Intercom to shop

/ Intercom to shop #31  
Fiber is so cheap you can just run it to your shop, get a network switch and access point and be set

/ Intercom to shop #32  
Did you find out why it failed? Normally direct burial will last a long time unless it's damaged somehow.
I buried a run of plain old RG-6 coax from the house to my shop when I built it in '83 so I could watch SAT TV if I wanted to. Never used it until a couple of years ago when I wanted to have internet access in the shop. was going to run direct burial CAT6 cable, in fact I bought it, but remembered the coax. I tested it, and it showed good, so I bought a pair of transceivers that run ethernet over coax, and have been using it ever since.
They must have used pretty good material in the jacket back then.

/ Intercom to shop #33  
eMarcos 1/2 Mile Long Range Solar Wireless Driveway Alarm Outdoor Weather Resistant Motion Sensor & Detector-NO DIY Security Alert System-Monitor & Protect Outside Property,No Need to Replace Battery

Been running it 4 years now and it still works
Thanks for that!

/ Intercom to shop #34  
We use Amazon Echo's as intercoms between the house and garage. An added benefit is that I can tell it to play my favorite tunes.

/ Intercom to shop #35  
Thinking about wall mounted intercoms. In the modern world, that sounds terribly inconvenient. Working on something, and a BEEP demanding you stop work and run over to the intercom.

One job I worked at had push to talk Nextel phones. It seemed a bit strange when one could simply call on the cell phone, but in fact it was fairly convenient.

It looks like Nextel is long gone, but there are other push to talk phone solutions available, although primarily for businesses. I'm not sure why they don't have family plans, or perhaps it is an option.

As far as the problem with cell reception inside the shop. Many cell services will jump onto WIFI. So, if you get a good WIFI signal in the shop, then your phone should work.

/ Intercom to shop #36  
I just priced 300.ft of fiber and 2 switches. About $300. Less if you only need one switch or go into just an AP