In your worst dreams.....

/ In your worst dreams..... #31  
My worst day was way back when I was ten or eleven years old. I was driving the IH super M with a 12' spring tooth drag behind getting a field ready for my Dad to plant when he got home from work. I turned a corner to sharp (probably thinking about girls or cars) and before I knew what was going on I had wrapped the drag around the tire. I ruined the drag and the rear tire and he field was not even close to being ready to plant. Any of you ever see the cartoons where someone gets hit in the head and they see stars? I can honestly say that there is a real life equivalent. :rolleyes:

/ In your worst dreams..... #32  
When I was in high school I worked for a cement mason. He had a very old Ford tractor with a loader which we used to fill the mixer. One day while I was returning the tractor to the shop, I came around the back side of the building much too fast and cranked the steering wheel hard left at which point the three spokes connecting the steering wheel to the column broke off. Fascinated by this unexpected turn of events, I forgot I was still travelling forward and smashed through the door of the building destroying several burial vaults before coming to a stop.

/ In your worst dreams..... #33  
Pete Milley said:
When I was in high school I worked for a cement mason. He had a very old Ford tractor with a loader which we used to fill the mixer. One day while I was returning the tractor to the shop, I came around the back side of the building much too fast and cranked the steering wheel hard left at which point the three spokes connecting the steering wheel to the column broke off. Fascinated by this unexpected turn of events, I forgot I was still travelling forward and smashed through the door of the building destroying several burial vaults before coming to a stop.

this would be perfect for one of those commercials "Wanna get away?"

/ In your worst dreams..... #34  
Farmwithjunk said:
Uh.. I'll ask her tonight when I get home! It was my then future wife that made me drive off in the ditch. ;)

(She's made me do a number of stupid things over the years. :) )

Now THAT is really funny!:D

/ In your worst dreams.....
Glowplug said:
Now THAT is really funny!:D

Just asked Leigh about that day. She recalls the event better that I do. She was driving with her mother also in the car. She said to her mother, "I think that boy just wrecked his tractor". They almost turned around to see if I was alright. I jumped off the tractor and ran out onto the road. Once they saw I was OK, there was no need to turn around.

We hadn't met yet. They were visiting Leighs grandmother, who lived just up the road from my parents. My mom and her dad went through school together. Later that summer, we met at a church picnic. I won her a 4' tall stuffed animal. She still has it. That was 46 years ago. We were married 3 years later.

And yes, I'll ALWAYS recall the first time I saw the young lady who went on to be my wife.

/ In your worst dreams..... #36  
Farmwithjunk said:
Just asked Leigh about that day. She recalls the event better that I do. She was driving with her mother also in the car. She said to her mother, "I think that boy just wrecked his tractor". They almost turned around to see if I was alright. I jumped off the tractor and ran out onto the road. Once they saw I was OK, there was no need to turn around.

We hadn't met yet. They were visiting Leighs grandmother, who lived just up the road from my parents. My mom and her dad went through school together. Later that summer, we met at a church picnic. I won her a 4' tall stuffed animal. She still has it. That was 46 years ago. We were married 3 years later.

And yes, I'll ALWAYS recall the first time I saw the young lady who went on to be my wife.

Absolutely amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

Glowplug said:
Absolutely amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

And today (Aug 12th) is the anniversary of the chuch picnic/day we officially met!

/ In your worst dreams..... #38  
Farmwithjunk said:
From my youngest days, I recall being addicted to tractorin'. It never took much of an excuse to get me on one. I really enjoy the time I spend in the seat to this day, even after literally THOUSANDS of hours.

But then you have days like my yesterday :eek:

8-1/2 hours (fortunately in a cab) of mowing dense weeds (not mowed for 3 years) that were taller than eye level sitting down. A mix-match of every noxious weed commonly found around these parts. Some areas had Kudsu vining all over the weeds. (You southerners know what Kudsu is all about) 23 acres worth. In places, it was so thick, I was cutting only with half the width of the batwing, just so I could keep the tractor in clear ground to be able to see ANYTHING.

I found, (A) 2 car tires, (B) a pile of old wooden fence post's, (C) a couple box traps, (D) 3 deer, (E) 2 of the fattest racoons I've ever seen, (F) and most important, I found that not EVERY minute spent in the operators seat is fun.

The property owners ain't gonna like the bill either :(

SO, what's the WORST time you've ever spent in the seat?

I have to ask Bill, the first time she saw you after the ditch incident, did she bust out laughing?? " he he he he, Oh yeah, I remember you, you ditched your Allis along that road...... "

So is there any animal DNA on you equipment?? Did you ever get pics of you tractors and mowing equipment??

Kudzu Vining??

Kudzu, the vine that ate the South « Sherry’s Place

WilliamBos said:
I have to ask Bill, the first time she saw you after the ditch incident, did she bust out laughing?? " he he he he, Oh yeah, I remember you, you ditched your Allis along that road...... "

So is there any animal DNA on you equipment?? Did you ever get pics of you tractors and mowing equipment??

Kudzu Vining??

Kudzu, the vine that ate the South ォ Sherry痴 Place

Fortunately, Leigh didn't recognize me right away. But I sure remembered seeing her. It was after a few weeks of proper "courting" before I told her it was me that drove the tractor into the ditch when I saw her.

That's a good article on Kudzu. Probably got it growing in my computer by now!

/ In your worst dreams..... #40  
Farmwithjunk said:
Yep... Along with the assorted Canadian Thistle, Bull Thistle, ect, and so on. We always try to clean off tractors and mowers before leaving every job. Then they go home for a quick turn around service and inspection. I've got a couple customers that are big fancy Arabian horse farms. We mow several hundred acres of pasture there that looks nicer than my front lawn! If I hauled weed seed in to those places, they'd have my head on a silver platter :eek:

On a side note, there's a woman just down the road from me that has a Kudsu removal business. She "employs" several dozen goats instead of mowers. She keeps 'em booked up year round.

So are you saying that you can get a manicured cut clean enough to satisfy that customer with a rotary cutter?!?