Tires Industrial tire vs Turf tire

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #11  
Ask your salesman to order through wholegoods as if he was ordering a set of wheels and tires (mounted) for a new tractor.I got mine through Mt Airy Tractor in N.C. for under $475.00 including paying for shipping last december 2011.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #12  
Our BX2660 plows pretty well with the 60" Kubota blade and turfs on all 4 corners.
Thinking of loading the rears to get a little bit more traction, but it does pretty well as long as you dont high center it on packed snow.

Aaron Z

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #13  
My dealer told me alot of people do order a second set cause they are so cheap. Have you thought about a set of chains for yours? That may be a cheaper option than a second set of tires plus they will take up less space. I have seen bx's on youtube plowing with r4s without chains and they are doing really good. If you would be interested in a set of of chains you may want to check with tirechains.com, they have good prices.

I don't want to go with chains as I want to clear concrete sidewalks and driveways, as well as sealed paved driveways, and my experience with chains is they mark up anything. I just ordered a rear scraper blade and urethane edge to prevent marking. Plan is on short driveways is to pull the snow out in the road with the rear blade then move it off to the side with the FEL. This is my first snow season with a tractor so I don't know what to expect. I too have seen some impressive snow plowing YouTube videos.

I have read where almost everyone says the turfs are the best snow tire, and the R4's are the worst. Not that I would ever trade my R4's for turfs, I love my R4's, I would also like to have a set of turfs.

Any idea what "so cheap" really is? I never asked my dealer, I just assumed they would have been outrageous.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #14  
Ask your salesman to order through wholegoods as if he was ordering a set of wheels and tires (mounted) for a new tractor.I got mine through Mt Airy Tractor in N.C. for under $475.00 including paying for shipping last december 2011.

Thank you!!! That is the exact information I have been looking for! That is a deal! I would be happy to pay that any day for a set of tires and rims. Mt. Airy is not too far down the road from me, if my local dealer won't work with me I know where to go!

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #15  
On Turfs vs R4s, we have turfs on the BX2660 and R4s on the B7500. The BX has better traction when plowing on paved/hard ground or packed snow, the B has better traction on loose snow, soft ground or in the mud.

Aaron Z

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #16  
Kabuki Tractor said:
I don't want to go with chains as I want to clear concrete sidewalks and driveways, as well as sealed paved driveways, and my experience with chains is they mark up anything. I just ordered a rear scraper blade and urethane edge to prevent marking. Plan is on short driveways is to pull the snow out in the road with the rear blade then move it off to the side with the FEL. This is my first snow season with a tractor so I don't know what to expect. I too have seen some impressive snow plowing YouTube videos.

I have read where almost everyone says the turfs are the best snow tire, and the R4's are the worst. Not that I would ever trade my R4's for turfs, I love my R4's, I would also like to have a set of turfs.

Any idea what "so cheap" really is? I never asked my dealer, I just assumed they would have been outrageous.

I have only heard of turf being superior in snow if you have chains. On lawn mowers I have had with turfs you had to chains them up to go in the snow. A turf tire is completly flat so you can take full advantage of a chain were a r4 or ag part of the chain lays down in the tread and you only benefit from half a chain. The snow packs in the turf tire just like mud does. I have actually had it ball up on the front tires. I think with out chains r4s are better than turfs. Go to youtube and check the bx's in the snow. The only way to really find out if the r4s will work for you in the snow is to try them in the snow but that could be a pain if it does not work out for you. If you would get stuck you could use your fel to push yourself out. I am hopping I will not need chains for my 4240, some guys on here are getting by without them.

Here is some rubber tire chains I just found. That may be something for you to consider. I dont know how well they would work.
http://www.rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #17  
Bear in mind that traction and tread pattern is not the only difference between the tires. R4's are designed specifically for loader work, and usually have more plys than R1's, for example. As a result, R4's are more resistant to puncture.

I have R4's on my tractor, and there is no question that they leave a mark. They only really sink in in the mud. In wet ground, they will tear up the grass if I go over a spot too many times. In dry ground, the same is true, but it takes more times. I would hesitate to use this tractor as a full-time mower because there would be too many times when the ground would not be dry enough and I would want to mow. But given the weight of the tractor (about 3500 lbs with loader), I'm not sure that wouldn't also be true with turfs. And I also am not sure whether, if I had turfs, I would be here complaining about the lack of traction when using the box blade or what-have-you.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #18  
My experience is the turf does better in snow and ice. The r4 is better for tilling. On the grass, the only damage is when its wet....well i don't cut wet grass so its a non issue for me.

One small dealer who also did local snow clearing told me he only uses turf on his snow removal tractors.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #19  
I have only heard of turf being superior in snow if you have chains. On lawn mowers I have had with turfs you had to chains them up to go in the snow. A turf tire is completly flat so you can take full advantage of a chain were a r4 or ag part of the chain lays down in the tread and you only benefit from half a chain. The snow packs in the turf tire just like mud does. I have actually had it ball up on the front tires. I think with out chains r4s are better than turfs. Go to youtube and check the bx's in the snow. The only way to really find out if the r4s will work for you in the snow is to try them in the snow but that could be a pain if it does not work out for you. If you would get stuck you could use your fel to push yourself out. I am hopping I will not need chains for my 4240, some guys on here are getting by without them.

Here is some rubber tire chains I just found. That may be something for you to consider. I dont know how well they would work.
Rubber Tire (Snow) Chains - Traction without damage.

On my 8N, I had loaded R1's, chains, and a rear blade. I had to run chains on this tractor when clearing snow. Almost unstoppable, but it marked our asphalt driveway up pretty good. On my L3940 with turfs, I only use a rear ballast box and front blade only. For some snows I do not even engage 4wd. My turfs are very aggressive looking with deep tread and lots of sipes. No chains are needed. They perform in dirt for FEL work very well also. If I get into sloppy mud, there is a better tire choice, but for my uses, they have served me well. Philip.

Attachments

• TIRES01.jpg
    TIRES01.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 326
  • FBLADE12.jpg
    FBLADE12.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 325
   / Industrial tire vs Turf tire #20  
PHILIP8N said:
On my 8N, I had loaded R1's, chains, and a rear blade. I had to run chains on this tractor when clearing snow. Almost unstoppable, but it marked our asphalt driveway up pretty good. On my L3940 with turfs, I only use a rear ballast box and front blade only. For some snows I do not even engage 4wd. My turfs are very aggressive looking with deep tread and lots of sipes. No chains are needed. They perform in dirt for FEL work very well also. If I get into sloppy mud, there is a better tire choice, but for my uses, they have served me well. Philip.

Those are some nasty looking turf tires.