Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc.
mark.r said:
Farm Bureau came out to look at my place today. No quote yet but we will see what they offer. Oh, to back track for a minute. I discovered that State Farm will only cover me under a HO policy which would include using my equipment on my property. No going to pick up or delivery hay, mowing a neighbors field etc., etc. Furthermore, no horse activity unless its me riding around for pure enjoyment. Because we are running a business or renting our barns for lessons etc. they won't cover us.

There is another local agency that specializes in horses/farms that will. I will be meeting with them next week to compare notes.

I just signed with Farm Bureau - they seem to really have it together. Moved house, barns, liability, cars, etc.

D.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #22  
Insurance is only as good as the agent who sells it. I have been with FB for most of my life. Our agent comes out every 2 years to discuss our policy and to make sure we have not bought anything that needs a seperate policy from our home owners and to also see if we need to up our coverage. We have had only one claim so far and the adjuster was wonderful. He gave us an estimate of our damage from a water leak that destroyed our floor in the kitchen and cut us a check from his laptop before he left. Our contractor looked at the damage and felt the damage would cost more to fix, so I contacted my agent who contacted the adjuster. I gave him the number of the contractor and with in a few days we had another check for the difference.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #23  
Just a heads up here, If you have a tractor it must be covered with an inland marine policy ,if you want to be covered for damages while transporting your tractor with a trailer. Even with a farm policy you may not be covered while in transport. Now back on topic,I have been with Farm Bureau for over 10 years, the first few years with my local agent were fine until I had a claim and then things got a little ugly culminating with me and the agent yelling at each other before he saw my point of view, after that all settled down I moved a few miles down the road to the next county and transfered my membership to the new county, no claims since then but the new agent seems good so far.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #24  
cperky said:
Just a heads up here, If you have a tractor it must be covered with an inland marine policy ,if you want to be covered for damages while transporting your tractor with a trailer. Even with a farm policy you may not be covered while in transport.

I think this should be expanded on. I have never heard of this. It is a bit strange. For example, when towing motorcycles you don't have to have a seperate policy. Can you or anyone else expand on this marine policy and why it's called such?

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #25  
mark.r said:
I think this should be expanded on. I have never heard of this. It is a bit strange. For example, when towing motorcycles you don't have to have a seperate policy. Can you or anyone else expand on this marine policy and why it's called such?

What I mean is that if you are towing a tractor on a trailer and the tractor is damaged in an accident the insurance will not pay to repair the damages on your tractor, insurance will probably pay for any liability you may have to anyone else involved but will not pay for damage to the tractor, if the accident is someone else's fault then they are responsible for your damages but if you are hauling your tractor to the dealer for service,have a blow out and it results in some damage to your tractor then get out your checkbook. Don't know about other items like motorcycles and such but you may want to check with your insurance agent and ask some questions.I found this out only by accident when talking with my agent about trailer insurance. He did not have a policy to offer that would cover damages in transport but he was able to suggest other (competetion) agents for me to check with. I ended up with a State Auto agent for my Inland Marine policy. All my other ins. is still with Farm Bureau.

Last edited:
   / Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #26  
I have had my Insurance with state farm for 40 years. Paid 900$ a year on the house .Paid 798$ on the car and two trucks ever 6 month .went to Farm Bureau last week 400$ on the house 379$ ever 6 months on the car and the trucks should have done that a long time ago.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #27  
I've been very happy with Farm Bureau. We refer to SF as "Snake Farm" in my part of the world.

Bruski

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #28  
mark.r said:
Farm Bureau came out to look at my place today. No quote yet but we will see what they offer. Oh, to back track for a minute. I discovered that State Farm will only cover me under a HO policy which would include using my equipment on my property. No going to pick up or delivery hay, mowing a neighbors field etc., etc. Furthermore, no horse activity unless its me riding around for pure enjoyment. Because we are running a business or renting our barns for lessons etc. they won't cover us.

There is another local agency that specializes in horses/farms that will. I will be meeting with them next week to compare notes.

I met with a FB agent just the other day. Since we will be running cattle and have made major renovations and restorations to our place, well it ain't a house in the 'burbs.

Looks to have doubled our policy against the good hands people and am carrying major liability for the cows.

Difference of a few hundred dollars more for FB. Seems like a good deal for us.

Especially since our county supervisor just nailed a cow a mile away.

Crazy timing.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc.
riptides said:
I met with a FB agent just the other day. Since we will be running cattle and have made major renovations and restorations to our place, well it ain't a house in the 'burbs.

Looks to have doubled our policy against the good hands people and am carrying major liability for the cows.

Difference of a few hundred dollars more for FB. Seems like a good deal for us.

Especially since our county supervisor just nailed a cow a mile away.

Crazy timing.

Farm Bureau understands the situation - State Farm is clueless.

D.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #30  
I think every state has different rules, so comments are only relevant for the the poster's state. Here's what works for me. Dad inherited the ranch but lived elsewhere. Then he got an insurance cancellation notice because the place could go weeks unoccupied.

He found that his membership in the Farm Bureau qualified him to get a farm policy from their approved company (California Capital, ciginsurance.com). This was the only insurer who accepted that the home would be vacant, while the orchard was operated commercially as part of a neighbor's larger operation.

When I inherited the place I reviewed this with the insurer, and added liability coverage to make the little guest cabin a caretaker's rental. The only notable issue is that I was told my liability coverage does not extend off the property, so never help my neighbors with the tractor. A separate workmen's comp policy from a different insurer covers any farm labor I employ.

This farm policy through Farm Bureau seems reasonable. It costs about the same as I pay for coverage on my house in town.