I Need Electrical Help!

/ I Need Electrical Help! #31  
Bird,
I had the same problem a while ago at work. I had Placed an order for new tubes (5 boxes of 30 -4' ers and 5 boxes of 2' U-tubes 12 per box) and got Phillips brand tubes. They had green colored end caps on them. As I started replacing them, I'd put new tubes in and the light wouldn't come on. Then I figured it was the ballast. So I replaced the ballast and put the new tubes in and all was fine. Then I noticed that every time I needed to change a tube I'd have to replace the ballast. When using my original ballast I noticed that out of 30 - 4' tubes in the first case, 12 didn't light up when installed and 8 of 12 U-tubes had the same problem. I didn't want to replace ballasts every time I needed tubes so I called the supply house, told him what ballast I had and the problems with the tubes. He replaced my entire order with Sylvania brand tubes of the same F40/CW number and have not had a problem since. I had nothing but problems with the green ended tubes and have not used them since. Maybe its just the brand of tube you are using.

Last edited:
   / I Need Electrical Help!
That's terrible, George. In the first place, these Philips tubes cost me about $80, in the second place those green ends sure are a pretty color;), in the third place they sure are nice bright lights when they work:mad:, and now you're telling me I need to spend the money again. Unfortunately, I'm thinking you're probably right.:( I haven't had time to check elsewhere, but I did stop briefly at Home Depot this morning, and I can buy complete new fixtures for $1.50 each more than just buying new ballasts.

The last time I went out in the shop and turned on the lights today, 2 on one switch lit up and 3 on the other switch, but sure enough I went up the step ladder, put my hands on the tubes one at a time and every one of them came on bright as ever.

Incidentally, I put 3 of those same tubes in the kitchen in the house and so far, they're still all working just fine.

/ I Need Electrical Help! #33  
If you just bought the tubes perhaps they will exchange them? Our company does a lot of business with many electrical supply houses so it was not a big deal for us to exchange the tubes. The counter man said many customers had the same problem getting the Phillips brand to light in a fixture with an existing ballast. Sometimes all I had to do was open the lens cover and touch the Phillips tube and it would light, but who wants to do that every day when I have hundreds of fixtures.

On a side note I found that the ballasts in the cheapy florescent fixtures at the local box stores don't hold up well. I tried to save money by buying some for my garage and basement 5 years ago and ended up tossing them after a year of constantly changing tubes or ballasts and bought new ones at the commercial supplier. Going on 4 years now with the same ballasts and tubes at home.

/ I Need Electrical Help! #34  
Bird said:
..... but sure enough I went up the step ladder, put my hands on the tubes one at a time and every one of them came on bright as ever.

I.....
Sounds like all you need is a hand on a stick to save you from dragging out the ladder.:)

Harvster said:
Sounds like all you need is a hand on a stick to save you from dragging out the ladder.:)

Yep, I did try touching them with a pool cue and that didn't do anything; have to put my hands on them.:cool:

/ I Need Electrical Help! #36  
Bird said:
Yep, I did try touching them with a pool cue and that didn't do anything; have to put my hands on them.:cool:
Try; 1]Barely damp sponge on a stick, 2]compressed air blast.
larry

SPYDERLK said:
Try; 1]Barely damp sponge on a stick, 2]compressed air blast.
larry

I didn't happen to have a damp sponge on a stick handy, but I do have a long nozzled blow gun and it actually worked.:eek:

/ I Need Electrical Help! #38  
Bird said:
I didn't happen to have a damp sponge on a stick handy, but I do have a long nozzled blow gun and it actually worked.:eek:
Charged particles in the stream. Good. Maybe itll suffice til you get some tubes that arent so marginal.
larry

/ I Need Electrical Help! #39  
George2615 said:
If you just bought the tubes perhaps they will exchange them? Our company does a lot of business with many electrical supply houses so it was not a big deal for us to exchange the tubes. The counter man said many customers had the same problem getting the Phillips brand to light in a fixture with an existing ballast. Sometimes all I had to do was open the lens cover and touch the Phillips tube and it would light, but who wants to do that every day when I have hundreds of fixtures.

On a side note I found that the ballasts in the cheapy florescent fixtures at the local box stores don't hold up well. I tried to save money by buying some for my garage and basement 5 years ago and ended up tossing them after a year of constantly changing tubes or ballasts and bought new ones at the commercial supplier. Going on 4 years now with the same ballasts and tubes at home.

Same here. I used to buy the cheap "shop lights" at HD and Lowes. Problem was that after a winter or two they would stop working. In short - I've found the $35 fixtures (from HD) with the cold start ballasts (running 10 years and still going) to be a much better deal than the $10 "shop lights".

Joe

I went to Home Depot again this morning, thinking I'd buy some Sylvania tubes to see if that helped. Home Depot didn't have them, so I went to Lowe's. Lowe's has lots of Sylvania tubes, but not in the "daylight" brightness. So I bought 2 GE "daylight" tubes. I also talked to Lowe's electrician and he felt sure the problem would be in the wiring; not in the light fixtures, but in the loop going to them. Personally, I don't think so. Anyway, I tried the two GE tubes and the first time, they flickered a long time, finally lit up, but still flickered more than the Philips tubes ever have. So then I talked to a young man at Locke Supply Co. and he just seemed to have no doubt that I just needed to change the "tombstones" (officially the "lamp holders"). Home Depot sells them in pairs for $3.97 a pair plus tax. Locke Supply sells them individually for less than half that ($.96 each). I just got 4 and changed the 4 in one fixture (the one that started acting up first). The tubes, or pins, do seem to fit tighter. And the lights came on instantly the two times I've tried them, but of course today so did all the other lights except one, so we'll see what happens in a day or two and I may be changing some others. Oh well, it was a good excuse to buy a really expensive wire stripper that I've wanted in the past; never did like the ones I've had for years.:rolleyes:

Right now, I'm thinking Marine1 had the right idea about the lamp holders. None appear damaged, and the pins on the tubes are straight and clean, but the contacts in the lamp holders are just not as tight against the pins as new ones.