If buying new what would You Buy

/ If buying new what would You Buy #11  
My only comment is on noise. I've been in a Artic Cat SxS and a Polaris Rzr, they make so much noise you can't here yourself think.

My Honda Rincon ATV is quiet as a mouse and is the same engine in the Pioneer.
My Polaris is the quietest of all, with the 30hp AC motor! :thumbsup: :D
P9250014.JPG P8050006.JPG P8260006.JPG

/ If buying new what would You Buy
Thanks for all the input, and keep more coming. I have looked at Kubota and Kioti. Great machines own both but don't think they will be good on trails. If I need serious pulling power I can hook it to one of my tractors. Interested in more info on Polaris , did not think there quality was that great. That was the reason for going Honda. Would be interested in input from you guys here.
Thanks
Scott

/ If buying new what would You Buy #13  
To be honest I had heard some mention Polaris quality as not being up with the Japanese brands so that was a concern. After talking with the few people I could find with newer Polaris products I came to the conclusion they are pretty good machines and bought one. Looking it over closely over the first few weeks I found 3 "issues".

A wiring bundle was routed IMO too close to the exhaust so I pulled it over with a zip-tie.

The rear differential breather was vented up into a hole in the frame, that part is fine but I feel it may be able to ingest dust so I want to put a little filter on it.

At around 20 hours a squeak developed in the rear and I hate squeaks. It has zerks at all the suspension arms which I had greased. It turned out to be where the rear sway bar mounts to the frame it is clamped in a rubber mount and the slight twisting movement of the bar in the rubber was causing the squeaking. When I took it apart and greased it there were grease channels moulded in the rubber and a hole for a zerk fitting on the mounts. So I tapped in two zerk fittings and nary a squeak since. I later discovered looking at another Ranger that it had zerks there, they just forgot to put them in my unit I guess.

The suspension works very well, this along with wanting more power is why I sold my Mule 610 and bought this Ranger. It rides so much better and has more ground clearance as well. A hill on the main road where the little Mule would slow down to 15 mph this 500 Ranger will do at 40 mph if I want. One feature Rangers have that some UTV's do not is the ability to unlock the rear axle to have an open differential (like a car) and this is the way I run mine most of the time. It allows it to turn very sharply w/o digging up the trails or yard and is the only way I'd want to drive one on pavement. One click of the button locks the diff for true 2WD, another click additionally allows the front to engage in 4WD. I say "allows" because the front does not truly lock in until the rear wheels spin 1/5 of a revolution more than the front, at which point the front and rear lock up. The front differential itself is limited slip.

Other side by sides have some or all these features which include; nice suspension, good ground clearance, good power and speed, yet frugal on gas, a locking/unlocking differential and decent size dumping bed, but they're simply too large for a lot of the trails and places I want to go. Heck some of them are darn near as big as a Jeep Wrangler! Our little Mule was 52 wide and easily fit everywhere an ATV would go. The midsize Ranger at 58 is 6" wider but still fits most everywhere the Mule did although it´s a little tight on a few trails. For our use on trails I wouldn't want one any wider.
I also prefer a bench seat over buckets because it's just easier to slide on and off, especially when using it for chores, picking up sticks, firewood, etc. The midsize Ranger bench seat can also accommodate 3 persons although it helps when at least one is a small person.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #14  
1 of my buddies bought the new Yamaha Viking after first owning a Rhino, then 2 artic cats and a Polaris, he went back with Yamaha.

2014 Yamaha Viking FI 4x4 EPS Home, information

2 other buddies have Rhinos, and 3 have the left over arctic cats and Polaris from the 1st guy above. The 1000 engine in one of them gave initial problems. He went to go have it fixed and went by another guys shop we know (who works on them for a living), and his shop was full of AC's and Polaris.

Have not tried the Honda. But Yamaha aimed the viking at work and play.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #16  
If you like diesels, at least demo a Deere 855D Gator. Not as quick as DIXIEDOG's 825i, but not as thirsty either. I chose the diesel for two reasons...those Yanmar diesels are great engines and secondly, I prefer the safety of the diesel fuel. Just my preferences...
Great UTV and I'm glad I bought one.
I do recommend getting the poly roof, power steering and the windshield when you buy. All the other options can be added later if you decide you want them.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #17  
have you considered a golf cart (with a lift kit) and knobby tires?...much, much cheaper...! and very dependable...!

/ If buying new what would You Buy #18  
   / If buying new what would You Buy #19  
   / If buying new what would You Buy #20  

Neat machine but I don't think I'd buy anything from a rental outfit. I'm sure it's maintained but there's no controlling for what renters do to it...Look at the out-of alignment in the picture.