Impressions from a visit to Power Trac

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #1  

Griff

Tractor
PT422
Visited the Power Trac facility on Oct 6. As for the overall, just look at anyone elses thread who has been there. Great place, well laid out, parts in stock, nice people etc etc. I won't repeat all the gushy stuff here other than to say I would feel comfortable buying sight unseen if I had a good idea of just how to use the attachments, but since this is the first machine I will own that has this range of options, I needed the education. I'll be stopping back on another trip to take the Maintenance class they offer.

Before going, my primary thought was 425 or 2422. Both turned out to be easy to run, feel solid etc. The ease of use of all the machines was incredible. My wife even jumped on the 2422 while I was playing on the 425 and got it muddy with no problems /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Our bottom line - while a great machine, the 2422 is too much for our needs. Backhoe would be used some, but having to remount the rear hitch every time we used it would become anoying. I would most likely find ways to do things with the other attachments before resorting to the backhoe (even though it would only involve 4 bolts - I'm spoiled by the thought of the quick attach already). The height might be an issue in the wooded areas we want to develop, especially when adding the cannopy they are working on for the 2422. Also the 2422's weight would require that I get a new trailer to transport it.

So... we are looking at the 425 or 422. It is really coming down to the availability of a Robbins dealer near me... if there is one close I'll save the money (more likely buy an extra attachment)and go with the smaller engine. I've seen some other comments that due to the low wieght of the 425, even bar tread tires can't get enough traction to use all the HP. I had some of this with the 422 I test drove since it had just rained and I was working the big dirt pile they have that was all mud at the base. The wheels would lose traction if I went too fast or attempted to take too big a bite with the bucket. However, drilling holes in wet clay didn't even slow it down, so the smaller engine didn't appear to be an issue.

The biggest suprise / educational part of the trip was what you can do with the attachments. Between the capability of them and the quick attach, I eliminated some (or at least removed the tough decision of which to get/not get and keep it within the budget) and decided to add some others. This would not be much of an issue for someone who has the background/experience with many of the implements, but for a homeowner moving up from just a mowing machine, this alone made the trip worth while. With the projects we are planning, I doubt I'll need to rent anything (maybe an excavator - once).

The only thing I found missing was the lack of fendors on the 422. No fendors combined with a muddy environment made me glad I had packed an extra pair of pants for the trip. Maybe I could mount a pair like are on the 2422, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to modify it. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Hmm... it would even give me one more place to mount a Chalkley Cup!!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Will be ordering by the end of the week once I know more about the engine dealer. I'm figuring the only real downside to getting the power trac is the number of people who are going to have questions and want to check it out once they see me using it. Productivity may really fall off for a while. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Now I just need to figure out how to break the news to my Ingersoll... it has laughed at everything I've put it through to date, but I know it won't be up to the next round of projects.

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #2  
I am looking also at the 422/425 for my first large tractor. Would be very interested in your comments and also what attachments you purchased.
Paul

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #3  
Griff:
I know you'll be happy with your choice, I have been very happy with my pt425. I have been very pleased the way my wife has quickly learned to use the machine, she has not shyed away and it is not intimidating to her at all. (a lot of other machines we looked at were).

One quick thing about a statement made on another thread, it was about getting articulating machines pinned against trees, houses and fences. I have a lot of trees, out buildings, fences and a long open swail. I did almost get pinned a few times when I first got the machine, particularly when backing away from something. I look at this more like a learning curve than anything else, you have to learn to steer the implement. It sounds weird but you quickly learn to do this automaticly as you get a feel for the articulation moving the tractor as you turn.

I would buy the same machine in a second and most people that see it work and hear the price quickly consider buying one. (No I am not talking about people watching me cut grass, considering this machine a mostly grass machine is a misstake, though it cuts grass very well it is the loader capabilities that realy make people stop and look.)

Good Luck: PTRich

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #4  
Griff, what attachments did you plan on buying and which ones did you not buy and why! Your thoughts and opinions!
Thanks for the report!
KCook

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac
I'm still working through that list... besides, if I stall till Friday, then it will go in on the next billing cycle for the credit card. It will be almost two months before it will cost me real money! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I'll post the results and reasons shortly.

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #6  
I like how Griff doesnt tell us where he lives. He probobly doesnt want us decending on his place with a lot of ideas how to use the machine once WE have tried it out. Then again he could throw a big coming out party and we could help break his new baby in. Lets take a vote, all in favor say AYE! all opposed, say nae. Lets have those votes in early. Bob

I better clear something up... I wasn't attempting to hide.. I just have three kids and can never seem to complete anything anymore (like filling out all of my profile). Everyone is more than welcome to stop by the land where the buzzards return every year. Around here, having a pile of brush to burn is reason to call for a neighborhood party & bonfire. In the fall, starting the tractor may very often result in hitching up a trailer, gather up the neighbors and have a hay ride (sans hay). This is the real reason why I need to make sure I can mount a ball hitch on the back of whatever I buy.... I have orders from my wife - make sure that whatever I buy is big enough to pull a trailer filled with neighbors and drinks...

For anyone who is not familiar with the reference to Buzzards, just as the swallows return to Capistrano each year, the Buzzards return to Hinckley, OH each spring. As for testing out the new tractor... there may be a problem... you'll have to wait in line behind all of those neighbors I mentioned. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #8  
You have this listed for hobbies...None that I can do at the moment - I have 3 kids... I think we know what your hobby is! ;)

/ Impressions from a visit to Power Trac #9  
Griff did you try a 418? I am wondering how 18hp does in a PT. Do you feel the lift height is enough for most applications?
I havent gone to the factory yet, but I will have to before Christmas. I have a clever idea for a front backhoe with a little help from "CAD ?" I may even put in a front blade to use as front stabilizers. Let us know how the purchase is going? Bob

OK... here is the list... I spent an extra week tracking down a Robbins dealer and going over the numbers etc. I must say that the patriotic feeling came over me and I really wanted to help the economy as much as possible. I also did the math and the cost of financing for a few months verses shipping more than once made it an easy decision. I bought just about everything I think I will need for the next five years.....

PT-422 - Turns out there are two Robbins dealers near me, so long term service was no longer an issue.

Canopy - At my wifes insistance - too many farms near us result in too many roll over accidents for her liking.

60" Mower - base need - the lawn must be mowed.
Forks - This will make life much easier to get firewood near the house. I stack it on pallates anyway.
Brush Hog - A few acres of thorny undergrowth were we want to put trails through the woods will fall to this item.
Post Holl Digger + 6" & 12" auger - for both landscaping and for supports for a few bridges, a deck and outbuilding that are in the plans.
Bucket 5 cu ft w/ Teeth - Dressing the edges of the pond, light regrading some of the wooded areas, many other digging/move dirt tasks.
Bucket 10 Cu ft - mulch and anything else it can carry.
Stump Cutter - not only for stumps, but for shallow trenches for electrical lines.
Fertilizer Spreader - it would be nice to actually have some grass mixed in with the weeds. Also have some areas to seed.
Aerator - large areas of compacted soil leftover from excavating the pond really need loosened up.
Box Blade - remember those trails I mentioned. Also to finish out the 'beach' part of the pond (cheaper than a pool!!).

PT is also providing an extender to mount a ball hitch onto. Just a tube of steel with a hole for the ball, but I don't have a drill press to make one.

While this is more than I need at the moment, it will all be put to use next spring at the latest. Like I said, I figured it wouldn't hurt to do my part to help the economy. Shipping a second load in the spring would cost more than a few months financing for the amount over budget. Of course, the first project will be to put up the new outbuilding since it will be a little cramped in the garage /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

The only item missing is some type of bucket for digging, but as posted in some other threads, there are some options out there. The folks at http://www.lackender-fab.com have indicated they would even make the attachment plate for their small bucket. This would give me a limited use backhoe mounted to the front of the PT. Left/Right swing is easy due to the articulation of the tractor. However... that one may have to wait until spring.

In looking through my notes on JD, Kubota, Steiner, Ventrac, Cub Cadet (even at firesale prices - delear had stock from a closed location) I still could not have come close to this figure unless I stuck with just a mower, loader and forks. In fact, the Ventrac (23 hp gas engine) that I started with during this search had a base price, no attachments, of $90 more than what I paid for everything listed (before negotiating something lower).

Thanks to all for the feedback, help etc.