I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster?

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #1  

okfarris

Tractor
jd
I have several rental properties here in town. They are anywhere from 1/4 mile to 3/4 miles apart. I have finally figured out by the time I hook up my trailer (first removing anything on it), load the mower and travel to each location, unload, and put everything back up in my shop, I can almost road my current Zero turn to each property. I have a John Deere Z225 mower. I think it has a top speed of 4.5 miles per hour. So most of my time is on the road between each property. On the road means on a sidewalk.

Just wondering if there is a way to speed up the current John Deere Zero turn or if any one can point me to one with a higher speed.

I would like to go 9-10 miles per hour.

I would be interested in a 42" to 48" mower.

Thanks in advance for any imput.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #2  
Almost any zero turn could handle that speed. Unless your current mower is governed down it would be hard to speed it up.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #3  
It is possible. I'm not familiar with that exact machine, so let's just talk theory. Usually the drive consists of a pair of pumps and a pair of wheel motors. The pump is variable displacement and the motor is fixed. The easy thing to check is to make sure you are getting full stroke on the pump lever and the valves are opening all the way. After that it starts getting more difficult. Now you need either more displacement from the pump or less displacement from the motor. If you want to double your speed you need to double the pump, halve the motor or find a balance in between. You can also try to speed the pump up slightly by using a different pulley, but these pumps do have a limit to how fast they can be spun. Beyond optimizing what you currently have, i don't see pump or motor replacement as being cost effective and I don't recommend over speeding the pump either.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #4  
You will be limited by the hydro unit and the torque it can handle. Smaller rear tires and lower ground speed are there for a reason. I suspect you would be looking for trouble.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #5  
I have. A toro time cutter that travels at 7 mph. It is a 52" cut but you can get them in 42" I have been very happy with it.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #6  
John Deere 915b will run 11mph and will cut as fast as you can stand to sit in the seat. I have the 48" with the 25hp Kohler. Plenty of power!

Last edited:
   / I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #7  
My Grasshopper 725D will go 10mph and has a 61" deck, it cut's faster than I want to go.

Best part is, it does it sipping diesel very sloooooowly....

SR

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #8  
My F series Kubota will do 13 mph, and my Dixie chopper will do about the same. I would rather have a grasshopper to replace the F series and the Dixie chopper.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #9  
In looking at the JD parts breakdown the simple answer is no you cannot increase the travel speed of your current mower easily.

/ I need a faster Zero Turn mower or can I make mine faster? #10  
Agree with others that trying to increase speed on current mower will cause other problems. Most commercial zero turns will travel between 10 and 13 mph. The smaller ones with the deck size you are looking for typically go around 10 MPH. Look for a used commercial unit in good condition and you'll be happy. It is night and day compared to what you have now.