Buying Advice I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal?

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #11  
I wondered about the hay spear also, seem funny for just a suburban homeowner (like me for instance) but perhaps the person owns property elsewhere. I think I saw a rotary cutter on the back also, but no mention of it in the ad. wonder what is up with that.? Perhaps this person has more than one tractor or needs a larger one? The DK35se would be capable of picking up some of the round bales, but some might be too large, or he cannot stack them high enough? questions, questions.. best just go check it out..

James K0UA

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #12  
I wondered about the hay spear also, seem funny for just a suburban homeowner (like me for instance) but perhaps the person owns property elsewhere. I think I saw a rotary cutter on the back also, but no mention of it in the ad. wonder what is up with that.? Perhaps this person has more than one tractor or needs a larger one? The DK35se would be capable of picking up some of the round bales, but some might be too large, or he cannot stack them high enough? questions, questions.. best just go check it out..

James K0UA

I too noticed the cutter, but it doesn't look new. Maybe it belongs to someone else, so isn't included. I also wondered about picking up the big bales with that machine.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #13  
Good call on the bale spear! Might be potential abuse so you might want to check the loader for broken welds or bolts in the castings.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #14  
art said:
Good call on the bale spear! Might be potential abuse so you might want to check the loader for broken welds or bolts in the castings.

Not sure i understand how "potential abuse" would be a concern here. Bale spears have exactly one use and if a bale is too heavy to lift the loader would not be damaged as the relief valve would kick in.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal?
LOL.... interesting to read the detective work here.

This guy has a big farm with a number of tractors. He thought he wanted a smaller tractor, but decided it wasn't big enough to do what he thought he'd use it for.

I asked about how I'd be able to get the tractor given the distance, and he said he could deliver. He has more than one trailer that could manage the job. He sounded like a legit farmer (not a car salesman type guy at all).

I have another reservation, the treads on those tires look very aggressive. In our clay soil... on a wet day... I can see that they'd leave relatively permanent and deep "tatoos" on the land that will harden.
If so....
1) Is there a way to easily fix this kind of tracked-up land problem?
2) What does as a set of less aggressive tires cost? (not turf tires, but not so aggressive either.)
3) And is it common to trade these tires, with some boot, for a more appropriate set?
4) Are Kioti rims/tires universal?, or will I have to buy Kioti specific rims/tires?

I'll call our bobcat dealer regarding service and similar tractors.

It looks like our local bobcat dealer sells the compact tractors (from the "bobcat of knoxville" web site).

I do a lot of second guessing myself (as many do, apparently, in these forums).

For example, the John Deere dealer is VERY close to my home. I'm guessing that John Deere tractors sell at a premium with little to nothing to gain for that price premium.

Just by superficial looking, the Kioti actually appears to be much beefier than similar offerings from Kubota and JD..... but both Kubota and John Deere are in town. That, I guess, is a good "feature".

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #17  
The date on the picture is 4/2008 what has it been doing for 4 years.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #18  
The date on the picture is 4/2008 what has it been doing for 4 years.

Well, either that camera has the date set wrong or that ain't no 2012 model. Those pictures also don't look like they were taken on a "big farm."

Ohbehave, what does your wooded acreage look like? Is it flat?

Sounds like you might be in the Athens area. I hear Dooley has good prices.

I'm in Knoxville, Tn.... on 8 acres. I would say the land generally slopes, but it is easily walkable everywhere. I have cut trails by using loppers and abusing my John Deere x320 mower. A lot of the area is unwalkable due to undergrowth.

There is a ravine that cuts through one section, but it is probably passable even at it's most steep part using a tractor head on.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go to the John Deere dealer to see if they have prices that compare to the better prices for John Deeres that I have seen on internet discussions.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #20  
The tires on the Kioti are R1 also known as AG or agricultural tires.. Maximum traction, especially on muddy surfaces. Also maximum imprints as you noted. The next thing down is R4 also know as Industrial tires. Somewhere between Ag and Turf. Also usually have a higher load rating than either AG or Turf so better for loader work than either of the other two. Further down the line is R3 or Turf tires. Main benefit is low impact on the "turf" but many users report better snow traction than R4. Unfortunately none of the wheels will fit any of the other types of tires. So a tire swap = a Wheel swap also. g tires are standard, and R4 industrials or R3 turf usually require extra money in the original purchase. However your deal may vary. Industrials are probably the most popular for CUT owners. They are a compromise, but all tires cannot excel at all tasks.

James K0UA