Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #11  
Andy,

That may be, but with the kubota's the L3410 and the Industrial L35 use the same engine and transmission. Neither has an external tank as they use the trans fluid as the hydrofluid. Yet the L35 has 1.5 - 2x the pump capacity of the L3410. I looked at doing a swap, but there aren't that many cheap L35 pumps out there (and I really don't NEED it!).

Might work, might be a dumb idea - bouncing it around here let's you know pretty quick.

jb

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #12  
Andy,

That may be, but with the kubota's the L3410 and the Industrial L35 use the same engine and transmission. Neither has an external tank as they use the trans fluid as the hydrofluid. Yet the L35 has 1.5 - 2x the pump capacity of the L3410. I looked at doing a swap, but there aren't that many cheap L35 pumps out there (and I really don't NEED it!).

Might work, might be a dumb idea - bouncing it around here let's you know pretty quick.

jb

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #13  
Would you be willing to design a 3pt attachement for this? I'm thinking of a single item that will contain the pump, resevior, filter etc. and would be attached with the lift arms. Now you only need to run the hoses up to the arms. I presume you won't be using the hydraulics continuously, so this would be a clean and quick way to add the high flow hydraulics.

These pumps you mention attach directly to the pto shaft and utilize a check chain to keep them from spinning. Not the cleanest installation. Sometimes a extended pto shaft is used to power other equipment while the pump is installed. Be sure to check the hp requirements of such a pump. They are single stage and the higher pressures/flow require some serious hp.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #14  
Would you be willing to design a 3pt attachement for this? I'm thinking of a single item that will contain the pump, resevior, filter etc. and would be attached with the lift arms. Now you only need to run the hoses up to the arms. I presume you won't be using the hydraulics continuously, so this would be a clean and quick way to add the high flow hydraulics.

These pumps you mention attach directly to the pto shaft and utilize a check chain to keep them from spinning. Not the cleanest installation. Sometimes a extended pto shaft is used to power other equipment while the pump is installed. Be sure to check the hp requirements of such a pump. They are single stage and the higher pressures/flow require some serious hp.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics
Cord, your suggestion has me thinking. If it won't significantly impair hydraulic capacity to have the reservoir, cooler, etc. mounted to the FEL while the PTO pump and hydraulically driven implement are attached to the rear, then the optimum approach for me would be to design a unit that holds all of the stuff and that has attachment points for both the 3pt hitch and my FEL quick attach. That way, when I want to operate the trencher, which works up front, I could mount my auxilliary hydraulic "unit" to the 3pt hitch. When I want to run an auger attached to my BH, or a post driver, which mounts to the 3pt hitch, I could attach the auxilliary unit to the FEL. In terms of additional material, I would need to find brackets that mate with the FEL quick attach and the 3pt hitch arms, but (hopefully) that wouldn't be too difficult (or costly). I would need a larger collection of hoses too (i.e., to allow for hook up when the unit is mounted to the FEL, farther away from the pump and the implement that is being run off the 3pt hitch). In concept though, it seems feasible.

As far as PTO HP requirements are concerned, my TC45DA is supposed to have enough to work a pump that generates around 20 gpm at 540 rpm. If so, I would have what I need for the skid steer type implements I am thinking about running.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics
Cord, your suggestion has me thinking. If it won't significantly impair hydraulic capacity to have the reservoir, cooler, etc. mounted to the FEL while the PTO pump and hydraulically driven implement are attached to the rear, then the optimum approach for me would be to design a unit that holds all of the stuff and that has attachment points for both the 3pt hitch and my FEL quick attach. That way, when I want to operate the trencher, which works up front, I could mount my auxilliary hydraulic "unit" to the 3pt hitch. When I want to run an auger attached to my BH, or a post driver, which mounts to the 3pt hitch, I could attach the auxilliary unit to the FEL. In terms of additional material, I would need to find brackets that mate with the FEL quick attach and the 3pt hitch arms, but (hopefully) that wouldn't be too difficult (or costly). I would need a larger collection of hoses too (i.e., to allow for hook up when the unit is mounted to the FEL, farther away from the pump and the implement that is being run off the 3pt hitch). In concept though, it seems feasible.

As far as PTO HP requirements are concerned, my TC45DA is supposed to have enough to work a pump that generates around 20 gpm at 540 rpm. If so, I would have what I need for the skid steer type implements I am thinking about running.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #17  
Remember that skidsteer attachments are 2X the price of three point hitch attachments.

If you decide to rent skidsteer attachments, there is the whole concern for cross contamination of your 20 gallons of hydraulic oil on your rear PTO pump.

You'll also need hoses and a spool valve running to the front of the tractor.

The FEL arms may take quite a beating, depending on what attachment you use. 20hp worth of torque is not an inconsequential matter. Quite a load on the front axle and FEL to control a bucking trencher that has hit a rock.

You'll have weight issues lifting some skidsteer attachments - better build in 1000 lbs of concrete in the three point pump attachment to act as a counterweight.

Overall, I've considered a similiar project, but decided that I was attempting to have my TC40D/FEL do something that might be theoretically possible, yet not be something that the tractor was meant to handle.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #18  
Remember that skidsteer attachments are 2X the price of three point hitch attachments.

If you decide to rent skidsteer attachments, there is the whole concern for cross contamination of your 20 gallons of hydraulic oil on your rear PTO pump.

You'll also need hoses and a spool valve running to the front of the tractor.

The FEL arms may take quite a beating, depending on what attachment you use. 20hp worth of torque is not an inconsequential matter. Quite a load on the front axle and FEL to control a bucking trencher that has hit a rock.

You'll have weight issues lifting some skidsteer attachments - better build in 1000 lbs of concrete in the three point pump attachment to act as a counterweight.

Overall, I've considered a similiar project, but decided that I was attempting to have my TC40D/FEL do something that might be theoretically possible, yet not be something that the tractor was meant to handle.

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #19  
I've been kicking around a similar idea for mounting a skid steer backhoe to the rear of a tractor. I was thinking of making a sub frame that replaces the lift arms with forward pivot points attached to the rear of the loader frame. The back end would have the quick attach and move up and down using the 3-point linkage, maybe with a way to pin it into position when using the backhoe. I know skid steer attachments are $$$ new but there seem to be quite a few used ones on the market.

Brad

/ Input Requested -- PTO Driven Hydraulics #20  
I've been kicking around a similar idea for mounting a skid steer backhoe to the rear of a tractor. I was thinking of making a sub frame that replaces the lift arms with forward pivot points attached to the rear of the loader frame. The back end would have the quick attach and move up and down using the 3-point linkage, maybe with a way to pin it into position when using the backhoe. I know skid steer attachments are $$$ new but there seem to be quite a few used ones on the market.

Brad