I need a bigger tractor

/ I need a bigger tractor #11  
My previous post was meant to be serious, by the way, given the property description you initially gave.

I dont like to be driving slow on hills with geared cars, so I doubt I'd like it with geared tractors. Thus my vote for hydro, in addition to all the usual reasons.

I believe the 4600 is the same as the 4700 except for the engine. I'd compare it against the Ford TC45 and the Kubota 4610. Given your concern about rough terrain and hills, I think you should check very carefully on (1) the ground clearance of these three tractors and (2) the maximum width of each of the three tractors with the tires you choose at their widest setting. I believe you will find differences between the three brands on these specs.

/ I need a bigger tractor
I looked on jdlawns too I have for like a year now. on the 4600 it has the power reverser and I like that alot, i drove one a while back, I dont want a hydro again that I have on my 4100, I dont think I like it for more money than the power reverser. With the 5105 you just get a collershift And I dont want that, cowboydoc how wide is your 4600 tire from tire in the back? thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PLOWER on 07/27/01 11:01 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Also cowboydoc whats a good price on a 4600 with a 460 loader? Thanks again

/ I need a bigger tractor #14  
Plower,
According to the manual 1907mm is the widest you can go which is pretty wide on these tractors. As far as a good price goes jdlawns has some of the better prices I've seen. They are even flexible on those prices. From what I've found personally about 25% off of list price is a really good deal. Majority of deals I see are around the 15-20% off list range. Others can comment of what they think but that's what I've found.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

I'm looking at the 5105 again. How do you operate the SyncReverser? That is the only transmission choice on this tractor. Thanks

/ I need a bigger tractor #16  
s2g10a4.gif

JD5105 Advantage Series

Key features
The following list identifies major features of the 5000 Advantage Series utility tractors:
· Designed for value- and price-conscious customers wanting a tractor in the 40 to 48 horsepower range.
· Attractive styling similar to the popular 5000 TEN Series.
· John Deere engineered and built engines.
· Largest fuel capacity in this horsepower class.
· Molded-in cup holder.
· 8F/4R SyncReverser™ transmission.
o Left-hand forward/reverse synchronized shuttle shift designed for loader use.
o Right-hand gear shifts 1-4 in-line.
· Comfortable new seat with contoured cushions and retractable seat belts.
s2g10a32.gif

s2g10a6.gif

SyncReverser™ transmission (8 forward, 4 reverse speeds)
8F/4R SyncReverser™ transmission is standard equipment.
This transmission is designed to match the excellent power and torque characteristics of the 5000 Advantage Series engines.
8F/4R SyncReverser™ transmission key features include
· 8 forward and 4 reverse speeds.
· Two-lever platform-mounted shift operation:
o Left lever selects A and B ranges and reverse. The A Range to Reverse shift is synchronized and provides the left-hand ''in-line'' shuttle shifting without coming to a complete stop that loader operators desire most. Shifting to B range requires coming to a complete stop.
o Right lever selects one of four speeds in forward or reverse in a collarshift ''in-line'' pattern that is new to our utility tractors.
· Neutral start switch requires that the range shift lever must be in the neutral position to start engine.
· Pressure lubricated top shaft for excellent durability.
· A quick-release lever on the steering console allows for a simple setting or release of the brake pedals in parking situations.
s2g10aa9.gif

Dual Clutch Assembly
SyncReverser™™ Transmission
Unique dual clutch includes both the transmission traction clutch and PTO clutch in one pack.
· Transmission traction clutch (B) is foot operated.
· PTO clutch (A) is operated independently of the transmission using a separate hand lever.
Inboard planetary final drives
Inboard planetary final drives distribute rear axle loads over three points for reduced stress on individual gears and shafts.
· Customers can expect longer life with less maintenance.
· Inboard design permits a wide range of wheel tread adjustments
18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

John Miller thanks thats great, do you have how to operate the Powr Reverser too on the 4700? Thanks again that helps alot

/ I need a bigger tractor #18  
<font color=green>John Deere</font color=green> PowrReverser™ TRANSMISSION

The 12x12 PowrReverser transmission is available on the 4500, 4600, and 4700 Tractors with 4WD. The PowrReverser transmission offers the customer a hydraulically shifted forward to reverse transmission.
This allows for ''clutchless'' shuttle shifting between forward and reverse with one lever for quick and easy direction change.
· PowrReverser transmission does not require the operator to use the clutch to shift between forward and reverse.
The 12x12 PowrReverser transmission features a hydraulically actuated wet clutch that takes the place of the dry type traction clutch. Two multi-disk clutch packs (one forward and one reverse) are hydraulically engaged when the directional (reverser) lever is placed in either the forward or reverse position.
Each clutch pack consist of three large 5-in. diameter clutch disks that operate in oil and are oil-cooled, allowing excellent heat dissipation and extended clutch life.
c20g4a24.gif

· Clutch ''A'' is used for the forward operation of the tractor.
· Clutch ''B'' is used for the reverse operation of the tractor.
Key features of the PowrReverser are:
· 12 forward and 12 reverse speeds.
c20g4a17.gif

· Reverser lever, located on the left side on the instrument console, allows operator to make direction changes without clutching.
o Fast shuttle shift for improved loader operation.
c20g4a37.gif

· Dual-cone synchronizers allow for sychronized shifts between gears for on-the-go shifting with the use of the clutch.
· Dual-cone synchronizers permit on-the-go, low-effort shifting between gears.
· Helical-cut gears for quiet operation.
· Well-spaced speeds for turf, loader, and transport work.
· Neutral start switch prevents tractor from staring when transmission (range) is not in neutral.
· Dual wet disk clutches provide long clutch life.
· Shifts between ranges are not synchronized.
The 4600 PowrReverser with creeper transmission option offers your customers 12 creeper speeds. These speeds range from 0.15 to 2.61 m.p.h.
The 4700 PowrReverser with creeper transmission option offers your customer 12 creeper speeds. These speeds range from 0.1 to 2.5 m.p.h.
o This speed is especially useful for applications such as golf course maintenance and spraying applications.

PowrReverser™ transmission key features include:
· 12 forward speeds and 12 reverse speeds.
· Hydraulic wet forward and reverse clutches for maximum durability.
· Hydraulic powershift between forward and reverse for maximum productivity, ideal for loader and rear blade applications.
· Excellent modulation allows the operator to shift the direction lever from neutral to forward or reverse, forward to reverse, reverse to forward, or to neutral from forward or reverse, all without depressing the clutch pedal.
· Two-lever platform-mounted shift operation.
o Forward lever selects one of four speeds, all synchronized shifts.
o Rear lever selects collar-shifted A, B, and C ranges.
· Directional lever, located on the left side of the instrument console, selects forward, reverse, neutral, and park positions.
· Synchronized shifts between speeds for on-the-go shifting with use of the clutch. Shifts between ranges are not synchronized.
· Constant mesh, helical-cut gears for quieter operation and excellent reliability.
· Fully enclosed, rigid shift linkages for short throw and crisp shifts.
· Positive park pawl on the transmission provides positive PARK and eliminates the need for a handbrake.
· Neutral start switch requires that the directional lever be in either the park or neutral position to start the engine.
· Pressure-lubricated top shaft for excellent durability.

Operating the PowrReverser® Transmission

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Stop tractor motion completely and depress clutch pedal before shifting range shift levers. Never rest a foot on the clutch pedal while driving the tractor. Select the proper gear and engine speed for the job. For light load operation, use higher gear and lower idle speed. For heavy load, use lower gear an higher idle speed.

The reverser lever is used to select direction of travel and N (neutral). Reverser lever must be in N (neutral) for the engine to start. The reverser lever can be moved to the forward or reverse position without depressing the clutch pedal.
The gear shift lever provides four gear positions. Gears may be changed while tractor is in motion if clutch pedal is depressed. Release clutch gradually to take up load smoothly.
NOTE: A low speed creeper gear is available as an option, providing a fourth speed range.
The range shift lever provides three speed ranges. Stop tractor and depress clutch pedal before changing speed ranges.
Using both the transmission gear and range shift levers in different combinations, twelve forward and twelve reverse speeds can be achieved.
1. Stop tractor motion.
2. Set throttle at the middle operating rpm.

MX4324
OMLVU11184_E0180.jpg

3. Depress and hold down clutch pedal (D) to shift the range shift lever (C).
4. Place gear shift lever (B) in the N (neutral) position.
5. Place reverser lever (A) in forward or reverse.
6. Choose a speed range on range shift lever (C) to match work application:
· A - High power/low speed operations such as tilling hard soil, mowing high grass or positioning backhoe.
· B - Operations including moderate tilling, hauling, and grass mowing.
· C - High speed operations such as transport and light mowing.
7. Choose a gear on gear shift lever (B) that matches the immediate power/speed requirements:
· 1st Gear - High power, low speed operations.
· 2nd Gear - Medium power, moderate speed operations.
· 3rd Gear - Low power, moderate speed operations.
· 4th Gear - Low power, high speed operations.
8. Release clutch gradually to take up load smoothly.
9. Adjust throttle speed.
· To maintain a constant operating speed, adjust the engine speed with the hand throttle.
· To repeatedly increase and decrease engine speed, leave the hand throttle set at the middle position and use the foot pedal to change the engine speed.
10. Reduce engine speed and move the reverser lever to the forward or reverse position without depressing the clutch to change tractor direction.

Driving Tractor- PowrReverser Model
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Always check area around tractor for bystanders and obstacles before changing tractor direction. Disengage PTO and raise attachment.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! To prevent transmission damage: · Always depress clutch pedal when changing forward travel gears while tractor is moving. · Depress clutch pedal and stop tractor motion before shifting range shift lever or changing direction. · Never rest a foot on the clutch pedal while tractor is in motion.

1. Start tractor engine.
2. Choose "A", "B", or "C" speed range on transmission range shift lever to match work application.
3. Move the reverser lever to the FORWARD or REVERSE position.
4. Depress clutch pedal completely.
5. Move the gear shift lever from "N" NEUTRAL to the gear "1" position.
6. Unlock park brake.
7. Release clutch pedal gradually to take up load smoothly.
8. Continue to shift gears while moving:
· Depress clutch pedal completely and shift to next gear.
· Slowly release clutch pedal.

{from John Deere’s Operating 4500/4600/4700 Manual} & Websites

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

John Miller thanks for those 2 things, that helps alot!!! I think I like the PowrReverser and I might get a 4700. But I have one more question for you guys, which would be the most stable on hills the 5105 or 4700? Or are they pretty much the same.