I'm so lucky.......

/ I'm so lucky....... #1  

txturbo

Tractor
Ferguson TO35, JD317
I bought my first tractor about two weeks ago.....55 TO35. Haven't been on or worked on one since I was a teenager. My dad had a 9N that I use to use all the time. Anyway.....is it just me or is the whole country seriously lacking skill or pride in workmanship? I have such bad luck when I pay someone else to do work for me that usually I just do it myself, even if it requires buying the tools or equipment to get it done. I started working on this "it ran good when we parked it 4 years ago" tractor the same weekend I bought it. Figured it shouldn't take much to get it running again. I'm kinda in a rush because I'm closing on 10 acres on March 13th and I need to spread some dirt for the building foundation. Anyway, I had to clean the carb several times to get all the tar out of it so it would function again. Starter has been working great the whole time. Quite a bit of cranking get the carb to work and straightening out all the crossed spark plug wires. Finally get it to sound like it's going to start and I hear this terrible grinding, crunching noise and everything locks up solid. Pulled the starter out and find broken teeth on the starter drive. Nobody within 100 miles has a starter or parts. The local rebuilder has already proven his lack of ability, so I find another one that's near downtown Houston....I hate going down there. Drop it off during lunch and rush back over there after work on Friday and pick it up. All excited to hear this thing start up Saturday morning. Put it back on and do a test bump and everything seems good for startup. Turn the fuel on, pull the choke and push the button. Starter is spinning it over and I'm waiting for signs of life. It starts to sputter, push the choke in and it kicks off and struggles to maintain a clumsy very low idle. Sigh of relief......but wait....what the heck is that noise....after a split second I recognize it. The starter is still engaged. Shut it off and pull the starter again. The Bendix isn't retracting. I even tried to pry it back and it won't budge....so now I get to do it all over again. Maybe I should start rebuilding my own starters to.

/ I'm so lucky....... #2  
Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your tractor.
I do almost all my own work. Just have had to many bad experiences with other doing work for me.

Good luck.

/ I'm so lucky.......
Thanks....I called the rebuilder this morning and he is going to repair it while I wait. Maybe tonight I can get back to it.
I guess I did have better luck with the water pump. Bearing was so bad that the fan was hitting the shroud. Bought a new one and the pulley pressed off and on in about 5 minutes. Took longer to get it setup than it did the press it off and on.
I did have it idling long enough to see if the hydraulics work. The dust boots are in bad shape so I loosened the drain plugs and got about 10 quarts of water before I got to the thick sludge. Didn't have time yesterday to do the whole drain and flush exercise, but at least the water is out. That's reserved for next Friday.

/ I'm so lucky....... #4  
Thanks....I called the rebuilder this morning and he is going to repair it while I wait. Maybe tonight I can get back to it.
I guess I did have better luck with the water pump. Bearing was so bad that the fan was hitting the shroud. Bought a new one and the pulley pressed off and on in about 5 minutes. Took longer to get it setup than it did the press it off and on.
I did have it idling long enough to see if the hydraulics work. The dust boots are in bad shape so I loosened the drain plugs and got about 10 quarts of water before I got to the thick sludge. Didn't have time yesterday to do the whole drain and flush exercise, but at least the water is out. That's reserved for next Friday.

Check to see if you have a damaged ring gear. Sounds like that may be a possibility, since you have had problems with a newly rebuilt starter.

/ I'm so lucky.......
ring gear is fine. I took the starter back today after work and they pulled it apart. Starter drive is bad and they didn't have another one in stock. Will have it in the morning but I can't get back over there until Friday. Lady Luck strikes again.

/ I'm so lucky.......
Since I have no starter at the moment, I decided to do a couple other things last night. I've read in other posts that there is a hole in the clutch inspection cover with a cotter pin in it. Mine doesn't have that so I decided to take the cover off to take a look. Got a few dribbles of water at first then it broke loose and dumped about a quart of oil on me. So.....that hole seems like a good idea...should I drill a hole or is there some other way this oil is suppose to get out?

/ I'm so lucky.......
Ok.....drill a hole it is.
My starter should be done today and I got my new exhaust last night. Having trouble getting the innermost bolt loose. Been soaking it everyday, tapping with a hammer and using heat. I've never had to use all three and not have success. Will try again tonight.

/ I'm so lucky....... #8  
I've done some work on a 51 TO30 and they are great tractors. If you do an internet search for Ferguson TO35 - you will find places to get information and manuals - one site is "Fix that Ferguson" I'd look up the link for you, but don't have the time right now. GOOD LUCK !

/ I'm so lucky.......
Thanks.....I think I've already found most of the sites and I've actually already ordered parts from that one.

/ I'm so lucky....... #10  
I am not familiar with the T035 at all. Drilling a hole where one did not exist may not be the best plan. A hole allows other stuff to get in.
When you mentioned the amount of oil that came out I assume the tractor has a wet clutch?