I have a bad feeling about this

/ I have a bad feeling about this
One major problem with calcium filled tires is that it is good when properly installed in good tubes.
To do the job "properly" is very time consuming. Also a second consideration is that todays tubes are no where near the quality and durability of just ten years ago.

When a calcuim filled tire is worked on because of a flat, calcium has gotten in the tire carcass and rim. Once a tube has been pumped down and removed from the tire the entire tire and rim has to be thoroughly washed out and extremely well rinsed. The tire repaired if needed and if the tube is going to be repaired it is going to require scrubbing to be cleaned enough to reinstall after repairing. Any residual calcium chloride left on the tube, tire or rim is going to cause major corrosion problems.
Even at $80-$120 for a new tube that is less then the labor charge would be to clean and repair a tube, unfortunately.

Once a rim has rust and corrosion started it can be saved but only if you do not consider your time as a cost or dollar value.
Starting with the wire brushing (power) to get the scale and rot off the rim then the grinding to clean up the rim where it will need welding to replace the missing metal and the repairing of the valve stem hole as is often required then grinding the welds smooth as a babies butt do as not to chafe a tube. Then priming and painting with quality paints letting it cure and then remounting everything. You are looking at 3-5 days of your labor, and if paying someone else to do the labor you will spend more then a new rim even if you have to have a new rim custom made.

I have repaired rims before, the tractor is down for a week and it is a lot of time and tedious work to do a good job and it is too much work to do a halfassed repair that will not last.

This rim had damages that required repair at the valve stem hole and on both sides of it.
View attachment 833626

View attachment 833627

I didn't think to take a picture as I was repairing the valve stem hole, I had welded in a washer and ground it to the proper shape before the repairs next to it.
View attachment 833628

The finished project
View attachment 833629

View attachment 833635

This was the starting point, the damage was around the valve stem hole and on both sides of it.
View attachment 833639

It was better then a week long part time project .
Thanks, this does look way worse than mine. I'll know more next spring when I have the tires unmounted. I'll look for good deals on used rims in the meantime.