Buying Advice Introduction/Advice

/ Introduction/Advice #1  

HCROW

Tractor
Kubota L4310HST
I recently purchased a foreclosure on 15 acres. The land is mostly wooded with about 2 acres of lawn and 2 acres of horse pasture. The land is very hilly. I bought (first tractor ever) a 1969 Case 440 with a loader with the intention of using that to move round bales, clean up after horses, snow blowing and brush hog work. After using it for a few months I have realized this tractor really doesn't suit my needs. So, my question is, is it possible to find something new in the 30-40hp range, 4x4, hydrostatic trans, loader and cab for under $20k? Is there anything else is should be looking for?

/ Introduction/Advice #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Speaking new, you may want to check out what I have: the JD 4105. If you load the tyres it could suit and I have no problems handling large round bales.

It's a 'bare bones' tractor however there is no cab option. Good luck.

/ Introduction/Advice #3  
I'll jump in and say... no. But, with a bit of luck, you might find something used. I think the cab is what complicates this. Although, for snowblowing and bush hogging, a cab will be needed.

/ Introduction/Advice #4  
Is it possible to find something [new] in the 30-40hp range, 4x4, hydrostatic trans, loader and cab for under $20k? Is there anything else is should be looking for?

Many tractors are sold on eBay. Here is a list of 100 tractors listed now, within 200 miles of zip code 49601.

LINK: Industrial Tractor | eBay

Last edited:
   / Introduction/Advice #5  
I bought a 1969 Case 440 with a loader with the intention of using that to move round bales, clean up after horses, snow blowing and brush hog work. After using it for a few months I have realized this tractor really doesn't suit my needs.

Exactly what do you find negative about the Case 440?

/ Introduction/Advice #6  
New...I doubt it...not with a cab and 30-40 HP.

Nothing wrong with used tractor though...even then, a used tractor that meets your specifications and budget will probably be a private party which means you'll want cash in hand when looking.
Do be cautious of scams...if it sounds too good to be true, or the seller says it needs to shipped or not available for test driving, run the other way!

/ Introduction/Advice #7  
New...I doubt it...not with a cab and 30-40 HP.

Nothing wrong with used tractor though...even then, a used tractor that meets your specifications and budget will probably be a private party which means you'll want cash in hand when looking.
Do be cautious of scams...if it sounds too good to be true, or the seller says it needs to shipped or not available for test driving, run the other way!

advice well given here. imho CUT tractors in the 30hp range would just be at the limit of handling round bales. and generally, the smaller/lighter it is, the more unstable on hills..... when testing out a possible tractor, whether on a dealer lot or privately owned, i suggest replicating your field application as much as possible, not just around the flat, paved lot...no surprises after the purchase! best of luck

/ Introduction/Advice
Exactly what do you find negative about the Case 440?

I wouldn't say that there's anything negative about a 440, just that it's not the best fit for my application. Mainly trying to shift and run a loader takes more skill than what I possess.

/ Introduction/Advice #9  
I don't think you are going to find anything new for that money.. But used, yes, it is possible. You might find a used Kioti DK40se or DK45se Or one of the LS machines for that. I gave $19,300 for my Kioti 3 years ago, but as you can see it does not have a cab. That would have been another $6000.

/ Introduction/Advice #10  
The Case 440 is much heavier than the newer CUTs. I would be nervous handling round bales with most 30 hp CUTs unless you are doing it on the 3 pt. The weight on the front end when hitting ruts and obstructions can be tough on them. Of course the bigger you go the more they cost.