I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #21  
You definitely, positively, without doubt, require a tractor with 4-WD, a good First Aid kit and multiple, secure, water bottle holders.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #22  
Sometimes my writing leaves a little to be desired. This is just empty land surrounded by pretty much empty land. It butts up against some conservation land and is pretty remote. There won't really be any neighbors to meet. Also I am not sure how I worded this, but I am in the process of buying it, but have not closed yet. Assuming it all goes through I will get out on it and put up some pics. But if any of you live around here, you will understand what I mean when I say this is remote and down by Theodosia. It isn't on a blacktop, and there really isn't many people that live around there. it would be more like preppers and off gridder type people if there were. This is just fun land, not real farmland.

If you are from around here, you know what I mean. But if you are a farmer where you can see across your fields without climbing a hill, this isn't that kind of land. I am sorry if I was unclear. This is pretty darn close. 36.657373, -92.786945 When you put that in Google Maps it shows South of the land I am buying by a couple of miles. The words Rock Spring are pretty close. There is a small creek and a chat road right by it. I don't know the GPS coordinates on the tract I am looking at, but this area is close and you will see why cutting and hauling wood is important to me. I am not a prepper, but I am a camper and want a spot to go on weekends.

Sounds like the ideal place to go and just be yourself. That's a very cool thing.
Throw in a tractor and wear the right hat & you'll be way cool.

Sounds like you will need an appropriately sized logging winch and a tractor to fit it. Definitely get 4WD & FEL.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #23  
Lots of make-sense comments. I looked at Google Maps view, and... trees! You might want to consider safe, secure storage for your tractor and gear, since it looks like it will be left in the middle of nowhere- or you will be doing some trailering? Folks have posted sad stories about tractor thefts from un-attended places.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #24  
How far are you from the Marshfield area? You can go visit the LS dealer there near Marshfield, and play with his toys. If you want to come down to Branson, I will let you play a little with my Kioti in my gravel pile. I have a DK35se a deluxe 35 horsepower hydrostatic drive machine with all the toys like pallet forks, grapple, 2 buckets etc. I don't have a backhoe, because we don't have much dirt down here, but we have lotsa rocks.:) Both Kioti and LS are good solid brands at a lower price point than Deere and Kubota. They are both made in South Korea and are good quality. I don't care much for the Chinese tractors, but Korean and Japanese tractors are top notch. I have been "tractoring" for over 20 years now and have owned 5 tractors, a Long (Romanian) a New Holland (Japanese at that time) 2 Kubotas (japanese of course) and now my Kioti (Korean). If you are interested in coming down, let me know.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
You definitely, positively, without doubt, require a tractor with 4-WD, a good First Aid kit and multiple, secure, water bottle holders.

When I get to use the land, I will definitely have the proper supplies and plenty of gear with me. That area on the map is pretty close, but not exactly the spot. I will get back down there with a GPS and try to get some pics. For SW Mo, the area I am looking at is relatively rolling and not just bluffs. This area of the state is a mix of Corps land and private land and not well marked. It isn't ever occupied much except during deer season. You can actually drive right to the corner of the land I am buying so at least if I could walk, I could get right to my vehicle and drive to help. But early on, I am sure I will go with a couple of buddies until I figure out what I am doing. I camp a lot, so I never travel without shelter, water and fire. And I haven't been a drinker since 1990 so I won't mix beer and tractors.

Lots of make-sense comments. I looked at Google Maps view, and... trees! You might want to consider safe, secure storage for your tractor and gear, since it looks like it will be left in the middle of nowhere- or you will be doing some trailering? Folks have posted sad stories about tractor thefts from un-attended places.

Ouch. That is one I never thought of. I guess I could store it in Theodosia and trailer it to the land.

How far are you from the Marshfield area? You can go visit the LS dealer there near Marshfield, and play with his toys. If you want to come down to Branson, I will let you play a little with my Kioti in my gravel pile. I have a DK35se a deluxe 35 horsepower hydrostatic drive machine with all the toys like pallet forks, grapple, 2 buckets etc. I don't have a backhoe, because we don't have much dirt down here, but we have lotsa rocks.:) Both Kioti and LS are good solid brands at a lower price point than Deere and Kubota. They are both made in South Korea and are good quality. I don't care much for the Chinese tractors, but Korean and Japanese tractors are top notch. I have been "tractoring" for over 20 years now and have owned 5 tractors, a Long (Romanian) a New Holland (Japanese at that time) 2 Kubotas (japanese of course) and now my Kioti (Korean). If you are interested in coming down, let me know.

I am not too far from either one. I live in Springfield. That is a reason I have to get out of here on weekends. If you have been around the area long, you have seen Springfield grow from the beautiful small town (about 50,000 when I moved here) to a city of close to 200k. Now we have home invasions and shootings, old people murdered for coin collections, drug shootings and all the blight of KC and St Louis.

So I want to have a man land, instead of a man cave in my garage. Silly and expensive but I want it.

I will keep your offer in mind. Hopefully the closing is within the next month or so, but a lot is dependent on the survey. I am having a lawyer do the closing so I can make sure I am not going to have any issues with the boundaries. I had the pleasure of buying land with an easement once. I know people do it all the time, but my experience was not good. This is supposedly deeded right to the gravel.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #28  
By the way SSQA is Skid Steer Quick Attach, it is a universal brand agnostic attachment system for the front end of your Front End Loader (FEL). You really want to get it if possible as it allows you to change implements on your loader in just seconds. For example if you have the normal bucket on the FEL, and you want to now put on your pallet forks you just throw a lever or two and hook up the pallet forks and off you go. Or change that out for your Grapple. Of course with the grapple you will have to have the hydraulic hoses brought to the front and have a hydraulic circuit to hook up to to actuate the lid of the grapple. Grapples are extremely useful for moving brush, logs, and rocks. SSQA makes all of this possible, without it, you are pretty much stuck with having a bucket on your FEL, and that is it, or maybe some clamp on pallet forks you clamp on to the bucket..

DSCF0555.JPGDSCF0554.JPGDSCF0550.JPGDSCF0547.JPGDSCF0527.JPG090812 007.jpg

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #29  
I am not too far from either one. I live in Springfield. That is a reason I have to get out of here on weekends. If you have been around the area long, you have seen Springfield grow from the beautiful small town (about 50,000 when I moved here) to a city of close to 200k. Now we have home invasions and shootings, old people murdered for coin collections, drug shootings and all the blight of KC and St Louis.

So I want to have a man land, instead of a man cave in my garage. Silly and expensive but I want it.

I will keep your offer in mind. Hopefully the closing is within the next month or so, but a lot is dependent on the survey. I am having a lawyer do the closing so I can make sure I am not going to have any issues with the boundaries. I had the pleasure of buying land with an easement once. I know people do it all the time, but my experience was not good. This is supposedly deeded right to the gravel.

I lived in Springfield, for many years, and lived around and worked in Springfield for many years, and now live just outside (north east end) of Branson. And like you I would not really want to live in Springfield again. Well if you do decide to come down, I can teach you all about SSQA and hydraulics and indoctrinate you on the joys of a Hydrostatic equipped tractor and how to get you all set up and spend your money. :)

By the way SSQA is Skid Steer Quick Attach, it is a universal brand agnostic attachment system for the front end of your Front End Loader (FEL). You really want to get it if possible as it allows you to change implements on your loader in just seconds. For example if you have the normal bucket on the FEL, and you want to now put on your pallet forks you just throw a lever or two and hook up the pallet forks and off you go. Or change that out for your Grapple. Of course with the grapple you will have to have the hydraulic hoses brought to the front and have a hydraulic circuit to hook up to to actuate the lid of the grapple. Grapples are extremely useful for moving brush, logs, and rocks. SSQA makes all of this possible, without it, you are pretty much stuck with having a bucket on your FEL, and that is it, or maybe some clamp on pallet forks you clamp on to the bucket..

View attachment 388451View attachment 388452View attachment 388453View attachment 388454View attachment 388455View attachment 388456

Wow. Now that was great looking. I think I have misjudged how much work one of the smaller tractors will do. That looks like more than enough for anything I would ever move and it sounds like no matter how big the tractor is, it isn't for pond work or bulldozer stuff. Man I love this site. I have been on here more in three days than I was on the internet in the last three weeks.

I will definitely try to come see your tractor in person. Thanks for the pics. I see and understand better than I read and understand.