Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #1  

Riddler

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN75VA, New Holland TC45DA, New Holland TC18
I am trying to understand the details and consequences of installing a P'TO driven hydraulic pump on my NH TC45DA. The tractor has a skid steer style quick attach for the FEL bucket, and I like the idea of being able to run skid steer attachments like an auger, trencher or post driver. The 9 gpm that the tractor generates on its own will barely run some of these attachments (and is insufficient to run others). I can find PTO driven pumps that generate 20+ gpm without too much trouble.

Is it a big headache to develop a good installation for one of these pumps? Does the installation end up being awkward because of the size of the reservoir, the routing of the lines, the need for a fliud cooler and the like? Is the installation and removal procedure so cumbersome that as to discourage frequent use of the system? I am just trying to get a feel for whether this is the sort of project that tends to be more trouble than it's worth. I know that the system components will probably total over $1,000, but that is acceptable given the utility of running these addtional attachments.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics
I am trying to understand the details and consequences of installing a P'TO driven hydraulic pump on my NH TC45DA. The tractor has a skid steer style quick attach for the FEL bucket, and I like the idea of being able to run skid steer attachments like an auger, trencher or post driver. The 9 gpm that the tractor generates on its own will barely run some of these attachments (and is insufficient to run others). I can find PTO driven pumps that generate 20+ gpm without too much trouble.

Is it a big headache to develop a good installation for one of these pumps? Does the installation end up being awkward because of the size of the reservoir, the routing of the lines, the need for a fliud cooler and the like? Is the installation and removal procedure so cumbersome that as to discourage frequent use of the system? I am just trying to get a feel for whether this is the sort of project that tends to be more trouble than it's worth. I know that the system components will probably total over $1,000, but that is acceptable given the utility of running these addtional attachments.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #3  
Hmmm, Possible - but it would be "ugly".

You may want to find out if there is a similar tractor that has a larger flow pump from the factory that may fit. For instance, the Kubota L tractors have small-ish hydro flow, but the industrial tractors have great flow and I think the pumps interchange. You may be able to find something similar. If you can make a pump physically bolt on then the only thing is to get/make hoses to hook it up. Hydraulic shops (or online) can get adaptors.

Just a thought. If it works, it would not be ugly.

jb

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #4  
Hmmm, Possible - but it would be "ugly".

You may want to find out if there is a similar tractor that has a larger flow pump from the factory that may fit. For instance, the Kubota L tractors have small-ish hydro flow, but the industrial tractors have great flow and I think the pumps interchange. You may be able to find something similar. If you can make a pump physically bolt on then the only thing is to get/make hoses to hook it up. Hydraulic shops (or online) can get adaptors.

Just a thought. If it works, it would not be ugly.

jb

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #5  
John

One of the problems with just changing to a larger flow pump will probably be that the reservoir size on the tractor is too small. The reservoir needs to have a certain capacity or you will suck it dry. You also have an issue with cooliing the fluid.

I run a PTO pump on my TN that is attached to the woods 1050 backhoe. It is about 11 gpm and uses a tank that I would guess is about 10 gallons.

Andy

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #6  
John

One of the problems with just changing to a larger flow pump will probably be that the reservoir size on the tractor is too small. The reservoir needs to have a certain capacity or you will suck it dry. You also have an issue with cooliing the fluid.

I run a PTO pump on my TN that is attached to the woods 1050 backhoe. It is about 11 gpm and uses a tank that I would guess is about 10 gallons.

Andy

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #7  
The rule of thumb is the reservoir should equal the flow rate. Add in the cooling, acumulator,...and you get a lot of extra stuff to find places for. Usually it's all attached to the unit that it is working.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #8  
The rule of thumb is the reservoir should equal the flow rate. Add in the cooling, acumulator,...and you get a lot of extra stuff to find places for. Usually it's all attached to the unit that it is working.

Something tells me that if there was a reasonable way to get a PTO driven pump system on and off a larger CUT, more folks would have already done it. To be able to run skid steer attachments on a CUT occasionally for an investment of $1,500 is a lot less costly than buying a whole separate machine (or even renting a skid steer multiple times). While I remain skeptical, I am going to continue researching it until forced by common sense or other factors to give up. In the meantime, if anyone out there has actually taken the plunge, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Something tells me that if there was a reasonable way to get a PTO driven pump system on and off a larger CUT, more folks would have already done it. To be able to run skid steer attachments on a CUT occasionally for an investment of $1,500 is a lot less costly than buying a whole separate machine (or even renting a skid steer multiple times). While I remain skeptical, I am going to continue researching it until forced by common sense or other factors to give up. In the meantime, if anyone out there has actually taken the plunge, I would be very interested in hearing about it.