Ice dams

/ Ice dams #1  

AHNC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23
I managed to get a bit of water into the house for the first time in the 18 yrs we've owned the house due to ice dams. With our "one storm after another" and no melt off the ice dams are severe. I shoveled off the roof yesterday. More shoveling than I've done in a long, long time. We had a foot on the front and 3-4 ft on the back. I had a clear hard ice dam about 18" up the roof and it stood at least 6" above the roof/gutter line. Looking for a solution I hooked a hose up to my gas tankless water heater and went at it. 4 continuous hrs of hot water and the roof and gutters are clear. I was running 3.3gpm at 125F with a spray head (almost like a shower head) to give not a lot of velocity/bounce to the water. You have to cut channels into the ice to relieve the built up water behind the dam while you are melting the ice, otherwise, you will force water up under the shingles, creating the problem you were attempting to solve. One of the downspouts runs out onto the driveway. The warm water melted a broad channel in the pack ice there. I am stiff, sore and happy that it worked out.

/ Ice dams #2  
looks like you are going to need the proper insulation and ventilation to stop that ice build up. Sometimes its possible for ice to build in a low spot of a improperly pitch gutter but if its all over you should evaluate your heat loss and ventilation issues.

/ Ice dams #3  
About 30 years ago was the one and only time I saw that happen in Dallas. We'd had quite an ice storm and the next door neighbor called about 2 a.m. to tell me he got up and went to the bathroom and water was running out around a light fixture, so he wanted to borrow my ladder to get up in the attic to see where it was coming from. I felt sorry for him, but was thinking I was glad it wasn't me as I walked barefoot in the my pajamas through the dark house to go open the garage door so he could get the ladder. And as I walked through the kitchen, I found I was walking in water and had water pouring out around a kitchen light fixture.:( I'd never heard of ice dams before but learned that quite a few people in the Dallas area learned about them that day.

/ Ice dams #4  
I feel your pain!
this is the 2nd weekend in a row that I ventured up to shovel the
roof off, we had a lot of rain saturday, and then some snow, and
some warmer temps (30s!) so i started getting some icicles again.

i didn't shovel the whole roof yesterday, just the part where the
ice is the worst, and made sure my ridge vent was open.

didn't the groundhog say spring was right around the corner?
I'm ready!
:D

/ Ice dams #5  
About 30 years ago was the one and only time I saw that happen in Dallas. We'd had quite an ice storm and the next door neighbor called about 2 a.m. to tell me he got up and went to the bathroom and water was running out around a light fixture, so he wanted to borrow my ladder to get up in the attic to see where it was coming from. I felt sorry for him, but was thinking I was glad it wasn't me as I walked barefoot in the my pajamas through the dark house to go open the garage door so he could get the ladder. And as I walked through the kitchen, I found I was walking in water and had water pouring out around a kitchen light fixture.:( I'd never heard of ice dams before but learned that quite a few people in the Dallas area learned about them that day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If a survey were to be conducted we would probably find there is more damage caused nation and world wide by ice dams like you experienced than the thick ice build up style on the eaves edge. These often occur where ice dams aren't a concern and many have never heard of such a thing as ice dams.

In the photo the layer of ice followed by a foot of insulating snow is the perfect set up to cause water to drip from the windows around noon the next day when the outdoor ambient temperature increased to just above freezing. With the roof pitch on this house and the rafter run length, 4 lbs. of pressure was exerted on the water at the building line. A relief groove a half inch wide stopped the water flow into the house walls immediately.

Attachments

• Ice Dam.JPG
    Ice Dam.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 337
   / Ice dams #6  
I managed to get a bit of water into the house for the first time in the 18 yrs we've owned the house due to ice dams. With our "one storm after another" and no melt off the ice dams are severe. I shoveled off the roof yesterday. More shoveling than I've done in a long, long time. We had a foot on the front and 3-4 ft on the back. I had a clear hard ice dam about 18" up the roof and it stood at least 6" above the roof/gutter line. Looking for a solution I hooked a hose up to my gas tankless water heater and went at it. 4 continuous hrs of hot water and the roof and gutters are clear. I was running 3.3gpm at 125F with a spray head (almost like a shower head) to give not a lot of velocity/bounce to the water. You have to cut channels into the ice to relieve the built up water behind the dam while you are melting the ice, otherwise, you will force water up under the shingles, creating the problem you were attempting to solve. One of the downspouts runs out onto the driveway. The warm water melted a broad channel in the pack ice there. I am stiff, sore and happy that it worked out.

I'm glad that worked, it's the first I've heard of that approach, I would of said it would never work, but I guess with your tankless heater it was able to give you nonstop hot water for all that time. plus we had close to 40 degrees on sunday down here.

I would say 90% of the houses around here have ice dams, new, old ventilated, insulated doesn't really matter this year. Not everyone has leaks but everyone has ice as thick as a street curb. It's almost impossible to remove without some invassive approach.

I have been out everyday removing snow from roofs and limited ice dam removal just where there are leaks. nothing like mother nature to do the job, 40 degrees and sunny helps most but hurts some as well.
Was out yesterday at a historic armory in Hartford, with leaks through 4 floors from a frozen leader drain through a parapit wall.

JB.

Attachments

• 0204111457.jpg
    0204111457.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 298
   / Ice dams #7  
I'm glad that worked, it's the first I've heard of that approach, I would of said it would never work, but I guess with your tankless heater it was able to give you nonstop hot water for all that time. plus we had close to 40 degrees on sunday down here.

I would say 90% of the houses around here have ice dams, new, old ventilated, insulated doesn't really matter this year. Not everyone has leaks but everyone has ice as thick as a street curb. It's almost impossible to remove without some invassive approach.

I have been out everyday removing snow from roofs and limited ice dam removal just where there are leaks. nothing like mother nature to do the job, 40 degrees and sunny helps most but hurts some as well.
Was out yesterday at a historic armory in Hartford, with leaks through 4 floors from a frozen leader drain through a parapit wall.

JB.

Question, and a serious one for once.

Why isn't there water standing behind the dam pictured?

/ Ice dams #8  
I find that once you expose the area by removing the snow,
what is left freezes cuz now the roof isn't insulated by the
snow. That usually stops the snow from melting and running
into the ice and backing up, at least for a while.

oh, and it gets slipperier after for sure.

/ Ice dams
I determined the culprit in my case. I'm a plumber, in a past life, but when we remodelled the master bath/bedroom last year, I ws so busy I did not do my own work. After completion the new tub drained slowly. We are closing on the house the end of the month and I wanted the plumber to do a once over on ghe tub. He went up into the attic to check the vent and he moved the insulation and when replacing it he pushed it all the way into contact with the roof sheathing. This prevented the cold air from entering into the attic, which in turn allowed the heat loss to the attic to melt the ice dam in those 3 bays.

I guess the good news is the tub drained the water that came into it.

/ Ice dams #10  
Question, and a serious one for once.

Why isn't there water standing behind the dam pictured?

From my experiance not all the houses that have the ice dams at the eaves have ponding water or leaks. The ones that do have water you wouldn't see it unless it was a close up pic as there usually is not that much, less than an inch deep.

Notice how the ice dam has a level top, that gives you a relativly safe place to walk on a pitched slippery/icy roof. If you could call a 4-8 inch wide ice plank at the edge of the roof "safe"

A pic of water trapped behind ice dam, my house.

JB.

Attachments

• DSC03997.jpg
    DSC03997.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 268