Ice dams

/ Ice dams #21  
Where is that van vented? out thru the siding or up thru the
roof?

Thru the roof directly above the bathroom/shower area. Water travels about 8 feet before it hits the gutter. The one above the powder room is used a lot less and I see little melting around it so I assume heat loss is not the real issue.

/ Ice dams #22  
Apparently you can buy a bucket of something called "roof melt" thats safe for shingles and supposed to melt the ice. I'm picking some up tomorrow.

/ Ice dams #23  
Three years ago we had a record setting year for snowfall and I noticed ice dams forming on my eaves. I "googled" the subject extensively and found an article by the University of Minnesota (if I remember correctly) that talked about ways to reduce the build up. They covered the normal answers, proper insullation, venting, heat tape and ice melt. As someone previously mentioned only a small channel through an ice dam helps relieve the water build up. The article mentioned using ice melt placed in stockings laid over the ice dam. The ice melt opens up a channel for the water to drain off. Just make sure it lays across from top to bottom. Thank goodness for the Dollar Store as I had to buy about 6 pairs of stockings (they're expensive at normal price). Also be careful a stocking can hold a surprising amount of ice melt if you let the stocking stretch to the maximum. :laughing:

I tried it and the stockings lasted for most of the winter, just get them out of the gutters before they plug up the downspouts or drain line.

Last edited:
   / Ice dams #25  
Reading this column, last week, I went home and fished all the pine needles out of the gutters. This action probablly saved me some grief over our last two weeks of scattered snows and cold spells. Nothing to compare to Ct, but cold enough for me. Thanks...Jy

/ Ice dams #26  
it's been a bit bad here in NH too. Put on rain gutters to direct the rain in the summer, but now they are full of ice and assisted the ice **** build up.

IMG_3193.jpg

With the help of my two sons we were able to get the snow off from the roof. Back side is three stories high so I am a bit afraid to work on that, needed younger help! LOL

IMG_3192.jpg

One nice thing is we will have plenty of water in the wells this spring! I hope!!

/ Ice dams #27  
One nice thing is we will have plenty of water in the wells this spring!

And the basements, I hope! :licking: :drool:

Sorry, I don't really wish or hope for people to have trouble, don't have to, it just happens.

I do basement drainage work, and already did 3 small jobs this week.

The front page of Hartford Courant yesterday had a storey about the CT Governor reccomending people look into their flood insurance coverage in anticipation fo the thaw.

All the roof shovelers need to go back and remove the piles against the houses.

JB.

/ Ice dams #28  
And the basements, I hope! :licking: :drool:

Sorry, I don't really wish or hope for people to have trouble, don't have to, it just happens.

I do basement drainage work, and already did 3 small jobs this week.

The front page of Hartford Courant yesterday had a storey about the CT Governor reccomending people look into their flood insurance coverage in anticipation fo the thaw.

All the roof shovelers need to go back and remove the piles against the houses.

JB.

John how true that is! i have pretty good drainage around our place, but will certainly be moving the snow piles away from the house. The news stations have really had a hey day with all the snow in New England. I have seen more snow than this, but the cold weather has really hurt us because nothing seems to be melting off.

Roof guys and cellar guys are busy. Good for your business though!

Oh well in four months we will be talking about black flies and how many there is due to all the running water around. What a cycle!