Impact and Torque Wrenches

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #91  
<font color=blue>Adjust the air/torque setting to the lowest compatible with the job at hand.</font color=blue>

Takes too much time./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I guess you know that some air impact wrenches have no adjustment, but most do. However, I've almost never seen a mechanic use anything but full power. Assembly lines, of course, make use of the other settings, and using the lower setting to run nuts on, then a torque wrench for the final tightening would be the "best" way to do it, I'm sure.

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #92  
<font color=blue>Assembly lines, of course, make use of the other settings...</font color=blue>

We do that at work. However, we have this really cool device that allows us to calibrate our air tools. It's a nut mounted in some kind of measuring device. Put the socket on the nut, pull the trigger, and you get a read-out of your torque setting in your choice of formats (inch pound, foot pound, newton meter, etc.)

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #93  
Paul, is that a Skidmore-Wilhelm? I'm sure there are others on the market, but that's the only one I know anything about; costs a little over $1,000 for each model (plus some neat accessories if you want them). Of course, there are different models for different size air tools.

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #94  
No, it's a Desoutter. Kind of small for tractor work - handles up to 74 lb-pounds. I don't know what the unit cost and was unable to find pricing online. Just thought it was a neat item - and indispensable in a production environment. If it's anywhere near the 1000$ mark, perhaps a little too pricey for the casual home user.

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #95  
<font color=blue>indispensable in a production environment</font color=blue>

Absolutely, and too expensive for the rest of us./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #96  
A task analysis is a start, but what are the enabling and terminal objectives stated in quantified measurable terms? Has the tool user ever been able to do the job satisfactorily in the past. Is performance punishing or rewarding?

Small horific anecdote regarding air driven impact tools. First this: Consider that if you don't know what you are doing with a wrench, getting hold of an air powered impact wrench is not a good idea. It just empowers you to screw up faster, worse and more often. It is faster, stronger, and has less "feel/feedback" than using a regular wrench.

I was at a location of a popular chain muffler shop that also does shocks, brakes, and like that. They, just for the sake of the story, can be called Midas Muffler and Brake. They are doing a "FREE" brake inspection which only costs about $20 for a full floating rear axle P/U truck cause they have to remove the rear drums and reassemble with new rear axle gaskets.

First the moron they let practice on my truck couldn't remove the second rear wheel because he was blissfully unaware that certain select millions of Ford trucks kept a closely guarded secret, lugs on opposite sides turn in opposite directions. So after trying to tighten the lug off the truck for a couple minutes wuith his powerful air driven impact tool turned up to the max, I suggested that he could try it in the loosening direction. He declined to "DO IT WRONG". I accepted full responsibility. He tried again and voila, the lug came off.

Manager comes over and ushers me back into waiting room with glass viewing port, to watch the animals at play, I mean men at work. I had violated the holy of holies and gone on the shop floor to rescue his miscreant bozo and save them big trouble if they broke something off, but NO get back on your side of the cage. Now with both rear wheels off he tries to take off the axle bolts. From my vantage point I cannot see that he is employing his newly learned F O R D specific secret knowledge to twist off the axle bolts. He broke two trying to tighten them off. Now that he KNEW that that side was bassackwards he was going to apply that new knowledge through extrapolation to everything on that side of the truck. Of course, unfortunately for this bozo, the FORD engineering staff used regular right hand threaded axle bolts on both sides.

They drilled them out and used ez-outs to remove them and then replaced them with bolts that were too short. It would have been fun to watch them try to use their standard ez-out on a left hand thread had he managed to twist one off! So far this chain has only bought me two new two way radio antennas due to their driving the truck through those neat advertising banners they put across their service bays. This was in two separate visits to the same store.

Regarding professional training... Apparently we must allow for slow learners.

Patrick

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #98  
A chuckle? Yes. But I can't say it's too new. I ran into that same problem with the left handed threads on the left side of vehicles, except I was the guy trying to get them off by turning them the wrong way./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Of course that was a few years ago. You know Chrysler products used to have those left handed threads on their cars. (Does that tell you anything about how long ago it was?) And I didn't have an impact wrench back then, so at least I didn't break anything./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #99  
Sorry to reply to a message almost a year old.. is this an etiquette breach? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Just wondering.. do these air impact wrenchs need special sockets, or will normal ones work? I'd like to get a 1/2 inch drive air wrench, but am not sure if I need new sockets for it?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #100  
<font color=blue>is this an etiquette breach?</font color=blue>

None that I know of, but it's been so long ago that I doubt I remember all the thread and ain't gonna go back and read all of it again./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>do these air impact wrenchs need special sockets, or will normal ones work?</font color=blue>

I know a lot of people use ordinary chrome sockets . . . and get away with it most of the time, although you may break them, so be sure to wear eye protection if you try it./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif But the simple answer to your question is that you need to use sockets that are designated as "impact sockets". They will not be chrome, they will be 6-point, not 12-point, and you can get them in both standard and deep versions, naturally in SAE or metric. Personally, I don't think you need the expensive ones. I have cheap both SAE and metric 3/8" deep impact socket sets and an SAE 1/2" deep impact socket set that I've used for many years and I've never broken one, but I never use my chrome sockets on the impact wrenches.