Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres?

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #91  
Well, since this thread has risen from the dead, I will chime in and say I did NOT cut this field since. But, I am a firm believer in carma and as usual carma came back and bit this guy square in the butt.
I mowed this guys field the first time with a little Yanmar 2000BD with a 5ft. brush hog. He LOVED that little tractor and tried to talk me into selling it to him. Well, I bought a new tractor ( Kubota MX5100) this winter and had my Yannie for sale. I was asking 3k for it but this guy came to look at it and didn't realize who I was. SO when he asked how much i would take for it I told him 5k !! lol.. He didn't buy it of course but I sold it a few days later for $2,800. Then, my buddy who lives by this guy, told him I sold it a few days later for half what I quoted him and he let him know why!!!!
carma is a wonderful thing !!!!!

Good for you! ! ! Carma is Great.

On the cutting topic a lot of guys i know have a min. charge of $200 for the first hr and $60 to $100 each hr after that. The first 200 pays for the trip there and back. They feel as if that its not worth loading the tractor for less than that

an old saying my grandpa would say was "i can get up and go to work for you for free, or sit at home for free. . . i think i'll sit at home"

or one day when i had first started my fence company he was helping out, we were talking about how much i charged for the job,(way to little) he looked me in the eye and said "boy you would have made more money today if when you woke up you lit a $100 bill on fire and went back to bed" i'm laughing right now thinking about it.
good luck

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #92  
I know that cost of living is much lower in other areas of the country, however $300. to cut 20 acres, well i guess i would call that a nice gift & leave it at that!

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #93  
I know that cost of living is much lower in other areas of the country, however $300. to cut 20 acres, well i guess i would call that a nice gift & leave it at that!

I would not assume that most goods including tractors and fuel are cheaper in other parts of the country. Some things are cheaper but not many.

The property owner is looking for a deal, and I wouldn't be a taker or sucker.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #94  
I do it only for the pocket change and enjoyment, and quote 55 an hour. I won't get rich, yet if someone gripes it's too much I just mention what it would cost them for the equipment to mow their own field. :laughing:

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #95  
I mow 15 of my acres every 2 weeks and it takes me less than 3 hours. So figure 4 hours for the 20 - 22 acre field and at $300 it comes out to $75 an hour. Factoring in your fuel and wear and tear, that's a very reasonable price. I'd stick to your price and if he doesn't want to pay it then he can find someone else to mow it.

You can't make him pay more because you don't have the right equipment and it takes you 2 days to mow it -- but your bid is right in line with what I think anyone would have to charge to make anything.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #96  
I have estimated bare bone cost to be $25 per acre to mow and that is zero for your labor. There will be that iron stake in a rear tire if you do enough custom work. It sounds criminal to some but $50-$75 an hour is required in some cases.

Some people are just wearing out their equip but that is OK if that is what they want to do I guess. I do some things without charge. Monday I pulled some scrap metal out of a common ditch for my neighbor to sell because she really needs the money due to poor management. :)

Do any of you charge a min charge or a trailering charge, etc?

I am not good at it but one needs to look at "added value" for the customer.

Who posting here keep your real cost for working for yourself under $50 per hour just for equipment? It can be done but not if trading every 4-5 years.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #97  
I charge $85/hr (2hr min) and $50 transport fee. I have no issues getting work. I also have insurance which most guys don't. I always make sure the customer is happy with the job before payment. Most of my lots are 3-5 acre's and pricing is highly regional.

Matt ;)

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #98  
$65 an hour for a 6 foot bush hog, $110 and hour for a 10 footer. If I cannot drive the tractor there, it does not go. And at those prices, after all costs are figured in, I am lucky to be making a $15 hour wage.

Most people who have to hire out that sort of work have zero idea what is involved with getting it done, and they also do not begin to comprehend the cost of the equipment.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #99  
Equipment Rental, Rent | Sunbelt Rentals

Look at the tractor and implement rental rates for your zip and see what they think just the equipment is worth per hour. There are delivery fees, etc too but these base rates are informative when "renting" your equipment out with an "operator". :)

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #100  
Equipment Rental, Rent | Sunbelt Rentals

Look at the tractor and implement rental rates for your zip and see what they think just the equipment is worth per hour. There are delivery fees, etc too but these base rates are informative when "renting" your equipment out with an "operator". :)

You mentioned a good point here about what it costs for a rental unit. I did some checking on this and found out that a 40 horse tractor with a 5 foot deck rents for just over $300.00 a day plus delivery. I'm sure there must be a charge for damaged items too if it should happen. The bottom line is that you MUST make a profit regardless of the job that you are doing. Otherwise, your working for free. The only way that I would not charge a decent price is if I didn't have any work, really needed the money and others were willing to do it cheaper. The yearly maintenance on the tractor is not cheap either. Just think of what one rear tire would cost to replace if you tore one up on an iron peice left in a field.