I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #21  
Good for nothing? They are about the best tire choice for loader work, which is why backhoes and other construction equipment comes with variations of that type of tire.

If your just considering turf-friendliness and farm-traction, then the R4s could be considered a mediocre compromise. But there are many other factors to consider.

Bought a used MX5000 with R4 5 years ago, its main task is logging and those tires really shine out there. They are more puncture resistant, they are also more stable due to their wider stance and they wont rut those logging paths quite as much as R1 when its wet.

They are perfect for my uses_ logging, FEL work and snow clearing_ I dont do any field work but if plowing tilling etc was even as little as 20% of my seat time then I'd go to R1s for sure.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4
Load the tires, and get the front of the logs off the ground. I skid large logs with my little B2920 with loaded R4 tires no problem.

Are you sure it's a 40 degree slope? That is almost 100% grade, and darn dangerous to be on with a tractor.

Actually, I'm not sure of the slope. I just guessed. It's steep enough that I would not try to go up it (again) with a two wheel drive tractor. I tried it one time with a TO-35 Ferguson pulling a 4 foot bushhog and almost didn't get back out.

That is definitely a concern. It can be alleviated by running a second safety chain from the choker to the drawbar. That way you use the 3-pt to lift the butt of the log, but the safety chain to the drawbar handles the forward pull and alleviates any "wheelie" types of loads about the axle.

One of those contraptions is my next purchase. One of my neighbors has a welding shop and makes them. Unfortunately he's been out of comission this summer from flipping his zero turn mower.

I'd check your owners manual or with your dealer before adding that many rear wheel weights. I have a 6415 and maximum rear weights is 3 per side.

I will check that. I'm planning on putting 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside. I'll put 3 on on the inside if they will fit and clear the fender bracket. Mathmatically the weights would roughly be the same as loading the tires.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #25  
Tire hains???
Lots of guys use them to pull logs out of the woods.

Brian

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #26  
Tire Chains???
Lots of guys use them to pull logs out of the woods.

Brian

Bump for update. I just spent today plowing with a MF 3-14 plow and the R4 tires worked pretty good. I was able to plow down about 8 inches with limited slipping using 4x4. I used first gear in B range with the throttle at PTO RPM's. I should probably also mention the 8 107lb (856 total lbs) weights I now have on the rear wheels as well. I got two on the inside of the rim and two on the outside of the rim. The outside ones stick out about 1/2 inch past the tires. Unfortunately I can't get the 5th one on each side without it sticking out too far to snag fence posts/trees/barn doors/cars/ect. The grease zerk on the axle had to be changed to a 90 to get the weights on and still add grease. The weights made a huge difference in the tractor.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #28  
I wouldn't put 5 weights on each wheel anyway, four sounds like alot to me. I have three weights on the outside and have considered doing what you did with two per side. It would seem the tire and wheel would be better balanced and in turn less stress on the axles and bearings.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #29  
Question to the OP remains open: Did you have the butts of the logs, closest to the tractor, ELEVATED? If the butts are elevated ground friction will be considerably reduced.

If you were plowing with the logs any kind of tire is going to spin.

Also, if you are plowing and the log butt or a branch stub encounters an immovable object like a rock, you tractor will rear up on its back wheels in 1/2 a second. It you are going up any kind of a slope the tractor will go over backwards in 1/2 second.

When I was new to tractors I went vertical in a John Deere 750 skidding one medium size log plow fashion on level ground, when the butt caught a ridge. It I had not been wearing the seat belt I am pretty sure the tractor would have gone over, not sure in which direction. Every pore opened and I dumped a pint of sweat.

O N C E....B U T - N E V E R - A G A I N !

FURTHER ON LOG SKIDDING:

'http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/244218-omni-manufacturing-omni-grabhook-hanging.html

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 221
   / I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #30  
Question to the OP remains open: Did you have the butts of the logs, closest to the tractor, ELEVATED?

If you were plowing with the logs any kind of tire is going to spin.

Also, if you are plowing and the log butt or a branch stub encounters an immovable object like a rock, you tractor will rear up on its back wheels in 1/2 a second. It you are going up any kind of a slope the tractor will go over backwards in 1/2 second.

When I was new to tractors I went vertical in a John Deere 750 skidding one medium size log, when the butt caught a ridge. It I had not been wearing the seat belt I am pretty sure the tractor would have gone over, not sure in which direction. Every pore opened and I dumped a pint of sweat.

N E V E R A G A I N.
did you get video?