IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #1  

Doc8404

Tractor
WD6
First time buying a tractor site unseen, and I am hoping I am not in over my head.
Entered an auction and BAM, I now own this tractor and have to set up transportation, but that's a whole other story.

The invoice description says w/ 540 PTO, gas/diesel, 16.9-30 rear rubber

Everything i read says this is a diesel. Is that the case?
The ONLY reason I bought it was to brush hog.

Now i look at the photos closer and realize it doesn't have 3 point arms.

Can i still brush hog with it? If so, what type am I looking for?

Located in central NY.

Thanks. Be gentle. My wife is ready to kill me already.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #2  
WD6 never had a 3pt lift or similar, strictly a standard tread drawbar tractor for pull type implements.

May or may not have a hydraulic outlet ("remote")

If your WD6 has a remote outlet you can likely pull a pull type bushhog that has a hydraulic wheel lift.

If you don't have remote, then you can't lift the bushhog.....

I did see a guy cobble a 3pt mower to the back of a non 3pt tractor and made it work....not ideal.

"D" stands for diesel, this case it's a gasoline start and then switches over to diesel so you get double the fun in components.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor
Well I have a tow behind brush hog with gas motor now.

Pulling with the ATV has not been good (overheats ATV due to weed seeds and such).

Trying to turn this into a positive LOL.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #4  
Well I have a tow behind brush hog with gas motor now.

Pulling with the ATV has not been good (overheats ATV due to weed seeds and such).

Trying to turn this into a positive LOL.

It will pull your current tow behind no problem and save your ATV, so this is a win. Spin it that you don't have to buy another bushhog (yet)

What’s this big thing sticking out the side?

IMG_5778.jpg

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #6  
What’s this big thing sticking out the side?

View attachment 798096

Belt pulley, for flat belt stationary equipment like a threshing machine or feed grinder etc. Basically obsolete. I've used flat belt equipment and there is a reason everything went to PTO drive.

Stupid question.

Are there other type of brush mowers that don’t need the lift?

I thought that’s what it was. Does it spin all the time or do you have to engage it? I am a safety guy by day lol.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #9  
I thought that’s what it was. Does it spin all the time or do you have to engage it? I am a safety guy by day lol.
Stupid question.

Are there other type of brush mowers that don’t need the lift?

There should be a rod to engage it, so it's on and off. The pulley also stops with the clutch pedal, you push clutch in, put transmission in neutral, pulley in gear, and you can let clutch out to feather the pulley & belt load if needed.

I'd say your engine drive bush hog designed for ATV is main "no lift" style, but theoretically a tractor style pull type PTO one can be used with a ratchet jack instead of an implement cylinder. You'd have to get off and manually raise/lower the unit with the ratchet jack.