Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #31  
If I had an internet dealer who was regularly on TBN anywhere near me, I would buy from them over anyone else. The reason is pretty simple--they get a reasonable number of sales through their presence here and they know we all talk to each other and they are part of the discussion.

Every day I get to read reviews of how good they are. Funny thing is any of the dealers on TBN, I have never head any bad reviews.

If something breaks under warranty and they are willing to ship a replacement to me so I can install it myself, I have just saved a lot of downtime. I would rather spend a couple of hours fixing my own tractor than a couple of hours taking it to the local dealer and another couple getting it back.

Not trying to take sides here, but curlydave seems to make sense here as this is something I would do too.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #32  
Rule #1 The "CUSTOMER" is ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Rule #2 Some People buying tractors and equipment are not "Customers".

They are people that want something for nothing and they have been spoiled they whole life of getting what they want when they want it for what they want to pay for it----that is why so many small businesses fail in America---Because newbies to the business world read rule number one and and think everyone that walks into their business is a customer----some are just pure darn thief's!!!!----most people on this site understand the give and take of the business world---like putting on their own part rather than waiting a few days on the shop to do the job----common sense goes a long ways in dealers working with CUSTOMERS to come to a fair price and doing business--Yes their are Thief's and cons in the tractor business--usually the word gets around in a short time though!

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #33  
I recently stumbled across the thread below related to how two dealerships (Corriher and Tarheel Tractor) pursued an expansion of their business by virtue of selling their wares on the internet only to have a manufacturer purportedly discourage the practice to appease other dealers. This thread was back in the fall of 2007 and it caused me to ponder whether the various stakeholders in this debate (manufacturers, dealers and consumers) have changed their view over the last 16 months on how business via the internet should or should not be conducted in the tractor equipment industry given all that is going on in the economy and the continued build-out/acceptance of the internet as a place to shop.

My own point of view - I hope to be in the market for a new tractor in the coming months. I have a couple of ok dealers nearby but price is certainly a consideration and if a dealer I find on the internet can save me a couple thousand dollars then things would get interesting. I understand the argument to help the local guy not only from a the viewpoint of having someone local to service my tractor but also to help the local economy. On the flip side if the local guy is either not willing or unable to adapt to the ever changing world and is therefore no longer competitive in the larger marketplace then why should I subsidize their endeavor by paying a premium and taking away resources (in the form of $$) from my family?

I understand that there is no right answer for everyone but was curious on where others (manufacturers, dealers and consumers) were on this dilemma. So - anyone have any thoughts they wish to share on the subject?

Corriher/Tarheel Thread

I'd buy relatively simple tractor implements (plows, disc) on the Web. And, since I'm into tractor restoration, it's no problem for me to buy a beat-up old tractor sight unseen on the Web. But I'd hesitate to buy a tractor on the Web sight unseen that I planned to rely on for everyday use.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #34  
But I'd hesitate to buy a tractor on the Web sight unseen that I planned to rely on for everyday use.

I presume you are talking about used tractors. Buying a new tractor, just assembled from the crate, over the web doesn't seem any riskier than buying the same thing from a local dealer.

/ Internet Dealer vs. Local Dealer #35  
We went local and bought at a much elevated price compared to an internet dealer.

WHAT A MISTAKE!!!

Their service from day one has been crappy and all of the local dealers have a wait of a week or more to get in for service weather you purchased there or not. Mahindra has been of no support as well. I would look at a reputable manufacture that a history of working with its customers.