If you were going to buy a used loader tractor...

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
If you were looking at buying a used 100 hp range, 2000-2010 vintage, tractor for use as a loader tractor which would you buy? Biggest concerns are front axle and transmission strength and durability.

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #2  
Massey, Case Ih or maybe a Deere.
I don't think the others have the robustness to stand up to the use of a loader tractor.

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #3  
Most of the major brands make a decent tractor in that size (NH, Deere, Case, etc) that will fit your needs.

Do go with a power shuttle trans. I have two newer tractors one with a power shuttle and one with a mechanical and I prefer the power shuttle greatly for loader work. As a bonus the power shuttles will have a wet clutch which will last many times longer than a dry clutch that is likely to be found in the mechanical shuttle tractors.

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #4  
I would buy the brand of tractor that you can get the best parts and service response from the dealers in you area. If you have many choices, I would buy a Deere!!

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #5  
I know a guy that bought older 105HP? Ford w/FEL over a year ago and still is very pleased well below $10K. Bought to put out hay in winter but found it dozes quite well also :)

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #6  
We traded our JD 6210 last year on a 6230. The tractor was excellent in the things you mention as concerns but during the year before trading the loader lost power. Problem was a cracked valve, something that apparently was a problem because the replacement came as an upgrade kit and cost about $1,500 if I remember right. We also had a lot of hose problems, something improved on the new model. But the tractor did move an average 1,500 bales multiple times per year plus manure loading, snow clearing, etc.

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #7  
If it is just a loader tractor I would consider an articulated loader, maybe a Cat 906 of 908 comes to mind.

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #8  
If it is just a loader tractor I would consider an articulated loader, maybe a Cat 906 of 908 comes to mind.

Exactly, if all it's going to be used for is a loader, forget about the AG stuff and get an industrial model, waaaaaaaaaaay heavier duty. ;)

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #9  
Exactly, if all it's going to be used for is a loader, forget about the AG stuff and get an industrial model, waaaaaaaaaaay heavier duty. ;)

Yes. The older case W14 was a great little gravel loader.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ If you were going to buy a used loader tractor... #10  
If you compare the weights of the industrial and the ag tractors, I think, you'll find that they are far heavier, and hopefully, more robust.