IH 140 or ?

/ IH 140 or ? #21  
I forgot about the Hi-Crop A's...I'm guessing the front axle assembly and 36" rear tires were bout the only difference...

About all of the tractor clubs around at least try to have a plowing day. Depends on the weather, and if they can find someone to let them plow up a field. The Land of Ledgend Club in Licking County used to have a dandy, although I never been to one. Had a buddy that belonged to the club.

The Fairfield County club here tries to have one also... The last one I got to plow in was about 10 years ago... 17 tractor's in all, and we plowed approx. 50 acres in two days... We took quite a swath up through the field...!! Bottoms ranged from one, to 4... We had a ball, and a real traffic stopper..., LOL...

Now, a buddy of mine is trying to get a few guys together for a small one... Limited to 2 bottoms... Just want to make it last all day...

/ IH 140 or ? #22  
What was an AV model, how as it different from a regular A? Were the same different types available in the 130's + 140's?
What system is used to raise/lower the cultivators? Someone had told me that earlier models were less than desireable, used vacumn or something for the lift??

I would think for corn the higher the better, like with the 36" tires you could get in for a later cultivation. The offsets would probably be best suited for 1-row crops like pumpkins or tomatoes, etc, you could look right down at the row being cultivated.

/ IH 140 or ?
In my experience, these HC tractors work best for tobacco or pumpkins because that's the row spacing setup. For corn, which would likely be on a
30" spacing, it won't work since the tires will cover the crop OR the cultivators will be not in the right place.
You can maybe get by to a degree if you put the rear wheels on a 60" center--if possible--and do the same row on both directions.
Perfect for other vegetables however.

/ IH 140 or ? #24  
I was given a 140 last year and need to get it worked by a pro, I'm in md and am looking for a shop. Any ideas?

/ IH 140 or ? #25  
I was given a 140 last year and need to get it worked by a pro, I'm in md and am looking for a shop. Any ideas?

Where in MD and what's wrong with your 140...I know a tad about Farmalls...BobG in VA

/ IH 140 or ? #26  
It has a leaky transmission that drips below the seat. Talked to someone who knows a thing or two and he said that he'd think you have to break the thing in two to get to the seals. I am sure it could use more work but that's for starters.

/ IH 140 or ? #27  
If you can post a picture of where it is leaking, it would be easier to give you an idea of what the problem and solution is.
J.

/ IH 140 or ? #28  
It has a leaky transmission that drips below the seat. Talked to someone who knows a thing or two and he said that he'd think you have to break the thing in two to get to the seals. I am sure it could use more work but that's for starters.

When you say it drips below the seat do you mean at a location at the bottom of the trans or near the top of the trans...if its the top, you most likely have water in the trans, which would lay at the bottom, pushing the gear oil to the top and out of the case...if this is the case...drain the trans and refill with gear oil 80w-90 will do just fine. BobG in VA

/ IH 140 or ? #29  
It leaks from below, the person who gave me the tractor is confident it's a bad seal. Any ideas about a shop that would work on it?

/ IH 140 or ? #30  
It leaks from below, the person who gave me the tractor is confident it's a bad seal. Any ideas about a shop that would work on it?

There's a guy in Fredricksburg VA that advertises on CL about every week that he does old/new tractor repairs...Go to the Washington location and search for Farmall...you should be able to find it...BobG in VA