IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #11  
Im no expert but I'd say it looks good the way it is. Its not going forward because the bucket is against the front lip of the trailer. If you hit something hard enough to lift the tractor over that lip with it tied down like it is, you probably wont be around to tell us about it. Youre not dealing with a great deal of weight here. Your BX weighs less than a car and the excepted means of transporting a car is a strap on each corner. My concern would be pulling (more specifically stopping and steering) with a Cherokee without sway control or load leveling.

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #12  
Ok, I'll get ready to get flamed, but geeze, are you guys into overkill or what?

My guess is these are 3/8" chain, right? Probably Grade 70? And six of them with binders? Wow.

I don't have the numbers now, but I bought 1/4" grade 70 for my BX2200--two of them. One for the front and one for the back. And these chains NEVER get used for any other purpose! I don't have pics of it. But I put a clevis in the drawbar and one in the homemade grill guard bolted to the front. I place the rear chain, roll the bota tight by putting the binder on the front. That way, if the binder comes loose (I wrap the excess chain around it as it's an over-center binder), the rear chain is still tight--and braking is where I want the chain tight. Where the chain goes through the clevis, I wrap it around itself, so the chain does not slip through the clevis.

I first bought a rachet binder, but found it too slow and cumbersome to use, so I bought an old fashioned over center binder.

Back to your pic. With that size chain, I think you can probably almost pull your Bota apart or at least bend stuff if you really cinch it down.

I'm in an ag area and a lot of stuff is hauled. I used to haul stuff for an ag mfg company. We never put a chain over any attachment that was hooked to the tractor, such as an FEL or a plow (if it was hooked to the 3pt). If there was slop in the 3PH, then we would attach one chain/binder at the rear of the unit AFTER we'd cinched the tractor down. There is no where near enough slop in your FEL to warrant tieing it down separate from the tractor.

Its hard for me to imagine that your states require such overkill, but I suppose its possible. I pay close attention to stuff on trailers and I've never seen anyone stopped here that has a well tied down load. Now if you have junk hanging off the side and it looks like its going to tumble, they will stop you for sure.

There's a basement digger in our community that hauls with a semi/flatbed and had a HUGE JD backhoe that mostly fills the flatbed. I see him on the road all the time and it appears that he uses 3/8 or 1/2 chain on that beast--one in front and one in back. To me, that's only for looks as I don't think they would hold it on the trailer if it decided to come off. But huge chains on a BX just don't make sense to me.

That's my opinion, and by all means, if you feel safer with huge chains, I won't try to change your minds.

Have a great weekend.

Ron

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #13  
Great idea with the hose. I've got some in the cellar, I'll cut it up today. Chalk up another bonus point for yourself !
Larry

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #14  
Reg's vary by State. As was stated, he is required to have four independant tie points, one to each corner. He is also required to have a chain over each implement.

In Calif, you have to have four independant tie point; one off each corner.

Fed-DOT rules are one chain or strap per end of vehicle.

So... You may be legal in your state, but not in his, or here in California. Based on what has been posted here recently, both in direct qoutes from regs and expierienced over OTR truckers, State rules rule...

My chain is probably overkill too, but I haul other stuff too. My B8200 is the forerunner to the B2710, and is not very heavy. But, I do haul heavier things, and a little extra security is nice too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #15  
I have looked in to this too, for California. We have similar State regs, with the basic "independant ties on each corner" being the same.

Looking at your tractor on the trailer, I do not think you meet this regulation. For the moment, ignore the ties on the loader and the backhoe.

On the front, it looks like you tied off on one side of the trailer, ran the chian through the loader frame or tractor frame, and used a binder on the other side. That is one tie point, not two. A chain should go from one corner on the front of the tractor, to a front corner of the trailer where it will be bound with a binder. Then a chain should be tied to the opposite front corner of the tractor, and ran to a front corner tie point on the trailer and be bound.

In your picture, if the binder loosens, or the chain breaks, the whole front of the tractor is loose.

The same is true for the back of the tractor. Your chain simply goes over the the tractor; it does not appear to connect to it. It does not provide side-to-side- and front-back restraint. If that chain breaks or comes loose, the back of the tractor is loose.

The back chain should be connected to the right rear frame of the tractor, and go to the right rear of the trailer and be bound. Then, it can go to the left rear of the tractor and trailer, and be bound.

Your chain over the hoe is holding the tractor down, but not restraining the hoe and bucket. If the locking cross pins come loose, or are not installed for transport, the hoe could drop or swing side to side still. Best bet would probably be to chain across the end of the hoe near the bucket, and restrain it directly to the trailer deck.

Interestingly, I rented a L35 TLB a couple months ago. the rental yard had the trailer set up with four chains and binders to properly restrain the tractor per Calif regs. There was no restraint for the hoe though; they depended on the two "transport pins" that lock the how in place on the tractor.

All of this is IMHO, FWIW. I chain/bind all for corners of my B8200 based on what I have learnt about Calif rules.

If you find out more, be sure to post. This is good information to learn /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW.
bill, you aint gonna believe this ,but i searched the net for binders,got them from FURNISH EQUIPMENT CO I8 bucks each,same exact thing i looked at in stores local[they wanted 50] was gonna buy them at northern they were 4 bucks more and their shipping was too much.had them in 3 days. not sorry for taking a chance-good company
ESCAVADER

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #17  
Escavader: Front looks good, but on my 2230, where you have the chain across the fenders will bend 'em. Can you put the chain across the foot-well on the hoe, and angle them to a more rear pocket on the trailer? I'd think that would be a little more "beefy" there. I'd also look at releasing the hoe pins and setting it down on the trailer and running a chain across it. (IMHO I don't trust pins for transporting)

As an aside, when I chain my 2230 down I use the same spot on the front and across the 3pt somewhere, with the implement down. Then I lock the chain to itself as short as I can, and pull the tractor forward (maybe 6" is all) to tighten the rear chain, then use the binder on the front chain. One Binder = fewer places to break. (IMHO) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ IM SAFE,AND LEGAL NOW. #18  
Your load would be illegal here(California). So would Escavader's. There are not four independant tie down on the tractor, there are two. On the back, the chian is acroos the tractor, which in effect keeps the tractor from bouncing up, but does not entirely prevent side-side or front-back movement.

You are right about angling the rear chain; that would help prevent side-side or front-back movement. But, if you put one chain over the top of the hoe foot well, it is not anchored to the tractor; only resting tightly across it. The chain needs to anchored in two points to the back of the tractor, not simply over it. Both of those points need to be bound.

It is confusing; look at "Dargos"'s thread in owning/operating. rules differ state to state. And, Federal rules are different too...