I Pod question

/ I Pod question #11  
Are I-pods still very proprietary like they first were ?

Can you just dump mp3's on to its drive and get it to work ?

All the music I have is MP3's, mostly from my own collection that I "ripped". I have NEVER "bought" music from Apple or any other online source-did do the Limewire, Napster, and some others a few years ago...but I stopped all that.

/ I Pod question #12  
Are I-pods still very proprietary like they first were ?

Can you just dump mp3's on to its drive and get it to work ?

Yeppers. Np problems with MP3's.

The only thing you may need itunes for is to put the actual ipod into "hard drive mode", after that you can send MP3's to the IPOD, plus use it as a mobile hard drive for other data.

/ I Pod question #13  
Sig I am almost 60 and still have an 8 track in a box at home so I know what you are talking about. My wife goes out of the country once a week and packing space is always important. I got her an Ipod Nano last year, she loves it. Holds more than enough music and photos to share on her three day trips, battery life is good, cost about $125 if I remeber correctly. The darn thing is about 1 1/2" wide, 3" tall and less than a 1/4 thick. I just looked and she has 550 songs and 150 photos on hers with 5G of space left. If that fits your wifes needs the Nano is a pretty nice peice of equipment.

MarkV

/ I Pod question
Sig I am almost 60 and still have an 8 track in a box at home so I know what you are talking about. My wife goes out of the country once a week and packing space is always important. I got her an Ipod Nano last year, she loves it. Holds more than enough music and photos to share on her three day trips, battery life is good, cost about $125 if I remeber correctly. The darn thing is about 1 1/2" wide, 3" tall and less than a 1/4 thick. I just looked and she has 550 songs and 150 photos on hers with 5G of space left. If that fits your wifes needs the Nano is a pretty nice peice of equipment.

MarkV

I have a feeling I'll be going to Best Buy in the next couple of days (looked in todays sales flier and they have them). Now, since we don't have any type of sound system in the house (only a 10 year old radio sitting on the safe) I may really surprise her and get her one of those sound systems that the iPod can "plug" into. Anyone have one of those and or suggestions.

/ I Pod question #15  
I think the iPod is still the best MP3 player out there. The real advantage of the iPod is iTunes- the software that allows you to organize and purchase music, it also allows you to rip your current CDs to a digital format. For a novice you really can't beat the ease of use of both the device and the software. There may be better software and better devices, but it's very hard to beat the two together. As for it being closed, you can now purchase most of your music in a format that will play on other MP3 players without the Apple DRM- so it can be used without iTunes or an iPod. I do think it may cost a bit more to get the music without DRM. In my opinion, there are only two you should be considering- the Nano or the Touch. The shuffle doesn't have a screen and is difficult to navigate etc. If your goal is a music/podcast only device (although it can still play video), the Nano is the easy choice- it's small, has a video camera, is easy to use and less expensive. If you want to do more and use the device with the applications that are available- than the Touch is the way to go. The Nano is an MP3 playter, the Touch is a handheld computer that plays MP3s. I have a Nano I use around the homestead doing chores, on the tractor etc and use a Touch for work and travel- I use it as an organizer, to watch the occasional video, and a bunch of the apps from the iTunes store but don't use it as an MP3 player.

/ I Pod question #16  
I have a nano,daughter has the touch.Im not into the games,just the music so is why i bought the nano.The new nano has a camera,it was the same price at walmart as the older one.Ibought the older one because it held more songs-i dont care about the camera.
With the IPOD and ITUNES it really makes it easy to organize your music.Idownloaded all my cds on it and it all went in my ipod with just a click:)After xmas im going to start buying my music on ITUNES.Even though i listen to all kinds of rock,country and oldies ,i really like the older country.Lets face it CHARLIE PRIDE,GEORGE JONES,PATSY CLINE and others are getting hard to find on cd:D
I listen to my ipod on the travel to work on one of them fm transmitters,then all day on shuffle at work,Isleep with it at night with headphones:)Its one tough rig,i swear by it.
ALAN

/ I Pod question #17  
IPOD Nano. I love mine. So does my wife, she now wants her own.

/ I Pod question #18  
i ended up with a itouch the apps make it more entertanging than just music

/ I Pod question #19  
I started out with a cheap Memorex one MP3 player. Worked well. It took a lot of abuse. It was pretty nice. 128 MB of memory built in but then it would accept SD cards. You could swap out "types" of music for certain occasions. Then I purchased a Microsoft Zune. I love it. It is only a 4 gig, but my wife has an 8 gig. Very small and you can watch videos on them and also listen to FM radio. New ones even have HD radio. You can sync them up to your computer via your wi-fi in your house. You can also send songs to friends via the wi-fi so they can listen to it to see if they like it. I've played with the itunes software and some ipods themselve. I think the Zune has easier to use and has better audio quality - using the same songs and head phones. The only thing the ipod has going for it is all of the 3 party accessories made for them. Though I think a lot of them look pretty low quality.

For now, we will stay with our Zune.

/ I Pod question #20  
Even though I have been accused of being a luddite from time to time I have a classic 30gb Ipod that is in constant use. I have docking stations to our sound systems and a connection in the Toyota (it is a POS with limited capability and a high price). My step son has several nanos after multiple forays into MP 3 players. The Apple software and service is terrific. I bought my wife an Itouch for her last birthday. It too is now in regular use. Of all the Ipods we now have I too would probably say get a Nano:D

Last edited: