Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #11  
Well this is tough. I guess if you don't have someone in your area that is decent, what difference does it make? I love to shop on line, however, I usually buy local. It's nice to do research at any time. I just haven't found a computer with a toolbox to do any major repairs yet. Though a good dealer will be a good dealer no matter where they are, some times it's nice when the guy that sold you something can come right out and check out your problem, place, equipment.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #12  
As has been pointed out, different options can produce widely different results and experience is about the only reliable guide. So spread it around and buy from a diversity of sources, near and far away. Patronize the good ones and forget the bad ones. One must always factor in shipping costs too when ordering anything over the internet. Love that Amazon free shipping.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #13  
Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer :eek:!!

When I walk in a dealer, I always make it clear what I am looking for in terms of service, not purchases. There is one little tidbit I prefer to keep to myself from TBN'er's (no offense please:eek:) that is very clear when I walk in locally and start up an conversation. I make it a point that if they don't want to serve me, then I'll go some where else. period!! I will defintely drive 100-200 miles out of my way to get my service if needed. Going to internet dealer online is definately a option for me as long they serve my needs, but for large purchases I'd always be wary. Scam is a biggest worry. Wouldn't you guys be worried too ? So that being said, going local first is my preferance, then if I get a crappy service before AND after I explain what I am looking for (I am for second chances you know?) then I am GOOONE! ;)

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #14  
I buy a lot via the internet from small items to big ones. We live in a global economy where customer loyalty to local purchases has blurred considerably for a variety of reasons. I pick my purchases based on price and customer service and do my research. I've worked too hard for my money to let it go on unsatifactory purchases. So. buying local or distant isn't the most important factor in my purchases. Customer service is, though.
I spent well over a year researching tractors. I had my heart set on a John Deere, but they are high priced tractors and the local boys just didn't seem up to dealing. The JD internet boys were just as bad--gave me the brush off. Then tried a local MF dealer who tossed some literature at me and said come back when he had some more tractors in stock. Went up the road to the local Kubota dealer who treated me like gold even though I told him up front I wouldn't be buying that day. He asked my needs and reccomended the right tractor for the jobs I would be doing. Three weeks later I returned and cut the deal. In short, he got my business because he acted like he wanted it and treated me honestly and fairly.
And that is whats going to separate the men from the boys. Honesty, fairness and customer service.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #15  
I posted on a similar thread here - but as a noobie tractor owner I felt a local dealer was important - mine has been excellent thus far (17 months and 120 hrs), but the relationship hasn't been heavily tested yet either. They treat me like I have been a lifelong big customer and not just a piddly homeowner. Family business that has been around for like 50 years.

I give the dealer first crack on implements and parts, and again, so far, price has been in line so they get the business. They also are a Stihl dealer, so a bonus there.

Now that I am "experienced" and have TBN :D , I would feel comfortable dealing with Barlow, Messicks, etc. on future purchases - but would still give my dealer first crack.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #16  
I normally TRY to buy local within reason. I am willing to pay a few extra dollars for a product to keep the money in the community I live and work in. With that said, I will not shoot myself in the foot to keep the money local. My tractor purchasing is like many others.....long and frustrating. I too thought it had to be green and yellow. I had my heart so set on John Deere that I refused to consider anything else.......in the beginning. After realizing that my $20K purchase of tractor package was "small potatoes" to ALL of the 4 Dealers I went to within 150 miles of me I started looking at the other brands.....Massey, New Holland, Case IH, and last but not least Kubota. I looked at the Masseys next and had one all picked out and thought the dealer was the cat's meow and then, then I decided I wanted a different model that wasn't on their lot. The games began then! The price he quoted for the tractor that would have to be ordered was more than $2k above what prices were on the internet. He told me it wold take up to 6 months to get it in. I just walked away beginning to think that nobody was going to treat me very well for my $20K. I then checked out the Case IH and New Hollands (same tractor just painted different colors) and realized they didn't trip my trigger. And then.....and then I checked out the Kubotas :D 2 different Kubota dealers ( first one forced me to try again with another due to the first ones dishonesty) and the second one got my money. Mind you there is a John Deere and Massey Ferguson dealership in my town. The closest Kubota dealership is 67 miles away in Cordell, and the one that I ended up doing the deal with is 88 miles away in Duncan, OK ( Great Plains Equipment Sales). Anthony at Great Plains was incredibly patient and laid back; No pressure at all, none, zip, nadda. I went to his place a total of 5 times before shaking on the deal. I have no idea what service after the sale will be like, but if it is anything close to the way I was treated pre-sale then I'll be as happy as a pig in you-know-what ;) I was ready to pull the trigger with an internet dealer (Barlows) but Anthony's deal was within $500 of Barlows and I figured I'd give the extra to Anthony in good faith hoping for good service after the sale. That's my story. Long and bumpy, but it does have a VERY happy ending. I've yet to regret that my tractor is Orange instead of Green & Yellow :p

Troy

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #17  
If I had an internet dealer who was regularly on TBN anywhere near me, I would buy from them over anyone else. The reason is pretty simple--they get a reasonable number of sales through their presence here and they know we all talk to each other and they are part of the discussion.

Every day I get to read reviews of how good they are. Funny thing is any of the dealers on TBN, I have never head any bad reviews.

If something breaks under warranty and they are willing to ship a replacement to me so I can install it myself, I have just saved a lot of downtime. I would rather spend a couple of hours fixing my own tractor than a couple of hours taking it to the local dealer and another couple getting it back.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #18  
I just recently put a deposit on a kubota l48 in Virginia and I live in NJ.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #19  
<snip>

If something breaks under warranty and they are willing to ship a replacement to me so I can install it myself, I have just saved a lot of downtime. I would rather spend a couple of hours fixing my own tractor than a couple of hours taking it to the local dealer and another couple getting it back.
A lot depends on the value of your time - AND down time!

If your business depends on having a tractor a local dealer who can get it fixed pronto can be very important. However that depends on the dealer.
You know that if you need something replaced by "FedEx order" it will usually take at least two days.

There's a local hardware store that I buy from KNOWING their prices are higher than big box stores/internet but their overall value to me is higher.

You pays your money and takes your choice.