I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #11  
I appreciate the input. As silly as this sounds part of the reason for wanting a tractor is I just think it would be cool to have.

Most of us only own and operate tractors, and spend hours on T-B-N, because tractors and tractor stuff make us feel cool and, maybe, more powerful than our years.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #12  
You will be cool in the minds of the men who spend lots of time on this site.

I get what you said about the image of yourself on a tractor. At 60 years old I think you earned it. I got my first tractor when I was 45 and I still get a kick out of just driving it and using it when I need it. Tractors aren't cheap but there's no substitute for having it right there when I need it.

I would say definitely 4WD because it's gotten me out of a jam on more than one occasion and I'll avoid opinions on the brands because all I know is my JD and my father's 9N so my experience is limited. Just do yourself a favor and get one big enough to do what you want it to do. Your land sounds nice. At 40 acres I'd say 30HP+.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #13  
Welcome from Wisconsin

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
Welcome from Wisconsin

Thanks and thanks to everyone helping. Ok, to get a little more specific, and probably look a little more stupid. He is an ad from CL and hopefully that is OK to do. If not, moderator please delete and let me know and I won't post a link again. This is one I thought was just great looking. No attachments and kind of close to my budget already but so cool looking. This is 2WD. Is it big enough to use a loader or does that not really matter and you just always need 4WD? Is this the kind of tractor you can put a loader on? What about a little backhoe? Am I looking at way too much tractor for 40 acres, especially with only a little bit cleared?

This is not necessarily the tractor I want, it is just so cool and I wanted to know if I am even looking at the right kind of machine? If I am way off can someone just post a real generic pic or model of more like what I should be thinking? Then I can at least have an idea what class/size to be looking for.

CASE/INTERNATIONAL 895 TRACTOR

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #15  
This is the Tractor Data page for that model.
At best, it's 20 years old. You're probably looking at another $7-8K for a loader. (or more)

I'd pass. If you're patient, you should be able to find something newer and with a loader for that kind of money.

Don't know exactly what part of MO you're in, but if you can go here: Brinkley Auctions in Idabel, OK They usually sell a couple hundred tractors each month. And, you can see multiple brands and models all in one place. Sit on them, crank them up, etc.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #16  
. . . can someone just post a real generic pic or model of more like what I should be thinking? Then I can at least have an idea what class/size to be looking for. . .
Look at these:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8745981
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8790007
Either one of these tractors will be a BUNCH newer than that Case. They are both 4WD and come with a loader. Also, they are more compact and much more maneuverable than the Case.

Hope that helps.

Look at these:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8745981
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8790007
Either one of these tractors will be a BUNCH newer than that Case. They are both 4WD and come with a loader. Also, they are more compact and much more maneuverable than the Case.

Hope that helps.

Wow great help. Thanks. I had no idea that tractor was old. It looked new to me. Thanks for both links and the links to a couple of examples. There is quite a difference in the style I was thinking of, and those you sent me. Man that blue one is sharp looking. I am sure that made some on here smile and some wince, but I gotta admit I love shiny things.

That auction is about 350 miles away. I am in SW Missouri East of Springfield. At least that is on the East side of OK, just pretty far south. But if I can go to a couple of those auctions, it would be an incredible learning experience and then when I am ready it looks like a place to get a deal. I would just have to find someone to go with me to check them out.

Now I have a couple of examples and can compare. This site is an amazing find for a guy who knows nothing about tractors and wants to research. Thanks again for the help. I have a whole new batch of studying to do.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #18  
EBay auctions a lot of tractors on via the internet. Go to BUSINESS & INDUSTRIAL >>HEAVY EQUIPMENT>>TRACTORS.

You can easily limit search to an area near your residence.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #19  
Someone else may have mentioned this and i missed it. Have you met any of your neighbors yet? They will know a good place in or near
Spingfield to look at some used tractors. My SIL lives near where you are and it is really nice country. The ones Bigfoot62 showed you would be great for what you have described. I am not as old as you (only 59) and I love using my tractor to clean pens, move hay, mow, lift things, and whatever else i can think of.
One more thing, I always wear a cowboy style hat when operating my tractor to keep the sun off, and it does look cool too:thumbsup:.

Someone else may have mentioned this and i missed it. Have you met any of your neighbors yet? They will know a good place in or near
Spingfield to look at some used tractors. My SIL lives near where you are and it is really nice country. The ones Bigfoot62 showed you would be great for what you have described. I am not as old as you (only 59) and I love using my tractor to clean pens, move hay, mow, lift things, and whatever else i can think of.
One more thing, I always wear a cowboy style hat when operating my tractor to keep the sun off, and it does look cool too:thumbsup:.

Sometimes my writing leaves a little to be desired. This is just empty land surrounded by pretty much empty land. It butts up against some conservation land and is pretty remote. There won't really be any neighbors to meet. Also I am not sure how I worded this, but I am in the process of buying it, but have not closed yet. Assuming it all goes through I will get out on it and put up some pics. But if any of you live around here, you will understand what I mean when I say this is remote and down by Theodosia. It isn't on a blacktop, and there really isn't many people that live around there. it would be more like preppers and off gridder type people if there were. This is just fun land, not real farmland.

If you are from around here, you know what I mean. But if you are a farmer where you can see across your fields without climbing a hill, this isn't that kind of land. I am sorry if I was unclear. This is pretty darn close. 36.657373, -92.786945 When you put that in Google Maps it shows South of the land I am buying by a couple of miles. The words Rock Spring are pretty close. There is a small creek and a chat road right by it. I don't know the GPS coordinates on the tract I am looking at, but this area is close and you will see why cutting and hauling wood is important to me. I am not a prepper, but I am a camper and want a spot to go on weekends.

Last edited: