I'm going to sprig burmuda.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #11  
I'm quite a bit North of you in Smith County, near Tyler. Most of our soil here is red clay with a high PH to it. Common to have to add 2 tons of lime per acre to get it down to ideal PH for hay pastures. I'm not sure if the pine trees cause the high acidic, high Ph levels, or if that's why the pine trees grow here. Either way, you should first do a soil sample to see if your soil is ready for planting.

If not, add what's needed and put it off for a year when the soil is ready for it.

Research what people want if you are going to sell hay. My neighbor, who is a pretty smart guy, over thought this and jigged his place in Tifton Bermuda grass. He figured that it would grow faster and give him more hay per acre then coastal Bermuda. This proved to be true, but what he didn't consider is who would buy it. Horses don't care for it, and the longer it sits, the worse it tastes to them. It's probably a better pasture grass then what you want to bale.

The people that I buy my round bales from all have coastal Bermuda. The horses love it and with the poor year that we had here last year, it was up to $125 a bale just a month ago, but the price is starting to come down as those that where holding on to it to get the most money are now dumping it to get ready for this year.

What's really nice about jigging is how quickly you go from disked up dirt, to lush green pasture!!!

Last edited:
   / I'm going to sprig burmuda. #12  
My preference when buying hay is Coastal or Jiggs. I have bought Common, Bahai, and ryegrass round bales too. It’s been my experience the cows like Coastal or Jiggs the best.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #13  
Horses will eat Tifton if its baled at the right time. Tifton really needs to be cut every 4 - 5 weeks or it gets real stimmy. I chose Jiggs over Tifton 85 because it doesn't require the precise timing.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #14  
You may be a bit late this season. Around here Jan-Feb is the sprigging season....250 miles N. of you. Tifton 85 is the preferred Bermuda here in Houston Black Clay...and as I remember my early years down there that's what we had down there.

/ I'm going to sprig burmuda. #15  
You can do Jiggs through April