I got a dump truck! How does it work?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work?
Spent half the day yesterday changing tires. Had a flat on one of the drive tires. Called a service truck and they wanted $600 for three service call and 1 tire, ouch. My neighbor found 8 of them mounted on rims already for $100 each. I bought 4 of them. I don't have tools large enough for it so he brought a big jack and a 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar and helped me. He's a good guy. It took us probably 3 hours to change the 4 rears. I stripped the threads out of 2 nuts, replaced 2 more nuts on top of that and 4 studs. Now it's got new...er matching tires on the rear!

They are 10.00-20 on Dayton split rims. Apparently those are hard to come by and dangerous. The star hub stays on the truck and the rim is held on with wedges like an old tractor.

There was a little whethering on the old ones... 20230805_081430.jpg20230805_081445.jpg16912420668149091171666095669570.jpg

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #93  
Those are dangerous in more ways than one. The Dayton wheels are getting less common as older trucks cease to be on the road. It is critically important to keep them at correct torque. Buy a torque wrench, use it often. I had a triaxle trailer with Dayton wheels. It was a nightmare keeping tires on it, & I failed one trip to check torque, Lost a wheel less than a mile from home.

These being mounted, you must check runout on the tire. Experts use a hammer to correct run out before final torque.