I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4
Question to the OP remains open: Did you have the butts of the logs, closest to the tractor, ELEVATED?

Sorry, I must have missed your original question. I was pulling the butt end and did not have it elevated. I pulled the butt end as there were some knots and limbs that I knew would dig in if I pulled from the the top end. Maybe it was dumb logic, but I though I could see the butt end while driving the tractor and maybe stop if caught something. The knots and limbs were farther away and couldn't be seen as easily from on the tractor if I had pulled from the top end of the log. I now have one of those fancy 3-point hitch trailer pullers. The next time I'll use that and lift using the hydraulics so it won't dig in as much.

I'm a rookie, but I was very aware that the front end could lift up so I kept my front end loader on the tractor for weight out front and I was careful with my speed too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put 5 weights on each wheel anyway, four sounds like alot to me. I have three weights on the outside and have considered doing what you did with two per side. It would seem the tire and wheel would be better balanced and in turn less stress on the axles and bearings.

Four weights per side is probably less weight than filling the tires with fluid. The 16.9-24 R4 tires would probably hold at least 55 gallon of fluid. Rough fluid math 55 gal * 8 lbs per gallon = 440lbs * 2 = 880lbs total. Weight math 107 lbs * 4 per side = 428lbs * 2 = 856lbs. I did the inside/outside thing mainly so the weights wouldn't bang or hook onto anything. There are enough things to look at when using a tractor and equipment without intentionally adding another worry. If the tractor wheels fit between two objects I can go on through and get close to trees to bushhog without worrying about hooking that weight on a tree trunk and spinning around. In my opinion, it just looks better. Although I conceed the point that the dealer/JD warranty dept. might not agree with this thought process.

For a point of reference, my neighbor has a Kubota MX5100 with two weights inside and three outside (10 total for 1,070lbs) and additional 350 lbs on the front. He really likes doing things overkill. He helped me plow my field using a Dearborn 2-14 plow. He plowed 8-10 inches deep in 5th gear. He said he could have went faster but the plow wouldn't stay in the ground.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add some pics for posterity. It took about a can of paint to cover each weight thoroughly and I had to go over it twice. I found the JD yellow at NAPA for $6 a can. The hardest part of installing the weights was getting the lug nuts loose. I broke two 3/8 rachets before I switched to a 3/4 inch Harbor Freight breaker bar ($60 for a set of 3/4" set of sockets, rachet, and breaker bar). There are two weights on the inside, but it's kinda hard to see. I should have probably taken the tiller off for a better view, but I wanted to clean it up before storing and didn't want to unhook and then re-hook.

And no making fun of the dust on the tractor. It was from tilling up and re-doing a hayfield, not from just sitting in the barn.

Attachments

• 2012-10-04_17-39-29_794.jpg
    2012-10-04_17-39-29_794.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 2012-10-04_17-39-45_916.jpg
    2012-10-04_17-39-45_916.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited: