Intercom to shop

/ Intercom to shop #11  
If you have wifi get a couple of Amazon Echo Dots. We have several in the house and they make great intercoms as well as supplying some free entertainment

/ Intercom to shop #12  
I have a pair of Kenwood handi-talkies. KPG-87D. Rechargeable LI batteries and, supposedly, five mile range. Operate under the FCC - MURS program. One kept at home - the other with me - anywhere on my property. No muss - no fuss. 100% operation - 100% of the time.

Last edited:
   / Intercom to shop #13  
This is what i use to receive cell and wifi inside my metal shop. I could never use cell phone inside shop. I also need computer to run my cnc plasma table, with this i am able to do both. I switched my phone to wifi calling. I now have full phone use deep inside steel building.

/ Intercom to shop #14  
I have a pair of Kenwood handi-talkies. KPG-87D. Rechargeable LI batteries and, supposedly, five mile range. Operate under the FCC - MURS program. One kept at home - the other with me - anywhere on my property. No muss - no fuss. 100% operation - 100% of the time.
I was going to suggest something like that myself. When we bought this place I got a pair of walkie talkies for ~$20 at HD for this purpose. They do the job.

/ Intercom to shop #15  
My cell phone works fine in my barn.
It's metal and insulated. Honestly, I don't care to be bothered while I'm there. I'd prefer NOT to have a direct line to the house. If it's that urgent, walk the 400' to the barn. Funny, it's never that urgent
IMG20240303185654~3.jpg

/ Intercom to shop #16  
It might be worth it to pull CAT 5 or CAT 6 wire to the shop for internet connectivity.

I'd probably pull two runs. However, at least for the older Ethernet connections, the middle four wires were not used by Ethernet and could be used for phone or intercom.

There could be advantages of also pulling coax.

/ Intercom to shop #17  
Since the house and the shop are on different power supplies, and given the distance, and the location (weather), if it were me, I would not pull a conductor. Wireless point to point WiFi, or cellular amplifier would be my choices.

Ethernet (cat5) is good for a maximum distance of 100m/330' with good cable. Cat6 is only good for 55m/180', and Cat 6A is good for up to 100m/330'. To me the issue is going to be lightning storms and the induced voltage on long ethernet runs outside, and the different power supply and grounds in the two buildings is likely to make it worse.

All the best,

Peter

/ Intercom to shop #18  
Since the house and the shop are on different power supplies, and given the distance, and the location (weather), if it were me, I would not pull a conductor. Wireless point to point WiFi, or cellular amplifier would be my choices.

Ethernet (cat5) is good for a maximum distance of 100m/330' with good cable. Cat6 is only good for 55m/180', and Cat 6A is good for up to 100m/330'. To me the issue is going to be lightning storms and the induced voltage on long ethernet runs outside, and the different power supply and grounds in the two buildings is likely to make it worse.
Good points. Another option would be to run fiber. No grounding issues, and you can make a lot longer runs, though it is a bit fragile. Unless you have other wiring to pull, the point-to-point IP link would probably be the easiest option.

/ Intercom to shop #20  
My son keeps telling me to carry my cell phone when I'm out on the property. I know from personal experience - it takes the Paramedics 45 minutes to reach my place.

42+ years out here and by being observant and careful - no really serious conditions have ever happened.

I - now - knock on wood. But what else can an old widowed fellow do.

AND - don't ask me to give up the property and move into town. My son has already tried that - once.