydraulic hose that goes more than likely from that control to the back of the truck, inside the frame. Not good if you have a load on and have to shovel it off until that hose gets repaired. That truck appears to be an 80's model, and a good chance the hoses are original.

Always be aware of tree limbs, power/telephone lines overhead when dumping, or especially tailgating. On a truck that size, the bed will easily raise above the 13'-6" legal height, but most residence lines aren't normally that high. It's not rocket science, just takes some common sense. Always be aware of what is overhead, and your surroundings.

Last edited:
   / I got a dump truck! How does it work?
Operation fiddle with it and find out was a success. It is the under dash knobs. The right one is PTO the left one is the up and down valve.

Now the issue is the bed only goes up about a foot. I assume it needs hydro oil. I'm on my way out this morning for a long weekend getaway with the family so I'll have to figure it out mid next week.

I'm just moving shale from a pile to build a driveway. Staying off the road. I dont plan on trying to tailgate i don't think shale will.

Thanks for your help everybody!

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #10  
Operation fiddle with it and find out was a success. It is the under dash knobs. The right one is PTO the left one is the up and down valve.

Now the issue is the bed only goes up about a foot. I assume it needs hydro oil. I'm on my way out this morning for a long weekend getaway with the family so I'll have to figure it out mid next week.

I'm just moving shale from a pile to build a driveway. Staying off the road. I dont plan on trying to tailgate i don't think shale will.

Thanks for your help everybody!
You're off to a good start. Good luck.!!