IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Although you folks have been dieing for me to test my chipper,i have been spending my time, gathering up materials ,and doing research on how to anchor down my bx-23.If you recall i posted a thread on how i hauled BOTA with heavy duty ratchet straps,and would have probably have lost her,if i had many more miles,the threads were ripping right off the hooks.then and there i decided to use chain binders.
First stop MAINE STATE POLICE BARRACKS in AUGUSTA.The officer that helped me,explained my BOTA had to be hooked down on all four corners,the bucket had to be hooked down,and ANY attachment ,in this case my hoe.IF i were to have my chipper on or any other attachment it also had to be hooked down. He said it would be ok for me to ,run the chains over like i did,because it was anchoring the four corners down.
I have been also nervous about,being stopped,because i have heard DOT is really clamping down lately,and the fines are stiff.
tell me what you think,am i doing it safe?
ESCAVADER

Attachments

• 623890-100_0022 (600 x 450).jpg
    623890-100_0022 (600 x 450).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 729
   / IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.
ANOTHER

Attachments

• 623892-100_0023 (600 x 450).jpg
    623892-100_0023 (600 x 450).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 612
   / IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.
LAST ONE

Attachments

• 623901-100_0024 (508 x 381).jpg
    623901-100_0024 (508 x 381).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 512
   / IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #4  
escavader -

I'm no expert here - but it looks like you have some nice beefy chains there for the FEL & tractor.

On the second picture - any chance the strap behind the seat could "slip" forward or backward & damage something?

Does it make sense to drop the BH & throw a chain across the bucket too? Any room to drop the stabilizers once she's on the trailer?

Only other thing: is it possible to run the chains at the CUTs "corners" - to the corners of the trailer? Even though the chains are "tight" to the sides - I could imagine that there *might* be some forward movement if you were under hard braking. I think going to the corners would prevent any front / back as well as left / right motion.

It looks like you're on the right track, regardless!

Cheers,

Dan

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #5  
Alan,

Looks like you got it! The only thing I might add is one more chain from the draw bar to the back of the trailer to stop any forward momentum in the event of a head on collision. I admit it is over kill, but nice to know it won't be be hitting you in the back of the head if you have to stop quick!

Gary

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #6  
GREAT !!!!!
A lot of the recent postings about trailers and securing the loads on them has caused me to evaluate my actions in that area. My last "event" scared me so bad that it's been over a year since I've towed anything. My kids think I'm crazy, but they weren't there... now they do the pulling, after I check the load.

Love that trailer... is it just an individual preference the way you hook to the chain... I've been dropping the chain through the pocket and hooking it to the top part...

Pete.

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.
DAN THERES THICK FRAME WORK BEHIND THE SEAT,I CHOSE THIS SO NOT TO BEND THE FENDERS,ITS NICE AND SECURE CANT REALLY SEE ANOTHER GOOD SPOT TO HOOK HER,CHAINS WONT GO AROUND THE TIRES..MY HOE HAS TRANSPORT PINS I PUT IN SO IT CANT SWING AROUND,OR DROP WHEN MOVING.GREAT THOUGHTS,THANKS
ESCAVADER

PS WROTE IN CAPITOLS,TO GET A RISE OUT OF JUNKMAN,NO ONE HAS HEARD FROM HIM LATELY.HE USUALLY CORRECTS US ON THIS

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.
DAN i forgot to reply to your last comment. i originally had the back chains hooked to the back stake pockets,but it put alot of stress on my blinker lights on bota,thought i was going to break them.i see what you guys mean about in a head on,bota could go forward.have to give this some more thought.aint this firehose great stuff..cuts hard as heck cause,its so thick.
escavader

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #9  
escavader -

I didn't know about the locking BH - makes sense they designed it in! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I looked at your pics again - I was worried that the one behind the seat could cause a problem if it slipped FORWARD - but that would mean the BX slipping BACKWARDS off the trailer. So I retract my concern! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another way to think of my comments about the "corners" - imagine - looking at the straps from the side of the trailer...

currently your straps look like this: | | (connected vertically)

but if you could "kick the bottoms out a little" - so they look more like this: / \ ("angled away")

then I think you'll get more of the forward / backward security I was thinking of.

All that being said - I think you should be fine - looks like you have plenty 'o chain on that BX!

Cheers,

Dan

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #10  
I've done some research on tie down requirements for my BX23 and everything I've found applies to large backhoes over 10,000 pounds. For under 10,000 pounds, the rules apply as if your were hauling a car. I'd ask the state patrol dude about this and explain that your tractor only weighs 2500 pounds, not the 10,000+ plus of a typical backhoe.

The Georgia DOT uses the Federal Transportation rules which do state 4 attaching points as well as tie downs on the front and rear buckets. I had one lady tell me they required chains, but the rules never specified chains or straps, only that they restraints exceeded the weight limits.

First of all, I think the BX23 is below the weight limit so you don't have to have so many tie downs (but you can if you want to). Second of all, the backhoe has built in restraints (the travel pins) so you shouldn't have to restrain it to the trailer. Besides, you can't lower the bucket to the trailer with the travel pins inserted.

Above all, you should secure your load (the BX23) so it won't move in any direction. I've read the stories about the straps and am rethinking my original plan (especially because there are lots of sharp edges on the grill guard). I did find a good strap attaching point on the backhoe - sort of a D-ring. I have a decent length GR70 transport chain with clevis hooks, but still need to get a ratcheting load binder (best deal I've found so far is Harbor Freight with Northern coming in 2nd. Tractor Supply is real high on these). Then I'll work towards getting a 2nd set of chains and loadbinder.

I spoke to the guy who delivers tractors for the dealer. He said straps were OK for short distances, but for long distances he prefers chains.

for more info, follow this link:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

Pay special attention to 393.128 & 393.130 (their html is kinda funky for 393.130 - it looks like it is part of 393.128).

Thanks

Bill.
Euharlee, Georgia