Impact and Torque Wrenches

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #101  
I have cheap both SAE and metric 3/8" deep impact socket sets and an SAE 1/2" deep impact socket set that I've used for many years and I've never broken one, but I never use my chrome sockets on the impact wrenches.

I have used standard chrome sockets on impact wrenches...frequently. So does a buddy of mine who runs a Porsche Shop. He does have impact sockets for the more frequently used sizes though.
Of course, we're both in the habit (he got me in the habit, actually) of using impact wrenches for removal of fasteners primarily. We might install the fastener too (the nut more then the bolt), but not to the point of tightness. We torque almost everything (actually, progressive torquing).
On a Porsche, where everthing in aluminum or sometimes magnesium, torquing is important.

But even on a tractor, I prefer to torque...and use anti-seize compund. For one thing, makes things easier to disassemble if you have to (ever get a flat on the road...you're <font color=red>standing...no, jumping up and down,</font color=red> on the lug wrench because some yahoo airgunned the lug nuts to 12,000 ft lbs.?

Just my personal habits...

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #102  
Certainly nothing wrong with using the chrome sockets, Roy, as long as you know they might break and take appropriate precautions. And speaking of lug nuts . . . this '99 F150 I recently bought has some fancy chrome wheels that make a thin walled 3/4" socket necessary. Some idiot had put a 13/16" socket in the glove compartment and it would be useless, so I was looking at tirerack.com and their Gorilla sockets, but didn't see exactly the one I wanted. I called, the guy wasn't sure so he gave me the 800 number for the Gorilla company, I called them and the lady there told me they had exactly what I wanted and gave me the part number, said they didn't sell direct, have to go through a distributor and it would be a special order, but that they could drop ship it directly to me if I wanted. I called tirerack back, he said they could do that, I placed the order and he said I should have it in 4 or 5 days. UPS delivered it the next afternoon./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #103  
Just a couple of things to note on the chrome sockets. They are't all made the same. Some will stand up to alot more abuse than others. Myself I always try to use an impact socket when using my gun. But at times this isn't possible, so I have no choice but to use a chrome socket. Usually it's because of the wall thickness of the socket. Impact sockets are much thicker bodied to help take the abuse of the guns.

One of the main reasons that impact sockets aren't chromed is that when used on an impact the chrome will peel or chip. If you have ever been cut by a socket you know what I"m speaking of. It can slice ya better than a razor knife.

Have I ever broken a chrome socket on an impact gun YES and it was a snap-on socket. I've also broken Mac and Matco sockets with my gun. So alot of this depends on what your working on, larger equipment has higher torque values than small cars and also what knuckehead put it on before you. But I've also broken a couple of impact sockets as well. After alot of use things do break. But remember when buying tools you get what you pay for. A cheap set of impacts would hold up for average home use.

Gordon

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #104  
this '99 F150 I recently bought has some fancy chrome wheels that make a thin walled 3/4" socket necessary.

Porsche's have aluminum lug nuts (cap nuts, actually). There are sockets with plastic inserts available to prevent scarring the nuts.
I've never seen these for American vehicles, but I'm sure they're around...

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #105  
i had a similar situation as you have, i bought a sanborne compressor on sale for $250, 3hp 30 gal tank. bought a cheap impact wrench from northern. this has handled the removal of the mower blades very nicely, i have had this setup for about 14 years, just occasionally change the oil in the compressor and add a drop of oil to the inlet on the impact wrench, and you can keep the tools about forever. i use them infrequently as you are suggesting. befor this i had the breaker bar and pipe routine, now i can just lift the mower, block it up and reach under and run the wrench after securing the blade with a piece of 2X4. dont have to remove the mower which is a PIA. blades off, sharpen them and right back on, no muss no fuss. for this kind of work, you dont need a lot of air, i would think thatfor this infrequent use, one of the imported compressors in harbor freight for under $200 would work well, they also sell the impact wrenches you could get away for less than $300 including the hose. now i dont think you will be spraypainting cars or running the high volume tools, but for the purpose you have in mind, you would be fine with just this minmal rig. it would give you enough air to run the wrench, fill tires, and use some of the lower air volume tools.

alex