Informed opinions needed

/ Informed opinions needed
kthompson,
I don't know what the MSRP is on the Landpride. He told me he would sell it to me for $2000, and he said that it was usually more expensive than that. They didn't have any price tags that I could see, so I have to go on his word.

/ Informed opinions needed #12  
The JD warranty you listed is correct. 2000 hours / 3 years.

/ Informed opinions needed #13  
Mike;
I don't know how much property you will be using the tractor on or what all you will actually be doing with it, but one question you have is very easy to answer. The $600 dollars extra for the HST will be the best $600 you can spend. The HP difference at the PTO can be noticed on the specifications sheet, but is so negligible; you won't notice it at all in actual use.
Between the JD and Kubota, I made similar comparisons of smaller versions and bought the orange one.
The L4400 is a fine tractor, but its greatest asset is HP. Fine with the PTO for using a 6 foot rotary cutter, but useless for dirt moving if the wheels are spinning. It's a good bit more expensive than its 2800/3400 little brothers, and while certainly capable of more work, it's bigger and less maneuverable. Those smaller L's are today's value leaders when considering what they do and how much it cost to do it. Sorry, didn't mean to steer the post away from the size you've chosen, but even with the 2800, I've wondered a couple times if I'd rather have something a little smaller when maneuvering close to structures with the loader and backhoe attached.

/ Informed opinions needed #14  
That's kind of what i thought, but was still looking for idiosyncrosies pertaining to each by operators.

BTW, The price of the L4400 was $22194 without the bush hog. He said he would sell me the cutter for $2000 and finance it with the package; so I guess the price advantage goes to Deere.

Thanks for the reply.

$2K is a lot for a 6-ft brush hog. I bought a Hawkline 6-ft hog last March for $1150 along with my new Mahindra 5525. I has a 50-hp gearbox and 1/4" thick steel deck. You're paying a lot for a green-yellow paint job.

/ Informed opinions needed #15  
Something to keep in mind :
The bigger you go the more nimbleness and maneuverability you loose and the more it cost to transport it from place to place.
L . B .
Mike;
I don't know how much property you will be using the tractor on or what all you will actually be doing with it, but one question you have is very easy to answer. The $600 dollars extra for the HST will be the best $600 you can spend. The HP difference at the PTO can be noticed on the specifications sheet, but is so negligible; you won't notice it at all in actual use.
Between the JD and Kubota, I made similar comparisons of smaller versions and bought the orange one.
The L4400 is a fine tractor, but its greatest asset is HP. Fine with the PTO for using a 6 foot rotary cutter, but useless for dirt moving if the wheels are spinning. It's a good bit more expensive than its 2800/3400 little brothers, and while certainly capable of more work, it's bigger and less maneuverable. Those smaller L's are today's value leaders when considering what they do and how much it cost to do it. Sorry, didn't mean to steer the post away from the size you've chosen, but even with the 2800, I've wondered a couple times if I'd rather have something a little smaller when maneuvering close to structures with the loader and backhoe attached.

/ Informed opinions needed #16  
As mentioned earlier, if the difference is an orange HST or a green GEAR then I would without hesitation go for the HST. Once you use a loader with HST you won't go back to gear.

Having said that, maybe the JD has shuttle? I have never used a shuttle so i don't know how it compares to HST. I personally think the HST allows YOU to make the machine more productive. Even with a lower PTO HP the HST allows you to vary ground speed if/when you find the PTO overloaded.

Enjoy the new tool! (not toy!)

Mike

/ Informed opinions needed
Crash,
I have 70 ac, 55 of which is in hardwood timber 50+years old, and 15 in pasture. There are three drainages on the property, some are steep, but the TVA put a 150' powerline through the middle of the timber, which is 6 of the 15 ac of pasture, and they left a skid road which is passable. I want to cut the pasture, plow the powerline, do some limited timbering for firewood, and build some berms for shooting. It also has an 1100' chert driveway that needs maintenance.

My house, which is 20 minutes from my land, has 3 ac, all yard with a few trees, upon which I want to plant a small vineyard and orchard, as well as a large garden. I was considering the L3400, because of the size, but thought that a 6' cutter would be more efficient on 15 ac, and the L3400 won't utilize that size cutter very well. I'm all for smaller, especially when moving through timber, and if the opinions are such that most think the smaller tractor will do the job better, I might have to rethink my choices as to size.

Thanks again for the info. Keep it coming.

/ Informed opinions needed #18  
I have 35 acres here that is a lot like you described your place and 3 acres down in Florida. I maintain both with my tractor. I also cut my grandmother's pasture a few times a year to keep the weeds down (12 acres). A 5ft brushhog does the job exceptionally. My tractor is an L3130.

Both that you mentioned are great tractors. I know that doesn't help much, but just a thought. As for HST over gear...man, I've driven both geared and HST. HST is the best thing since sliced bread. You won't regret getting HST...that's for sure.

As for PTO power loss caused by HST leeching, it's negligible on the two models you mentioned. You won't even notice it, especially on a 6ft bushhog, with that many existing tractor hp.

As for a smaller tractor with that kind of mowing acreage, you'll be spending a little more time in the seat, that's all. Smaller tractors can perform 95% of the jobs a slightly larger one can, but it just takes a little longer...depends on how much time you have!

Oh...not sure if the warranties are the same, but no matter, Kubota's don't need no stinkin' warranty:p...just kidding all you JD owners.

One last thing. I wouldn't pay 2k for a landpride 6ft bushhog! That's high for this part of the country...really high! I just bought a 5 ft. Rhino with slip clutch for $1236.00 out the door from my local JD dealer. I looked at Landprides at Kubota and it was cheaper for the same size, but I liked the sloping atop the Rhino's better. Doesn't hold as much dirt/debris and water, so it won't rust out as quickly. Don't fall for that bs. I feel you can do better. Someone is trying to pad his bonus check.

Kubota-Rhino160.JPG

Podunk

Last edited:
   / Informed opinions needed #19  
Mike, I'll add my two cents worth here. According to the quick scan of the JD990 it's a collar shift and and the Kubota has a shuttle shift. If your staying with those two models then the Kubota will be alot easier to use. BTW; if you're only using the FEL occasionally then shuttle will be fine. Now here is where I disagree with your picks and keep in mind that this is only my opinion. I'd look at a larger tractor. Things that I base this on is that you've mentioned 70 acres of which 15 are in pasture and the rest are in timber. A larger tractor will mow your fields faster (in general) and will be able to handle the timber easier and safer. Depending on what you have envisioned in the near and far future with the current choices you've mention it would probably be a safe bet that after a few years you'll be wanting to go larger. As far as pricing that you will have to ultimately work out with your dealer and other half:) but I don't think you'd be disappointed. You've quoted about $22K for each of the machines. What I paid for my 5103, FEL (73'), 6ft. rotary cutter, and 6ft. HD box blade was just over $21K. I could have moved up to the the 5203 or 5303 for not much more but as I only have 25 acres all of which are in level pasture I didn't feel the extra horsepower was needed and the only time I've reconsider was using the box blade with the scarifiers extended all the way down and trying to rip and drag in one pass. My 5103 is extremely stable and as long as I'm not trying to push the shuttle shift to fast I can use the FEL without the clutch. Over all I'm extremely please with the tractor.

Good luck on your decision.

/ Informed opinions needed #20  
Since you posted:

We have a Kubota L4310 HST w/ ag tire that has worked fine for our ~ 6-8 acres pasture and snowplowing our 800' drive.

The HST is real handy for loader operation and turning tight, slow circles while bush-hogging.

I'd serously look at a flail mower and ask others in your area about suitability for mowing.

A friend has a New Holland with Super Steer about same HP that is much heavier (and stablier) than our Kubota.

If your land is hilly, have your R-1 / R-4 tire set far apart. Have the dealer install the smaller tires to allow (opt) chains to be installed. I saw a Kubota with tires so tight to the fender and housing, no room was left.

Just my thoughts