I think it's time to look for a harness.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness.
think of how much your life is worth, and consider you can be a permanent quadriplegic, like Christopher Reeve was, just falling a few feet off a horse!.. I actually would rather die from a fall than be like that!.. to each his own, though, some people can deal with it, others can't!..

Yeah, me too.

He’s not rock climbing with it. He’s not going to be falling and it catching him. He’s not even hanging from it unless his rigging sucks. And at that point he’s stuck on the side of the roof which isn’t good either. It’s job is to keep him from sliding off the roof.

I get his point. Buy a quality harness. We can all end up 'like that' just by falling in the bathroom though.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #22  
Cheap harness can be uncomfortable to wear

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #23  
Cheap harness can be uncomfortable to wear

....and it is important to get one that fits you too. I like having 4 D rings....one on each hip and one on my chest, one on my back.

There is no wrong information here as any of it may apply to whoever reads this thread.

In MY case, I would never feel the need to have any harness on for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Simply because I don't have the 'stuff' to be on a roof or any other risky task for more than that. I tend to lose concentration, focus and some mobility after that.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #25  
The last class I was in said if you fall, and it catches you, and you're hanging there, you've got about 20 minutes before the straps cut off the circulation in your legs and you'll pass out and maybe croak. They give us little foot holder straps that we're supposed to remember to deploy, put our foot in the loop, and stand in the loop to relieve leg strap pressure. There's only one loop, so you have to alternate feet every few minutes.

I have to wear it when I'm working on roofs up about 5-6 stories, or just 1 story. Doesn't matter.

They emphasize that you shouldn't have enough tether so that you hit the ground before it stops the fall...... :laughing:

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #26  
They emphasize that you shouldn't have enough tether so that you hit the ground before it stops the fall...... :laughing:

Yes, that would be very important. :thumbsup:

So many of these threads and posts make me think of one of the best cartoons of all time. Wiley Coyote could use an ACME harness that would stop him just inches from the ground, then slingshot him upwards to hit the cliff ledge he just fell off.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #28  
When working on the roof, don't tie your harness to a vehicle on the other side of the house without having ALL the keys in your pocket!

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #29  
The last class I was in said if you fall, and it catches you, and you're hanging there, you've got about 20 minutes before the straps cut off the circulation in your legs and you'll pass out and maybe croak. They give us little foot holder straps that we're supposed to remember to deploy, put our foot in the loop, and stand in the loop to relieve leg strap pressure. There's only one loop, so you have to alternate feet every few minutes.

I have to wear it when I'm working on roofs up about 5-6 stories, or just 1 story. Doesn't matter.

That wouldn't apply to me, as you wouldn't find me up that high in the first place. It's good to know about those foot straps.

A construction worker was telling about how he thought he was clever and used two of the safety straps to get farther from his anchor. I guess that it was quite a jolt when he did slip, and fell twice the distance the system was designed for.

/ I think it's time to look for a harness. #30  
That wouldn't apply to me, as you wouldn't find me up that high in the first place. .
Does it really matter? At least falling from that height you get the privilege of dying vs being paralyzed. Another thing that I haven’t seen mentioned here is you need to use a towel or some other protective cover for the rope at the peak. A shingle peak will wear a rope pretty quick.