Idea to monitor/secure a tractor

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #21  
Just get an insurance policy to cover for theft and some basic anti-theft deterrents as described. It's honestly all you can really do. If someone really wants it there isn't much you can do.

I think this is the best advice. You seem to imply that if the thieves take the time to break into the container, they'll be prepared to take the time to defeat any other deterrents. I agree.

Buy insurance and place hidden trail/game cameras to capture license plates & faces. The good bushnells last a year on 8 lithium AAs and require no internet or external power.

Amazon.com: Bushnell 8MP Trophy Cam Brown Night Vision Trail Camera: Sports & Outdoors

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #22  
Contact LoJack, they have ones made for equipment. It's a one time fee ($700 ish). It only goes active when YOU file a police report that it's stolen. I know it's after the fact, but the recovery is something like 98%. You might also look for high security locks that are designed for containers.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #23  
rogerius; said:
Need some ideas about how I can keep an eye on a tractor. I'm planning to purchase a L3800 in the spring and keep it in an ISO container on my property. Because I'm a "weekend hobbyest" I can check the tractor just in weekends. Do you have any idea how I can monitor the tractor. I was thinking at some sort of GPS tracking system which will give me a live position of the tractor at any moment but the fee for this type is around 30$/month. Do you have any recommendation/idea/sugestion?

Thx.

If I remember correctly,

On Verizon family plan you can purchase or add a GPS phone to your cell phone family plan and allow GPS tracking on that phone. Install it in a secure place on the tractor with a 12 v charger. Don,t know how much that cost. Parents use that system to locate their children.

You then should have 24 hr tracking on that phone.

http://cellphonetrackers.org/verizon-mobile-phone-tracking-service-family-locator.html

http://www.celltrakr.com/family_home.aspx?gclid=CK2S7L7rx6wCFRNb7AodwAK6qA

http://cellphonetrackers.org/top-five-free-mobile-phone-tracking-softwares.html

Last edited:
   / Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #24  
this topic has been covered many times.

unfortunately.. a 24 hr armed guard is about the only way to really scrure a tractor.

if it's aprked not near you.. have good insurance, and keep it out of site, and small tricks to disable it will keep the casual / honest theifs away.. the determined ones will just use a rollback and steal it.

a torch or abrasive cutter will cut just about anything, given time..

soundguy

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #25  
this topic has been covered many times.

unfortunately.. a 24 hr armed guard is about the only way to really scrure a tractor.

if it's aprked not near you.. have good insurance, and keep it out of site, and small tricks to disable it will keep the casual / honest theifs away.. the determined ones will just use a rollback and steal it.

a torch or abrasive cutter will cut just about anything, given time..

soundguy

*scratching head*

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #26  
the casual / honest/ lazy thiefs are the ones that will steal from you if it's easy.. ie.. you left the gate open, screen door open, and a 100$ bill taked to the front door.

ie.. no security whatsoever, and lots of temptation.

that's where the lazy/honest/casual thief will get ya.

the determned ones will stake you out, know when you come and go, be armed with tools of the trade like bolt cutters, bat powered abrasive say and a small gas pony cutting rig, and a rollback truck with winch.

they can be in and out with your tractor in 5 minutes ...

soundguy

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #27  
I think there is a fuel pump relay you can remove easily. The Kubota dealer can show you.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #28  
that magically plant it to the ground to prevent dragging or towing / hauling?

if so, send the the PN, I'll order one for everything I own :)

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #29  
I think this is the best advice. You seem to imply that if the thieves take the time to break into the container, they'll be prepared to take the time to defeat any other deterrents. I agree.

Buy insurance and place hidden trail/game cameras to capture license plates & faces. The good bushnells last a year on 8 lithium AAs and require no internet or external power.

Amazon.com: Bushnell 8MP Trophy Cam Brown Night Vision Trail Camera: Sports & Outdoors

I would use another brand beside Bushnell. I had two Bone Collector cameras (one a warranty replacement), and neither one of them lasted. The first one would take continuous pictures when it got cold, and the second quit working with some kind of power issue - right after the original warranty expired of course.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #30  
If doable, jack the tractor remove one or both front wheels and leave tractor on jackstands. They may steal parts but they are not taking the whole tractor unless they bring wheels.