Ideas on how to move a shed...

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #41  
I like this thread. I can imagine all of us standing around at the OP's place with our coveralls on, bud or coffee in hand discussing how to move the old shed.

"Well I remember back in 78 when ole Clem Smith had to move a shed just like this. Cept his shed had tin siding cuz Merle Barcklay used to keep chickens in it and the weasels was a chewin thru the wood siding."

"Geez, I'd forgot about ole Merle, what happened to him after the wife moved out and he left for Tuscon..."

5 hours later no work would have commenced!!!

Sounds like a union crew.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed...
Going to check with a local guy auto repair guy and see what he would charge me...I could lift the back of the shed up as he winches it up.

Thanks for the ideas. Got a few weeks befor I can get the shed. The guy I got it from wants the area to be frozen real good or dryer then it is now..

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #43  
Make that a neighbor of mine did. He made a gizmo that he had on the three point hitch, backed the tractor in the shed lifted the shed with loader and the thing he had on three point hitch and drove home. :cool2:
wish I had a picture :D

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #44  
Make that a neighbor of mine did. He made a gizmo that he had on the three point hitch, backed the tractor in the shed lifted the shed with loader and the thing he had on three point hitch and drove home. :cool2:

Something like this?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/129690-shed-move.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/217856-moving-shed-my-tractor.html

Here's another shed move thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/33925-moving-storage-building.html

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #45  

That isn't a bad idea if his tractor is big enough yet small enough to get inside.

"Someone hold my beer and watch this..."

/ Ideas on how to move a shed...

That would work....... except.....This one has a floor...

But that would be neat to see.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #47  
   / Ideas on how to move a shed... #48  
Many years ago my mom bought an 8x12 shed and had it set up with the back of the shed near the edge of their property line. Well, years after that, they moved from that house put it up for sale, leaving the shed as part of the sale. I was afraid that the end of it would be over the property line and cause a problem with a survey at the closing, so I drug it a couple feet to make sure all of the shed was on the their lot.

That shed had two runners under it, which were just (2) 2x6's scabbed together. Both ends were cut at an angle on the bottom so it could be skidded for a short distance off and on the rollback for loading and unloading. This is the way a lot of sheds are built and delivered. Although, the really special purpose shed delivery trucks have lots of rollers on them instead a of a true flat bed wrecker style truck.

I was able to drill 1/2" holes through the runners, run a 3/8" cable through them, and attach the cable to the tractor and drag it forward a couple feet. That was simple enough though.

As for the OP's question, I would consider using the suggestion already made which is to use a bunch of round poles (4" diameter fence posts should work) and roll the shed the 500 yds. I would have to look REALLY close at the path to move it though, and would only do it this way if it was pretty level with no major transitions to cause problems, like a sharp grade at the end of a driveway or something.

Most likely the shed he wants to move has runners underneath it. IF it does have runners, you would need poles that are wider than the runners are set apart. Figure out a good way to attach a cable or chain to it that spreads the load so it doesn't break the frame as it's pulled. Get enough of the poles and have a couple people on hand to keep "feeding" the poles from the rear to the front as the shed is pulled forward. And of course, go REALLY slow.
By doing it this way, the tractor only has to pull the shed, not support one end of the shed AND pull it at the same time.

Probably should do this on an early Sunday morning, when not many people are up yet, like a lot of house movers do sometimes. IF the path was not level, or has too much of a transition in places, then I would move it some other way.

If the OP moves it on his own, I hope he makes a video of it so we can watch how it's done!!!!

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #49  
take two posts or square timbers, make steel loop bolt to the end of them, to hook a chain on the end of them, cut a spreader and attach it between the skid poles usually leave some clearance so if some thing catches it does not rip off the spreader, a spreader on the rear is good as well, jack up the shed, and slide it under and tow it home, I have slid small buildings this way a number of times,

I even have a feed shed that is build on skids so one can pull it around,

about half way down o the page shows a similar idea, Hudson Valley Vernacular Architecture picture from web page,

Attachments

• skid.jpg
    skid.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 163
   / Ideas on how to move a shed... #50  
Would work and would be a lot of fun to watch. Might make that 500 buck purchase a little more costly

image-1670159025.jpg