Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #1  

cckjone

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
I've looked at a number of Post Hole Diggers for my BX2200 and was concerned, would it fit (with enough ground clearance ), be heavy-duty enough for work on my property here in Maine and within my budget? I purchased a Leinbach 7200 Jr. from eBay that is specially designed for sub-compact tractors like the BX2200. Here it is attached to my tractor with an amazing 24"+ of ground clearance.

Attachments

• 670436-7200_Jr.jpg
    670436-7200_Jr.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 845
   / Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #2  
What do you call "inexpensive". Have you dug holes with it yet? How does it handle the hard Maine Potatoes???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX
I take exception with referring to Maine's world famous (delicious and nutritious) potatoes as being 'hard'. But you're right about ‘inexpensive’ because its such a relative term. I paid $440 and it was shipped directly from Lienbach. That’s about 1/2 the price my dealer quoted me for a Woods PHD. I connected the auger with the supplied shear bolts, filled-up the gear-box with 90 weight and dug a few holes to plant some flowing crab apple trees. The PHD cut into the rocky soil without any problems. The real test will be when I install the new fence line in a few weeks. So far, I’m pleased with the purchase.

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #5  
I got a quote of $550 for the Woods Estate PHD with a 9" auger. Seems like yours is a better deal with the 12" auger. How expensive was the freight????? The $550 was local with an additional 6% tax.

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #6  
Is it easier and better to drill a hole for a fence post with a 9 inch or a 12 inch?

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it easier and better to drill a hole for a fence post with a 9 inch or a 12 inch? )</font>

I suspect the following information would help in getting an answer from some of the fence builders on the forum.

What type of fence post, length, diameter, and how deep will they be in the ground?

What type of soil?

Are you going to tamp the posts in or pour concrete around them?

What type of fence material?

How far apart are the posts going to be?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill Tolle

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #8  
I have been digging a lot of post holes lately. I use a Greenline EM 5000 PHD with an extremely agressive Danuser 9 inch auger. The greenline auger would not work in hard clay soil without down pressure (my partner standing on the gearbox) so I bought the Danuser. I'm very impressed with it.

I make a 9 inch hole 4 feet deep for 4x4 inch fence posts and concrete them in. 6x6 inch posts require a 12 inch hole. Eight feet apart seems to be the norm around here.

Dean

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Is it easier and better to drill a hole for a fence post with a 9 inch or a 12 inch? )</font>

I suspect the following information would help in getting an answer from some of the fence builders on the forum.

What type of fence post, length, diameter, and how deep will they be in the ground?

What type of soil?

Are you going to tamp the posts in or pour concrete around them?

What type of fence material?

How far apart are the posts going to be?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill Tolle )</font>

In GA red clay I have been using 4" round posts for the main run, 6" round for the corners, and I space them 8' apart for wood fence & 10' apart for field fence. Most of my field fence is done with steel posts driven by hand drivers. On all the wood corner posts and brace posts I kick in a little soil and tamp it in with HD steel tamp rod at the bottom then add more soil and fill with concrete at the top, fast dry type that doesn't require mixing. Just pour in dry and add water. I still mix it a little right in the hole with my tamp rod and once it sets up(2 hours) you can hang the wire & gates same day.

It's been holding up really well.

Last week I had a very large white pine fall and landed on a corner post section and go right though a metal gate. The gate was smashed all the way to the ground and where it hit the corner post horizontal support it snapped the 4" PT brace. All vertical posts were fine. Not loose, no damage. I just hung a new gate and replaced the vertical support and spliced in a short pc of new wire. Those new wire crimp splice kits are the way to go, no twisting wire. Field fence has 10 horz. wires and 10 crimps is so much easier and cleaner than 10 twisted wire splices.

Good luck with your fence.

/ Inexpensive eBay PHD for BX
The length of the auger is 42" and it is a 12" bit. Shipping was a big cost ($115) so if you can pick up locally, that's the way to go.