Idea to monitor/secure a tractor

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor
I am not familiar with the system--Trimble Trimtrac-- that you spoke of. My concerns are that they claim to work up to 90-ninety days supplied with only 4-four AA batteries as a power source. And in regards to the other devices that need to be connected to the battery, there is the problem concerning battery drain. I am not an expert in regards to these devices' capabilities and battery demands, but I just can't perceive the longevity factor concerning the batteries as a long term power supply. Is there anyway that the local Power Company can hook you up, or is it too cost prohibitive? Best of luck in your endeavor.

Last year I recieved a quote from our local Hydro Company to bring the power on our propriety and the cost was around 30K, so is out of question at this point.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #12  
How about a small solar grid? It could generate enough to power a small camera and cell phone/internet hookup. Course you might be back up in price again. If it emailed a pic every hour or when it sensed movement it shouldnt be that much.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #13  
Just get an insurance policy to cover for theft and some basic anti-theft deterrents as described. It's honestly all you can really do. If someone really wants it there isn't much you can do.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #14  
Some really good ideas in this thread. There are game cameras that send the photos to your email.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #15  
If you have power and Internet there you can set up an Internet
camera that uploads an image at regular intervals. Should be
a lot cheaper than 30 a month. Some of them can also send an
email if they see movement.

I have to pay 75 bucks a month for Internet. They tell me it's only $50.00 and $25.00 is for the land line. I do not have a land line connected to the house, don't want one, don't need one. They will not let me drop it. They said it would be to expensive for the people that want a land line. :confused::confused::confused:

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #16  
It won't take much in the way of a solar panel to generate enough power for a LoJack. Or talk to some alarm companies for ideas (pick their brains). They run into this around here all the time.
Even a cell phone charged off a solar panel and plugged into a remote dialler is going to run $30/month....or more.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #17  
take the battery with you when you leave the property good chance they won't want to run back into town to buy a battery.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #18  
I have to pay 75 bucks a month for Internet. They tell me it's only $50.00 and $25.00 is for the land line. I do not have a land line connected to the house, don't want one, don't need one. They will not let me drop it. They said it would be to expensive for the people that want a land line. :confused::confused::confused:

Wow! I have a DSL line and only pay 29 and change a month.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #19  
Most thieves don't use torches anymore. They use cordless cuttoff tools. Takes them about 30 seconds to cut through any hardened lock, chain, cable, etc... sad, but true.

Anyone ever watch any of those auction hunter or storage wars shows? They use them to cut the locks off pretty darn fast. :(

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #20  
Wow! I have a DSL line and only pay 29 and change a month.

That is DSL 5MG download, 1MG upload. But actual speeds are a little slower on the test sites. Only one provider in our area unless you want to go with satellite which is even higher, last time I checked.