Informed opinions needed

/ Informed opinions needed #1  

mike5.56

I've been threatening to buy a tractor for over two years now. After going through three moves, trying to build a house and finally buying a house out of frustration with the building industry, I'm settled in a nice place 20 minutes from my land, and am ready to pull the trigger on a tractor. My two finalists are the John Deere 990/4005 with 300CX loader and MX6 bush hog for $22,100 not including tax, or a Kubota L4400 HST with LA723 (I think that's the correct number) loader and Landpride Medium duty bush hog for $22,193 not including tax. The gear version of the L4400 is $600 less than the HST. Both are available with 60 day financing, JD with no down, Kubota with 15%.

Any opinions from owners/operators on either of these two are appreciated. I don't think I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but I haven't found a match for this size in these two manufacturers other than these. Both dealers are local to where I live, both have mobile repair and will come get the tractor if it breaks beyond the capabilities of their mobile unit. JD has a flat fee, and Kubota is an hourly. My property is 30 minutes from each. The JD warranty is somewhat better covering the entire tractor/loader for 3 years/2000 hours, and the Kubota is 3 years on the drivetrain, two on the loader and other tractor systems and two on the bush hog gearbox.

I am very nervous about going into debt right now, since I have none but my house, but I think prices will probably get much more expensive over the next two years. Locking in at 0% is virtually free money, and appealing from that standpoint.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

/ Informed opinions needed #2  
Mike, I'm afraid that's kind of like asking whether you should buy a Ford or a Chevrolet pickup. They're both good, and apparently both dealers are good, so sit on each tractor for a little while and buy the one you like best.;) You really can't hardly go wrong with either one.

/ Informed opinions needed
That's kind of what i thought, but was still looking for idiosyncrosies pertaining to each by operators.

BTW, The price of the L4400 was $22194 without the bush hog. He said he would sell me the cutter for $2000 and finance it with the package; so I guess the price advantage goes to Deere.

Thanks for the reply.

/ Informed opinions needed #4  
The JD warranty is somewhat better covering the entire tractor/loader for 3 years/2000 hours, and the Kubota is 3 years on the drivetrain, two on the loader and other tractor systems and two on the bush hog gearbox.

Not true. Unless you are buying an extended warrenty, Deere and Kubota both have the same coverage.

/ Informed opinions needed #5  
Mike I have to agree with Bird, however, I used to own a JD990 and now own a Kubota L3400HST. The Kubota is a newer machine but I feel that it is built better than the 990. JMHO. The JD front wheel broke off twice on me. I mean broke off right at the knuckle. I know I'm going to get flack for this post.

You are looking at a L4400 which I wish I would have purchased but i think the 3400 is close for this comparison.

In the end make a decision that you are comfortable with and then forget about it.

KB

/ Informed opinions needed #6  
i don't own either one, but i do own a John Deere 5203. if you can find a 990 still sitting on a dealers lot, i think you should be able to "steal it" as i'm sure they are pretty desperate to get rid of it due to the release of the 4005. i don't know how much has changed between the two tractors but i can tell you that there are more L4400 owners on here then i see 4005 owners. another thing you need to consider is 3 point lift capacity. i have heard several owners of this size tractor claim they feel unstable with a 6' medium duty mower on the back of their tractor and it pushes the lift capacity. i have an MX6 and behind a 56hp utility tractor, it makes it squat, although ever so slightly. it's just a heavy attatchment(around 1,200lbs with chains front and rear). personal opinion, i would go with the Kubota simply for the HST. i think you would enjoy that more then a gear drive.

/ Informed opinions needed #7  
Mike I have two Kubotas, one larger and one smaller and am very pleased with mine. That said they will break also. If were buying today would get the pumpkin again. But my question is a side bar on yours and probably am off since those above me have no commented on it, but the $2,000 for your cutter to me seems high. That may be a very good price for the Landpride mower you are looking at and Landpride is not a popular brand here. kt

/ Informed opinions needed #8  
to compare what he said, i paid $2,200 for a brand new John Deere MX6 with front and rear chains about 2 months ago.

Thanks for all of the replies. It's a difficult decision for me. The L4400 has a slight advantage as to lift capacity on the 3 pt. hitch, and the HST is easier to maneuver, but cuts PTO power. It's making my head hurt! Guess I'll go visit both dealerships again tomorrow.

Messick Farm Eqp.,
I don't know what's true or not true. I just know what the sales guys told me, and that was it. If they're identical, which one is it and what is it if neither? What is the Kubota warranty?