I'm going to sprig burmuda.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #1  

JNA

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 KUBOTA M9540
Is Jiggs best for Galveston County?

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #2  
I am guessing you are new to hay or at least Bermuda? Not an insult, I had my first sprigged only two years ago. My first suggestion is to really know what you will be doing with the crop. If pasture then you only have to suit yourself. If you are raising hay for sale know what people want to buy. It does not matter if a certain variety grows best or such if people are not willing to buy or it is a hard sale. Perception of what is best to buying may not be the best but to them it is what they will buy.

If selling as hay look for local ad on what is being sold. Talked with those who may be potential customers. BUT do talk with your county agent and use the on line info from the University in Texas that is the agriculture expert. Not sure which one in Texas, only guessing it is A&M. Just do a search even using the question you posted here.

If I may go past your question, you be sure you have your field in shape before it is sprigged and you know what chemicals you need to apply before sprigging and what you can use for weed control the first year. I have Coastal and the year it is sprigged very limited in weed control chemicals.

I am going to private message you for source to help you there.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #3  
Jiggs hay sells well where I live but then any type grass hay sells well this Winter.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #4  
Jiggs should work fine where you are assuming your soil conditions are suitable. Its pretty easy to get established. I've even had it spread where I've fed Jiggs round bales over winter. I disced an area up in early spring to work in the manure and hay left on the ground and a couple months there was an area of Jiggs!

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda.
I am now looking for Jiggs spriggs.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #7  
Is Jiggs best for Galveston County?

My buddy did some more of his property in Jiggs. He lives near DaCosta Texas. The guy who did it lives near Bay City.

The drought nearly killed it all. I thought it was dead,but shut my mouth hoping to not make him feel worse about it. Then some rains came late, and I couldn't believe it, but it took off.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda.
YEA. Thank you.Checked out Giddings Tx,close to my dad's place.I can visit with my Aunt Frankie.