I think it's time to look for a harness.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I'm getting to a point where I don't feel comfortable on a roof, even a low pitch. On shingles it isn't so bad, but on metal, I just can't get footing I'm comfortable with. Between my back, hips, legs, knees and ankles, coupled with a faltering sense of balance, I just can't stand up like I see others doing.

Searches for terms like 'climbing harness' or 'safety harness' haven't come up with what I think I need which is a vest type, over the shoulders, around the waist and I'm not sure about leg straps. I want to be able to tie off to a variety of things including beams, rafters, or a tractor or other tie point on the ground by means of a rope over the ridge.

I've got a lot of things to do coming up, but I like my bones in one piece.

Ideas?

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #2  
I had to do quite a bit of work on a 10/12 roof which really sucked. I had a real climbing harness but I found a strap around my waist was as comfortable. Sure it wouldn’t be good for actually climbing but it’s only job is to prevent you from sliding off.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #3  
are you looking for a fall arrest harness or a harness that actually holds you in place?

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #4  
4 point or 5 point climbing harness or industrial harness. I assume eBay would be the place to start- all you need is an old one for occasional use. It’s not like you will be sitting in it all day cleaning windows on ***** tower.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness.
I had a real climbing harness but I found a strap around my waist was as comfortable.

I don't like belts, so a waist only harness would have to be a few inches wide. I'd also be concerned that if you DO happen to fall, there might be some serious stress on the midsection if the rope were a bit too slack.

are you looking for a fall arrest harness
That. I need freedom of movement for placing roof panels and use of tools.

all you need is an old one for occasional use.

Yeah, I don't need a high dollar certified model.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #6  
safety harness kits run about 125.00 includes harness , rope , slide and one anchor . They can be bought at box stores or roofing supply .

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #7  
Any harness without leg straps would probably be used. Check fall arrest harness, anything comfortable will cost over 100 easily

/ I think it's time to look for a harness.
I've never fallen and have never come dangerously close. But I do NOT want there to be a first time.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #10  
I'm getting a basic bucket kit like what M5Farms suggested before I get on a roof again. The last time I shoveled mine off I called my neighbor first and asked them to come looking if they didn't hear from me in an hour. I don't bounce the way that I used to.