I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #11  
Aluminum can be heated and straightened easily but there is a fine line between when it's hot enough to bend and melting. When the aluminum starts to melt it doesn't do it in slow motion. It's kind of like "poof" and it's gone.

I found that it's a whole lot easier to find that spot where it bends, but doesn't melt by using MAPP gass instead of Oxy/Actelyne.

I'm no expert, but I've had to straighten my boat bimini top poles more than once :( You'd think I would learn.

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader
Thomas, that's funny, I am an electrician but I don't have the ability to bend 3". They have a bending table at the refinery where my brother works. This flagpole is 24' long. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take it anywhere. Thanks for your help.
-eddy622611

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #13  
If it makes you feel better, I hit the frame around my garage door TWICE within minutes one day with the FEL.. Went to pull in, turned sharp but not quite sharp enough.. WACK.. Back up a tad, turn sharper WACK again.. Exact same spot.. LOL

I came close to hitting the house with the FEL one day when I was also too lazy to take it off before mowing.. Last time I that lazy though..

Brian

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #14  
I know that dents in shotgun barrels are frequently straightened by using an expanding plug on the inside.

Could you do something similar here with 2" or 2 1/2" iron pipe inside the flagpole.

At a minimum a piece of iron pipe inside the pole would prevent too much of a collapse or wall buckling while you tried another means of straightening it.

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #15  
I found that it's a whole lot easier to find that spot where it bends, but doesn't melt by using MAPP gass instead of Oxy/Actelyne.

I'm no expert, but I've had to straighten my boat bimini top poles more than once :( You'd think I would learn.

It will melt with MAPP gas. I think you know what you are doing. Aluminum doesn't do well when bent cold. I take my loader off now. I can't watch a RFM and a loader at the same time. I have a couple of mangled trees to prove this.

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader
Thatguy, I save the garage doors for my truck. I've hit two with the ladder rack so far. The second time I recognized the noise and stoped. The first time not so lucky. I thought it was going to take a new door. The door guy said he had seen alot worse. He got it shut and ordered a new panel, some hinges and wheels. It cost about 1/3 of a new door. Thanks for the support, eddy622611

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #17  
Make a couple of V blocks out of 4x4s and rest the pole in the blocks with the bend facing up. Maybe about 4' between blocks. Slide it under your tractor and use a hydraulic bottle jack to push down on the bend using the weight of your tractor.

Dan

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #18  
You have a hydraulic bender on your tractor. Block up the mast, secure it so it wont spin and center your FEL over the high point. Gently down pressure.

Make a few angle iron brackets to set your pole in on the pressure points, when straightening. This will help keep you from putting any kinks in it. I have spent most of my life as an autobody technician, before I became a tractor dealer, and still do some auto body repair & painting.

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #19  
Use a comealong or chain fall.

/ I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader #20  
Please excuse the crude drawing! :eek:

Apply the heat in the top of the crown, in a round to oval shape; bring it down the side of the pole in a "V" shape, let cool to the touch! If not enough after it is cool, do the same thing but a bigger oval on top of the crown, and a bigger "V". If you go to far, do the same thing, but on the opposite side. First try heating to a dull red.

Attachments

• Pipe.JPG
    Pipe.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 145