I wouldn't even ride along on this rig.

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #11  
Do some searches for hillside combines. These where around 40+ years ago and used out west for wheat harvest. From memory they would operate on 45 degree slopes. I have seen them in use in Oregon & Washington in early mid 70’s so suspect still in use today. Yes I would have vinyl taste in mouth from the pucker factor..

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #12  
Stupid, why grow grain on a slope like that? Do they not have flatter ground for that purpose? I have been reading Louis Bromfield's books and this reminds me of the unsustainable farming practices that he talks about. I really hope that they are at least smart enough to be using no till practices.
why is this stupid? not trying to be rude or attack just wondering why?

they live in Switzerland, probably born there, family there so they make a living there. Why is this stupid. They work with the hand they were dealt. Do the best they can and utilize John Deere technology to do it.

Story:
When my family first immigrated to Canada we were "given" 160 acres of farmland as settlers.
It was a swamp! I mean a real swamp!! we worked the land best we could, we improved the ground, we raised multi generations, we took no hand outs other than the land promised to immigrate and settle. We never went on social assistance and we donated to our church regularly. OUr family raised labourers, entrepreneurs, doctors and engineers. We couldn't afford our first tractor BUT a road crew left a bull dozer broken down next to our land as it was unfixable. The municipality said we could have it if we wanted. Well we fixed it and used it to work our land for many many years till we could afford what some would call a real tractor. Dam we were proud of everything we had and built on our farm.

I would be offended severely if someone called me stupid for working hard and raising a family on the hand which I was dealt.

Cheers and I raise a glass to all those who do the very best with what they have. Whether your equipment is held together with bailing twine or brand new shiny Green (or orange or red or yellow). See a problem / make a solution and raise your family strong.
🍻

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #13  
Next step is baling all that straw? Other equipment must be steep hillside compatable also.

Last edited:
   / I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #14  

Bruce

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #15  
Stupid, why grow grain on a slope like that? Do they not have flatter ground for that purpose? I have been reading Louis Bromfield's books and this reminds me of the unsustainable farming practices that he talks about. I really hope that they are at least smart enough to be using no till practices.
Yeah...I'm sure they never thought about that.

There isn't actually as much arable land as we'd like, and some countries have significant shortages and have been working to make it work for eons, often very successfully.
1683568216624.png

1683568275606.png

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #17  
One specialty for that terrain is small articulated tractors with a ground-speed PTO to drive a trailer that has a powered axle. Cant find a picture now, but the photo I saw had one climbing an impossible grade.

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #18  
Bet he doesn't have to spend thousands on auto steer/ trac, precision ag etc, plus has the skills and insight as operator to keep that combine upright.

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #19  
Not much. It's in Switzerland. ;)
Switzerland has developed some pretty interesting hillside machinery technology over the years. You just got to play with cards that you are dealt.

/ I wouldn't even ride along on this rig. #20  
Right up there with a Menzi Muck used in a different application

Last edited: