in the market for an old vw bug

/ in the market for an old vw bug #11  
i think i'll have to rig up something other than the spare tire to run the ww sprayer though. my wife uses the ww's alot.. the spare would constantly be empty.. :)

I forgot about that WW deal with the spare. Ha!

When I was a kid, we had 1 beetle(late 60's) that my dad about got killed in when someone hit him.
We also went through at least 4 busses. I believe a grey '68, and blue 72 (new), then a couple later 70's used ones.
One of them had some "interesting" modifications...
It kept going back to the dealer for repairs to the engine. After months and months of returns to the shop, it was discovered that the engine had been modified at the factory with some Porche parts and the pistons were installed upside-down, causing problems with the balance of the engine. From what I remember, the pistons were weighted to the bottom side since the engine was horizontal, and having them in with the weighted side up caused horrible problems. It also had dual two-barrel carbs from the factory. Anyhow, after much fighting with the dealer, and my dad's attorney writing to VW of America, they rebuilt the engine properly at a cost of only some belts and hoses to my father. That bus was what I learned to drive in. It could pull wheelies over beer cans! Won some good bets with that! :laughing:

/ in the market for an old vw bug #12  
Had a Kharman Ghia in 72 . Great little car in the snow , but the defrost left alot to be desired .
I forgot my dad had one of those, also, only a 60's model. It didn't last long. Not too practical with 5 kids! :laughing: I think it was the start of his mid-life crisis. He dumped that for a bug, then dumped the bug for a mid 60's mustang (another mid-life crisis) :)

/ in the market for an old vw bug #13  
Our bug had a gasoline heater. INSTANT heat!!!

The busses had the boxes around the exhaust manifolds that always rusted out. I distinctly remember having to stop and scrape the frost off the insides of the windows in winter on the way to school several times. We would have to keep the wing windows open pointing at the windshield. MAN THAT WAS COLD!!! Well below zero, shivering uncontrollably. My sisters would take hot water bottles inside their coats. Ahh, those were the days!!! :thumbsup:

/ in the market for an old vw bug #15  
Great cars back in the day. Had a 68 bug....bought used. Rebuilt engine at around 90K.....drove it for years....rebuilt engine again at about 180K.......ran it a couple more years before finally selling it. Great memories.......that little bug took me a lot of places!:thumbsup:

/ in the market for an old vw bug
i had a pea green mini van / microbus whatever they were called.. was a early 70's model. neat lil thing.

yep.. i hear heat is an issue with these especially the floor pans... and ac is dependent on how fast you go. :)

looking at issues so far.. I guess i am seeing that some late ones were efi.. and then some had the auto stick... will be avoiding those 2.. looking for one with a type 31 carb I think.. and no preference on engine size since i will be looking at fuel eco.. 1300 would be me just as well.. don't need the full 36hp :)

will have to rig up something for ww.. and make sure 12v works.. ;)

nice site.. I just registered there!

/ in the market for an old vw bug #19  
i had a pea green mini van / microbus whatever they were called.. was a early 70's model. neat lil thing.
yep.. i hear heat is an issue with these especially the floor pans... and ac is dependent on how fast you go. :)

looking at issues so far.. I guess i am seeing that some late ones were efi.. and then some had the auto stick... will be avoiding those 2.. looking for one with a type 31 carb I think.. and no preference on engine size since i will be looking at fuel eco.. 1300 would be me just as well.. don't need the full 36hp :)

will have to rig up something for ww.. and make sure 12v works.. ;)

Around here, we called those things "Hippie Hotels". :laughing:

i slept in that type 2 many, many times. :)