Ice melter and new concrete drive

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #11  
I haven't tried it on concrete either but I doubt it would hurt. Ash used to be a main ingredient in lightweight concrete and block. Like others have said, I'd hate to use salt on new concrete.

If the ash didn't work, could you use salt early morning then rise it in the afternoon? A pain, I know, but this ice is really something.

On the way home from Stitzer yesterday, the kids were ice skating on the asphalt road, right down the middle. There was at least 1/2" of clear smooth ice for them... for miles! Spooky driveing for me, fun for them.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive
On the way home from Stitzer yesterday, the kids were ice skating on the asphalt road, right down the middle. There was at least 1/2" of clear smooth ice for them... for miles! Spooky driveing for me, fun for them.

Funny you would say that. We were dog sitting for our neighbors who had gone "up north" skiiing for the weekend. They got home yesterday and mentioned the very same thing. They saw kids ice skating on the roads around Waupaca.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #13  
How was the driveway cured?

I manage the design and construction of projects here in the northeast for colleges and universities. Pavement life, particularly concrete sidewalks, is of great concern. We have taken pains to specify and control the quality of pavements. Surface treatments for ice are a must, big liability in ice, we have designed a very precisely controlled concrete mix which is poured with a very low water cement ratio (slump at placement is 2 +/- 1) that has stood the test of time, at least 7 winters now without any issues at all, and it gets hammered with traffic, sand and salt. Other than the mix design, two of the most important factors are (1) 7 day wet cure and (2) curing with temps no less than 50 F.

I know that there are products that can be used that will de-ice with less stress to the concrete pavement but they will all ultimately take their toll.

To be safe stick with sand.

How was the driveway cured?...

Other than the mix design, two of the most important factors are (1) 7 day wet cure and (2) curing with temps no less than 50 F.

To be safe stick with sand.

Drive was poured last August so low temps were not an issue. It air cured for 2 weeks before we drove on it. There may have been rain but the drive was not specifically kept wet.

I guess sand is the best bet considering the investment we have in a 700' long drive. I don't want to risk damaging it with ice melt.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #15  
   / Ice melter and new concrete drive #18  
I have always used urea on sidewalks and when I worked for a fertilizer blend plant we sold alot of it in the winter to plow guys to spread on parking lots some blacktop and some concrete. I havent seen it damage any concrete that I know of. And it is also pet safe.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #19  

Wow! $35 shipping for a $50 product. Wish I could find it locally, but we just don't get snow that often here, normally. With global cooling in effect (sorry, Gore, couldn't resist), we've gotten over two feet this year. Had snow 20" deep in places. Nobody around here has a snow blower.

My driveway grade is 33% in places. I had the tractor sliding sideways on the driveway while trying to use it to clear the driveway -- man, that really gets the pucker factor going.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #20  
A concrete Diveway that has the proper mix will not spall or flak if it is properly poured cured,finished and sealed. The reasons concrete spalls and flaks is because of an inept concrete contractor,or improperly mixed concrete.

The contractors don't take the time necessary to do a proper job These are my opinions which are shared by the PCA located in Illinois.

I'm sure we the public would put up with no salt on new highways in Illinois because it hasn't cured for a year, Not.